Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Wed 20, 2021 2:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mercury Living Presence from Detroit
PostPosted: Nov Tue 17, 2020 6:09 am 

I was at work today and checked out a work-related listserv where we sometimes wander off into irrelevant but interesting subjects. I mentioned the old Mercury Living Presence LPs in a discussion about cut-out bins--remember those? And in response I got this interesting link to notes about the Detroit Symphony's Mercury recordings under Paul Paray.

https://www.dso.org/watch-listen-and-co ... g-presence

If you scroll down you can listen to recordings of Berlioz from 2020 under their new conductor and 1960 on Mercury under Paray. The DSO now plays in the restored hall where Paray recorded (public performances were in a newer but less musical hall that's now gone; they're back in the old one now).

When I was in college the college bookstore had a record sale. Lots of Mercury Living Presence recordings, all new-in-cellophane cutouts. I bought several but that was when I was a a poor student so the budget ran out. Ever since I've kicked myself for not skipping meals instead.

Chris Campbell