Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 05, 2021 10:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vinyl To Become The Dominant Physical Format This Year!
PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 3:33 pm 

master_of_none wrote:
Blustar1 wrote:
https://www.makeuseof.com/vinyl-outsold-cd-what-this-means-for-music/

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/reasons-w ... r-digital/

Well say, I don't know what to tell you guys who persist in claiming that digital is somehow superior to vinyl. I mean, these articles say it all.

"Vinyl, on the other hand, is a lossless format. The pressings are made directly from the masters and contain all the detail artists intended. This is why vinyl sounds better than digital and the main argument to why the vinyl format has the better sound quality."

As I mentioned, except for a handful of expensive audiophile pressings, most modern records are made from a digital master, so that argument doesn't hold water. There are several streaming services and sites today that sell files that are actually lossless.

Vinyl being "lossless" is total bull crap. It's squiggles stamped into a piece of plastic that are converted back to electrical energy. Plenty of information can be lost in pressing or through playback. Inner groove distortion, surface noise, different cartridges and styli that have their own "sound signature", and other issues effect what is heard. None of those things are "what the artist intended
you to hear."

Oh, and, if you think your Magnavox that uses a clunky record changer with a ceramic cartridge is playing back anywhere near what the artists intended you to hear, you must've bumped your head. :lol:

For one, I don't believe that any of Taylor Swift's vinyl albums were ever derived from a digital master, or were connected with anything digital for that matter. In fact, I know that Taylor Swift had enlisted specific audio engineers to handle the vinyl recordings. Now I can't speak for the other recording artists as to how their vinyl issues were derived.

Regarding my phonograph, it isn't a Magnavox, but rather a 1963 Zenith (Model MT-1959) AM/FM/PHONO stereophonic all tube wood floor console. It's hardly what I would define as a midrange unit, nor would it be playing back what the recording artists intended me to hear. Then again, the Zenith is no Crosley either.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 4:01 pm 

Even if something was "hi-fi" in 1963, things improved. For a long time, the magazies would run articles about specs, a.minimum needed. And those disappeared at some point, most equipment above that without effort.

In 1978, my turntable was $250, I guess with taxes. That included a Grado cartridge, which at the time was better for the money. I could have bought cheaper, and of course could have spent a lot more. A big upgrade from a changer from fifteen years before.

Once you invoke "the rise of vinyl" you invoke cheap turntables and record players. The "resurgence" ten or fifteen years ago brought $100 USB turntables, so electronics inside to convert to digital. So the turntable can't be too good, and demand was to get those records into digital format. People having gotten rid of their turntables but not their records.

But I keep seeing new record players for sale, nice and cheap. Another indicator people are buying vinyl for reasons other than sound.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 4:18 pm 

Blustar1 wrote:

For one, I don't believe that any of Taylor Swift's vinyl albums were ever derived from a digital master, or were connected with anything digital for that matter. In fact, I know that Taylor Swift had enlisted specific audio engineers to handle the vinyl recordings. Now I can't speak for the other recording artists as to how their vinyl issues were derived.

Do you mean that they used analog tape in the recording studio? I don't believe they do that anymore. If they did, you'd hear a little tape hiss. If they recorded "direct to disc", it would say so on the album cover.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 5:50 pm 

Ken Doyle wrote:
Blustar1 wrote:

Do you mean that they used analog tape in the recording studio? I don't believe they do that anymore. If they did, you'd hear a little tape hiss. If they recorded "direct to disc", it would say so on the album cover.

There weren't any specifics other than the separate analog and digital recording engineers, but Taylor Swift said that she grew up with vinyl, and I knew that she placed special emphasis as to insure that her vinyl albums were just that.

Last edited by Blustar1 on Oct Sat 02, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 6:08 pm 

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54969396

This article, for one, makes reference to Taylor Swifts' 'Master Tapes'.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/short ... -than-most

Here's yet another article referring to the sale of Taylor Swifts' "Master Tapes".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-17/ ... e/12891896

..........and still another article. The way I read it, her recordings were all mastered on tape.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 6:49 pm 

Can't it mean in a figurative sense? Westill "tape" movies off tv, though few have VCRs. So maybe "master tape" meansthe master, and tape is a holdover.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 8:42 pm 

mblack wrote:
Can't it mean in a figurative sense? Westill "tape" movies off tv, though few have VCRs. So maybe "master tape" meansthe master, and tape is a holdover.

