Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Thu 06, 2021 1:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: "Home Recording" of a wedding
PostPosted: Feb Thu 25, 2021 4:44 am 

As a small side hobby, I collect records. Mostly 12" and 10" Lps; some select 45s, and 78s. About 10 years ago at a local GoodWill store, I found two 12" home records mixed in with Lps. They had glued on labels with typed on numbers 1, 2 and 3. No #4. They were recorded at 33 rpm, not the expected 78. Upon playing them, I discovered they were of a wedding ceremony. After playing all 3 sides, I recorded it to CD in the hopes I would find the couple who were wed. But I didn't do anything as life gets busy.
Recently, I was on a 3 (Michigan) counties genealogy facebook group. I posted a picture of the records and the names of the Bride and Groom asking for help locating them. It wasn't three days later that I got information; the couple are retired and living in Arizona. I got contact info and emailed them. A few days later, I got a reply from the Mrs. She said they are thrilled to find out someone found them. Now, I'm not sure when that recording format ended, but their wedding was in 1966. Rather surprised to find that tech was still used, and not cassette tapes.
I was told the name of their daughter who lives a few miles from me, and we made contact. She stopped over tonight, and I gave her the records, plus 2 CD copies of the ceremony. She has no good idea how they came to be in Holland, MI, since the couple hailed from Grand Rapids. Of course, the daughter was so excited. Oh, and the couple are having their 55th wedding anniversary in a few months, so they can hear their ceremony from years ago. Made me feel really good to be a tiny part of their celebration.
RW

"Enough...is never enough." Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #97

Post subject: Re: "Home Recording" of a wedding
PostPosted: Feb Thu 25, 2021 5:15 am 

radiowizard wrote:
She has no good idea how they came to be in Holland, MI, since the couple hailed from Grand Rapids. Of course, the daughter was so excited. Oh, and the couple are having their 55th wedding anniversary in a few months, so they can hear their ceremony from years ago. Made me feel really good to be a tiny part of their celebration. - RW
Wow, that is terrific, Not only for the couple but also for their daughter who perhaps has never heard them. I am so glad you made the effort and succeeded.

It makes one feel good to do an unexpected act of kindness. I have chosen to do more of those in the last few months and find that it helps my mood a lot with regard to counteracting other influences.

Curtis Eickerman