Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 02, 2022 8:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Vinyl To Become The Dominant Physical Format This Year!
PostPosted: Jul Sun 10, 2022 4:48 am 

Well the CD ain't dead yet! Read it and weep: https://blog.discogs.com/en/cd-trend-po ... ales-2022/
:mrgreen:
Also: Many audiophiles continue to build their CD collections due to their rich sound quality. A lot of vinyl reissues have been pulled from digital sources instead of the original analog masters. As the last prominent physical format before streaming arrived on the scene, many CDs offer a unique hi-fi listening experience.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 10, 2022 2:55 pm 

fifties wrote:
When CD's first came out, I went to a music store and bought several, including some that were labelled remastered. After listening to them, they went right back to the store for a refund.

When CDs first came out, many were mastered from tapes that were EQ'd for cutting LP masters. This made the CDs sound very harsh and had overloaded treble.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 10, 2022 9:14 pm 

Ken Doyle wrote:
fifties wrote:
When CD's first came out, I went to a music store and bought several, including some that were labelled remastered. After listening to them, they went right back to the store for a refund.

When CDs first came out, many were mastered from tapes that were EQ'd for cutting LP masters. This made the CDs sound very harsh and had overloaded treble.

In my case though, the artist re-recorded the song, and 30+ years difference in age naturally affected the outcome.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 10, 2022 11:58 pm 

fifties wrote:
Ken Doyle wrote:
fifties wrote:

In my case though, the artist re-recorded the song, and 30+ years difference in age naturally affected the outcome.

That's not remastered, that's re-recorded. In many cases "remastered" meant that they went back to a better source than the muddy 8th generation tapes they had been reissuing many LPs with.

I remember buying an LP reissue of The Doors first album in the mid-1980s. It just sounded weak compared to my scratched-up 1st pressing LP. Then came the first CD issue, and it was also weak. In the 1990s, they remastered it, and that CD sounds every bit as good as the original 1967 issue.

Don't blame the format, blame the source and mastering.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 11, 2022 1:04 am 

Ken Doyle wrote:
fifties wrote:

That's not remastered, that's re-recorded.

No argument on that, but it was labelled as being remastered.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 15, 2022 2:16 am 

mblack wrote:
The CDs keep piling up... All of these replace existing vinyl albums. It's so handy to have CDs.

Very cool!

I just recently found an add-on CD player for my car, since it does not have one built in. It plugs into one of the USB jacks, and fools the car into thinking it is playing music from a memory module. So, the car's existing music controls work for the CD tracks, too. It works very well on a 2017 Chevrolet Volt.

The one I bought is called a "Connects2 Adv-Usbcd Plug and Play USB CD Player for Mechless Stereos", but the same device seems to be available from several brands and multiple sellers.

If your car can play ".wav" files from a USB memory device, this player should work. Test that first, before you buy one! Wave files are uncompressed audio as opposed to MP3 or similar files from online streaming or download sites.

Now, I need to go to the music store and pick out some more CDs as I did a few weeks ago. This time, though, I can play them while driving home. You cannot do that with vinyl albums!

PostPosted: Jul Fri 15, 2022 11:44 am 

I've had something similar for a couple decades. My last three vehicle's stereo systems have a back side jack for an optional 6 disc changer. An aftermarket adapter exists to connects to that jack and your iPod. The vehicle stereo controls now treat the iPod as a 99 disc changer with each playlist on the iPod as a disc. You can change playlists and tracks from the steering wheel no need to look at the iPod or take your eyes off the road.

I like having both vinyl and CD at home, but CD is still the most convenient medium in the car for those who have big collections and eclectic tastes in music.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 24, 2022 3:46 am 

I’m Just showing off

Attachments:
50C1D048-6509-4141-A1F4-45D93414BD3A.jpeg
50C1D048-6509-4141-A1F4-45D93414BD3A.jpeg [ 2.97 MiB | Viewed 570 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Fri 05, 2022 1:42 pm 

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/busi ... s/2948649/

Just in: Wow! Vinyl album sales surged 27.4% compared to this time last year! In the meantime, backlogs for new album releases jumped from four months to an entire year! As I had alluded to previously, they really need to get additional vinyl pressing plants in operation.

Last edited by Blustar1 on Aug Fri 05, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 05, 2022 4:05 pm 

We are opening the first vinyl pressing plant ever, in Minnesota.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 06, 2022 12:57 am 

I really don't see Vinyl emerging past being a niche industry, for HiFi aficionados.

The mainstream for the general population has gone beyond having a physical item, and into streaming.

Movies are also in that category. Do PPL still buy videocassettes or DVD's?

PostPosted: Aug Sat 06, 2022 1:44 am 

fifties wrote:
I really don't see Vinyl emerging past being a niche industry, for HiFi aficionados.

The mainstream for the general population has gone beyond having a physical item, and into streaming.

Movies are also in that category. Do PPL still buy videocassettes or DVD's?

Well, I for one still purchase videocassettes and DVDs. As for the physical medium, vinyl is emerging as the dominant mainstay in the audio realm.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 06, 2022 5:13 am 

fifties wrote:
Do PPL still buy videocassettes or DVD's?

I have been buying video discs in various formats regularly since the 1980s, and I still like -owning- my movies and shows, rather than paying someone else to watch what they are willing to make available at any given time.

1984-2003+: Laser discs (including "CD Video" discs)
1997-2006+: DVDs
2006-2009+: HD DVDs
2006-current: Blu-ray discs
2017-current: UHD ("4K") discs

PostPosted: Aug Sun 07, 2022 2:28 pm 

If I wanted to listen to Kate Bush, I'd just pull out the records from when they came out.

Or buy them on CD.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 07, 2022 3:12 pm 

Yes I still purchase DVDs. I don't yet stream and prefer to flip thru my collection to decide what and when to watch. It is still interesting to look at the packaging artwork. As to music, I purchase both downloads and physical media when download aren't available. On computers and mobile devices and in the car I listed to ripped or uploaded music while in the easy chair I spin the discs and decide on either loudspeaker reproduction or tube amp and headphone listening. I have a small but growing vinyl collection. To me, vinyl vs CD isn't just about sound quality differences, vinyl has a different user interaction experience with shorter playtimes and giant artwork to look at.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8