It probably does.

And, besides the OP obviously having some kind of hard-on for her, who the hell cares about Taylor Swift or how her music is recorded? One artist doesn't define what the rest of the recording industry does. :roll:

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 8:55 pm 

Who knows what kids today are listening to?

The last new act I paid attention to was the Indigo Girls.

I have bought some new releases, on CD, but all older acts.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 9:34 pm 

mblack wrote:
Who knows what kids today are listening to?

Not me. I don't have or listen to any newer music. IMO, most music made after the very early 2000s is total crap. At least what I've heard of it.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 9:53 pm 

master_of_none wrote:
mblack wrote:

It probably does.

And, besides the OP obviously having some kind of hard-on for her, who the hell cares about Taylor Swift or how her music is recorded? One artist doesn't define what the rest of the recording industry does. :roll:

https://variety.com/2011/more/news/anal ... 118029668/

On the contrary, it probably does NOT. Taylor Swift does in fact derive all of her masters from analog tape, and that was what I had long understood. Get it? "Ancient tape machines". Refer to the above link.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 10:03 pm 

Blustar1 wrote:

On the contrary, it probably does NOT. Taylor Swift does in fact derive all of her masters from analog tape, and that was what I had long understood. Get it? "Ancient tape machines". Refer to the above link.

That article is 10 years old...

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 10:05 pm 

fifties wrote:
Blustar1 wrote:

That article is 10 years old...

............and there is absolutely nothing to suggest that anything had changed.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 10:07 pm 

Blustar1 wrote:
master_of_none wrote:
mblack wrote:

It probably does.

I don't have to "get it" because frankly, I don't care, and I doubt anyone else here does either. :roll:

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 10:13 pm 

A question was raised as to whether Taylor Swift used analog tape exclusively in all of her masters, and I believe that the question was answered. It was a resounding 'Yes'.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 10:15 pm 

Blustar1 wrote:
A question was raised as to whether Taylor Swift used analog tape exclusively in all of her masters, and I believe that the question was answered. It was a resounding 'Yes'.

A question that nobody really asked. You just happened to bring it up when making a false blanket statement about vinyl and how it's mastered. :wink:

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 10:21 pm 

master_of_none wrote:
Blustar1 wrote:

A question that nobody really asked. You just happened to bring it up when making a blanket statement about vinyl and how it's mastered. :wink:

You were the one who made a blank statement about most modern records being made from digital masters.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 10:25 pm 

Blustar1 wrote:
master_of_none wrote:
Blustar1 wrote:

A question that nobody really asked. You just happened to bring it up when making a blanket statement about vinyl and how it's mastered. :wink:

You were the one who made a blank statement about most modern records being made from digital masters.

Key word most. And it happens to be true.

Are you done trying to win this argument, or are you going to keep grasping at straws? :wink:

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 10:31 pm 

You were the one who made a blank statement about most modern records being made from digital masters.[/quote]

Are you done trying to win this argument, or are you going to keep grasping at straws? :wink:[/quote]

Actually, I thought that I had won the argument hands down.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 10:39 pm 

What arguments are you trying to win? You've gone all over the map in your promotion of vinyl.

I think we can all agree that;

Vinyl is gaining a larger share of a shrinking market for physical examples of music.

There are specific recordings that have not yet, or maybe ever will be, available on CD.

The contest as to which reproduction of music is "better" is totally subjective, although digital in either disc or streaming format, has the clear advantage, if for no other reason than ease of use and availability.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 11:24 pm 

Blustar1 wrote:

master_of_none wrote:
Are you done trying to win this argument, or are you going to keep grasping at straws? :wink:

Blustar1 wrote:
Actually, I thought that I had won the argument hands down.

Well, you thought WRONG.

Must be the same type of thinking that a certain Jaguar will outrun a Corvette, a police helicopter, etc. 8)

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next