Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 24, 2020 1:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The original War of the Worlds radio program at the library?
PostPosted: Oct Wed 21, 2020 9:06 pm 

Article in the local paper that there is going to be a broadcast on the Facebook page of our library of War of the Worlds. I did not know that was possible unless the original broadcast was on records. Was it?

Post subject: Re: The original War of the Worlds radio program at the libr
PostPosted: Oct Wed 21, 2020 9:21 pm 

SteveT wrote:
Article in the local paper that there is going to be a broadcast on the Facebook page of our library of War of the Worlds. I did not know that was possible unless the original broadcast was on records. Was it?
FWIK it was on a transcription record (s). Recorded during the live broadcast.

I have a later LP recorded on both sides, I suspect it is a shortened version.

Last edited by Chas on Oct Thu 22, 2020 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 22, 2020 3:43 am 

I have a later release of the War of the Worlds broadcast on a 2 LP set. It is also all over the internet to download or listen to.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 12, 2020 9:36 pm 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
Chas wrote:
FWIK it was on a transcription record (s). Recorded during the live broadcast.
17-1/4-inch blanks upon which a 16-inch cut was recorded.

Also one of a number to use the outside-in/inside-out format. Disc One would be recorded outside-in and Disc Two would be recorded inside out so that the fidelity of side changes would match and so on and so on.

When pressed onto 16-inch vinyl transcriptions for later distribution, the 15-minute sides were offset so as to avoid having to flip a record over to get the other half. Meaning the sequence was a hybrid of these two:
Manual
1/2, 3/4, 5/6 and 7/8
Automatic
1/8, 2/7, 3/6 and 4/5.
The back four would therefore be in reverse order
1/5, 2/6, 3/7 and 4/8.
Chas wrote:
I suspect the single LP version is shortened.
Maybe, maybe not. Argo Sight and Sound and Caedmon were doing half-hour spoken word sides by the early 50's so the re-issues of this from ten years later would have been no unusual feat by then.

I have both the Longines Symphonette a.k.a. Evolution Recordings single LP as well as the double LP sets.

The double LP sets play about as much on a side as the original 15-minute/side transcriptions, so it could be a 1:1 pantograph or re-recording via tape from the transcriptions.

The single LP versions I have play well over 25 min on a side, so counting for 4-minute-per-hour commercials in those days that would leave 56 mins of show which could easily fit on a single LP especially if it was mostly spoken word.

I have versions of the first two LPs of LS Jack Benny Golden Days of Radio like that as well as the Frank Knight follow-up LP of I Remember Radio in the green jackets. The normal LPs play about 16 min a side or so the same as the 6-LP box set in which they later appeared.

I dunno if it was special for radio or what but I have another one that has the whole first record on one side and the whole second record on the other side, and then the IRR double-disc original is also all on one disc.