Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 27, 2021 9:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vinyl To Become The Dominant Physical Format This Year!
PostPosted: Oct Thu 21, 2021 5:45 pm 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/21/arts ... elays.html

Hot off the press!

PostPosted: Oct Thu 21, 2021 7:39 pm 

Blustar1 wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/21/arts/music/vinyl-records-delays.html

Quote:
Physical recordings are now just a sliver of the overall music business — streaming is 84 percent of domestic revenue

Vinyl appeals to a small segment of music aficionados, but streaming is the reality for the general population.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 21, 2021 8:38 pm 

fifties wrote:
Blustar1 wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/21/arts/music/vinyl-records-delays.html

Quote:
Physical recordings are now just a sliver of the overall music business — streaming is 84 percent of domestic revenue

Vinyl appeals to a small segment of music aficionados, but streaming is the reality for the general population.

The recording artists complain about the streaming because they're not getting adequately compensated. Actually, many of them prefer to sell their wares on vinyl because there's far more money in it. Unfortunately, there are still not enough vinyl pressing plants to meet anywhere near the demand.

Last edited by Blustar1 on Oct Thu 21, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 21, 2021 8:56 pm 

The artists can complain all they want. Vinyl (and physical media in general) isn't what the average person wants or listens to. They can either put their music on streaming services and make what the can, or refuse, fall into obscurity, and make little to nothing.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 21, 2021 10:23 pm 

Blustar1 wrote:

The recording artists complain about the streaming because they're not getting adequately compensated.

It's the way things are now. I occasionally go to sites with the latest free streaming movies in order to watch them. Obviously neither the distributor, any theater owner, or actors with a piece of the distribution rights get any compensation either.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 21, 2021 10:48 pm 

The artists have a valid point, yet I think they missed the time when they should have spoken up.

But, this isn't a vinyl issue. People mafe their decision for CDs long ago, and then made their decision for MP3 and other digital means some time back too.

If a reversal could happen, and it won't, it won't be back to vinyl.

Vinyl is now expensive to manufacture, and expensive to deliver. I'd much rather carry a box of CDs than the equivalent number of records. Taylor Swift may get more money from a single album, but it's onky relative to music streaming.and what's better, getting a dollar per vinyl album, but selling a hundred, or getting 10cents per album, but selling a thousand?

The Grateful Dead sells some vinyl, but they also sell CDs, and at least one download, sometimes two levels, per new release. They aren't hyping vinyl, just selling what they can.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 22, 2021 4:33 am 

When stores such as Best Buy stop stocking CDs, but they still carry vinyl albums, it is not a surprise that CD sales go down further. Also, there are artists now who release their music on vinyl albums but -not- on CDs.

Vinyl record sales came back because of some kind of "cool factor", plus so many suckers believe that vinyl records "sound better" than CDs (ha ha!). Retail stores love selling $25-30 records rather than $12 CDs.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 22, 2021 9:02 pm 

ChrisW6ATV wrote:
When stores such as Best Buy stop stocking CDs, but they still carry vinyl albums, it is not a surprise that CD sales go down further. Also, there are artists now who release their music on vinyl albums but -not- on CDs.

Vinyl record sales came back because of some kind of "cool factor", plus so many suckers believe that vinyl records "sound better" than CDs (ha ha!). Retail stores love selling $25-30 records rather than $12 CDs.

No, the Best Buy stores stopped stocking CDs because the CDs were simply not selling, and for good reason. I mean, people eventually became wise to the duping that they received from the snake oil CD pitchmen. As for the artists, they all know that there is far more money to be had by recording their hits on vinyl rather than the other formats. In fact, the Taylor Swift two disc LP albums typically sell out weeks before the vinyl ever arrives on the market. Actually, if some of those were limited issues, I've seen used albums priced at hundreds of dollars on eBay.

As for the "cool factor", many elite audiophiles will tell you over and over again that nothing compares to vinyl as for the ultimate listening experience, and they're quite right. I mean, if you want to hear great music, you'll simply have to pay for it. If you want the cheap and overly mastered 'canned' type music, then stream it if that fits your budget and fancy, or find some thrift stores that still stock the CDs.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 22, 2021 9:22 pm 

Blustar1 wrote:
the Best Buy stores stopped stocking CDs because the CDs were simply not selling

I don't believe Best Buy got that memo;
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage ... pact+discs

Blustar1 wrote:
As for the "cool factor", many elite audiophiles will tell you over and over again that nothing compares to vinyl as for the ultimate listening experience

We've been over and over this; judging the acceptability of music formats is subjective. I remember the sounds of records from the '50's & '60's being played over the radio or on a record changer. Hearing many of them on CD just didn't cut it; they were different. OTOH, someone who had only heard them on CD might find them just fine.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 22, 2021 9:37 pm 

It's long past time to just stop responding to the OP. It was apparent pages ago that there is no reasoning with him. You can lead a horse (or troll in this case :lol: ) to water, but you can't make them drink. :wink:

PostPosted: Oct Fri 22, 2021 9:56 pm 

master_of_none wrote:
It's long past time to just stop responding to the OP.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 23, 2021 3:01 am 

master_of_none wrote:
It's long past time to just stop responding to the OP. It was apparent pages ago that there is no reasoning with him. You can lead a horse (or troll in this case :lol: ) to water, but you can't make them drink. :wink:

Or to put it another way: You can't teach an old dog new tricks. Or maybe: Ignorance is bliss. Take your pick.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 23, 2021 2:17 pm 

master_of_none wrote:

Talking about trolls.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 23, 2021 9:16 pm 

Blustar1 wrote:
master_of_none wrote:

Talking about trolls.

Hey, at least I don't keep trying to shove the same incorrect information down people's throats no matter how many times I have been proven wrong. You have quite a history of doing just that. :wink:

PostPosted: Oct Sat 23, 2021 11:46 pm 

master_of_none wrote:
Blustar1 wrote:
master_of_none wrote:

Talking about trolls.

Hey, at least I don't keep trying to shove the same incorrect information down people's throats no matter how many times I have been proven wrong. You have quite a history of doing just that. :wink:

What incorrect information? In fact, I had previously submitted several proofs. Actually, sound is inherently analog in nature so what better way of recording and reproducing sound than on a vinyl medium? I mean, any artist (Taylor Swift, Adele, Lady Gaga, etc.etc.etc.) will tell you the exact same thing, and that is one reason why those artists overwhelmingly prefer to sell their music on vinyl. In fact, I believe that all of the Taylor Swift vinyl masters were recorded on commercial reel to reel tape recorders. Of course, selling music on vinyl is also a very lucrative business these days.

Anyways, as fifties had mentioned, it's all subjective. If you simply enjoy listening to music from a digital medium, then by all means go for it.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 24, 2021 12:01 am 

Artists (and with the examples that were provided, I use that term very loosely) are telling their fans exactly what just so happens to make them the most amount of money..... shocking, I tell ya. :lol:

PostPosted: Oct Sun 24, 2021 2:22 am 

master_of_none wrote:

He suckered you back in... :wink:

PostPosted: Oct Sun 24, 2021 2:46 am 

fifties wrote:
master_of_none wrote:

Yes, I'm a real bad boy.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 24, 2021 2:46 am 

fifties wrote:
master_of_none wrote:

Yep. It's my own fault, too. I really should stop now. If I keep beating my head against the wall like this, I am going to end up with dain bramage. :)

PostPosted: Oct Sun 24, 2021 2:52 am 

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/22/10482889 ... cord-sales

Here's yet another vinyl update fairly hot off the griddle.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next