Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 19, 2019 10:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Predicta barber pole remove crt UPDATE UPDATE
PostPosted: Feb Thu 14, 2019 4:18 pm 

Going to get a predicta barber pole. If it won't fit in trunk is it simple to remove the crt so I can store it in another part of car?

Last edited by flyspray on Mar Fri 01, 2019 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Predicta barber pole remove crt
PostPosted: Feb Thu 14, 2019 5:23 pm 

Yes, and that's how they were shipped from the factory.

There's one screw in the heavy metal collar the top CRT housing sits in on the base. You remove that screw, after opening up the bottom part and unplugging the HV anode lead at the tube socket inside the cage, the yoke connection plug, the CRT connection plug, and the wire going over to the video amp on the right hand circuit board. Now two people can carefully lift the top CRT housing out of the collar and the base feeding the wires through as you go.

Be extremely careful sitting the CRT section down on anything, you want a very well padded surface and don't bounce it around as the plastic is brittle and cracks easily and good faceplates are next to impossible to find.

You should NEVER transport this set laying down with the CRT attached to the base. It needs to stay vertical and well supported. Much easier to just remove the top section.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 14, 2019 6:02 pm 

Mr. Detrola wrote:
Yes, and that's how they were shipped from the factory.

There's one screw in the heavy metal collar the top CRT housing sits in on the base. You remove that screw, after opening up the bottom part and unplugging the HV anode lead at the tube socket inside the cage, the yoke connection plug, the CRT connection plug, and the wire going over to the video amp on the right hand circuit board. Now two people can carefully lift the top CRT housing out of the collar and the base feeding the wires through as you go.

Be extremely careful sitting the CRT section down on anything, you want a very well padded surface and don't bounce it around as the plastic is brittle and cracks easily and good faceplates are next to impossible to find.

You should NEVER transport this set laying down with the CRT attached to the base. It needs to stay vertical and well supported. Much easier to just remove the top section.

Is there a chance of getting shocked? If so how to discharge it? I guess I can just follow the wires from the crt and unplug from bottom section? Does the crt need to be vertical after removing from bottom part? The plastic on the gold part faceplate is already cracked. That is a letdown that you say next to impossible to find.
Thanks very much for info.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 14, 2019 6:32 pm 

You can discharge it if it's been turned on recently by using a jumper from chassis to a screwdriver blade and touching it to the point where the HV wire plugs in at the HV rectifier socket area.

It's fine to transport the CRT section laying flat after removing it if you take precautions not to crack the plastic. Someone needs to make reproductions since there are so many bad ones out there, but it would cost more than the value of the set to make good enough molds, and there aren't enough sets existing to sell enough reproductions to cover the costs of production.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 11:45 pm 

Mr. Detrola wrote:
You can discharge it if it's been turned on recently by using a jumper from chassis to a screwdriver blade and touching it to the point where the HV wire plugs in at the HV rectifier socket area.

It's fine to transport the CRT section laying flat after removing it if you take precautions not to crack the plastic. Someone needs to make reproductions since there are so many bad ones out there, but it would cost more than the value of the set to make good enough molds, and there aren't enough sets existing to sell enough reproductions to cover the costs of production.

How do I identify HV and where it plugs in? A photo with it circled or diagram would be helpful

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 2:17 am 

It's that big connector on the side of the CRT bulb.

Can't miss it!!

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 5:02 am 

irob2345 wrote:

Can't miss it!!

No, that isn't where he needs to disconnect it.

If one wishes to separate the CRT housing assembly from the cabinet on a 21" Predicta barber pole or table model, the HV lead unplugs right at the HV rectifier socket. You don't have to disassemble the CRT housing to gain access to the connector on the side of the CRT, which is a lot of unnecessary work at that point since it was designed to be very easy to disconnect from the chassis.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 5:13 am 

Mr. Detrola wrote:
irob2345 wrote:

Can't miss it!!

No, that isn't where he needs to disconnect it.

If one wishes to separate the CRT housing assembly from the cabinet on a 21" Predicta barber pole or table model, the HV lead unplugs right at the HV rectifier socket. You don't have to disassemble the CRT housing to gain access to the connector on the side of the CRT, which is a lot of unnecessary work at that point since it was designed to be very easy to disconnect from the chassis.

OK, then do I stick the screwdriver with the grounding wire attached to in the partly unplugged plug?

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 7:21 pm 

Yes. If you are able to see inside the HV cage, there's enough metal exposed to touch that plug with the tip of the screwdriver before even pulling it loose.

If the set has been sitting for weeks or more since last turned on, likely no charge will remain.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 9:48 pm 

Be real careful poking around in the high voltage cage, not because of the voltage but because the flyback transformer is very fragile, it's very easy to break off the connector to the HV rectifier tube.

Post subject: Re: Predicta barber pole remove crt UPDATE UPDATE
PostPosted: Mar Fri 01, 2019 3:17 am 

I went to get the Predicta barber pole and seller wasn't there. I have since got a Holiday and it is home. It is much smaller and fit in back seat in upright position so I didn't remove the crt. So now I want to remove chassis and look things over good. Anything I need to pay special attention to. I suppose info y'all gave on removing crt would be same for this Holiday. any help appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Predicta barber pole remove crt UPDATE UPDATE
PostPosted: Mar Fri 01, 2019 3:59 pm 

I don't know if this link still exists but several years ago I downloaded an EXCELLENT and detailed report from this site by Philip Nelson on servicing a Predicta.
Try this link
http://www.antiqueradio.org/PhilcoH3412 ... vision.htm