Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Mon 20, 2020 10:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Do I need a new DTV Converter Box
PostPosted: Jan Tue 14, 2020 5:16 pm 

Odds are new converter boxes for 3.0 will be HDMI output only...

PostPosted: Jan Wed 15, 2020 1:37 am 

I wish there was more info available about ATSC3.0. Since it works in concert with the internet, I suppose that in effect it is the end of free OTA TV.
In the articles link to by Kevin Clark it mentions TV in cars, I suppose that means it can access the internet the way a smart phone does.
I believe that I recall some discussion that the new TV could be equipped with a camera that will be able to count the people watching and even determine there age and sex through facial recognition.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 15, 2020 1:40 am 

Guess I wont be watching tv if they can see into my living room. Ill stick with my dvds abd vhs as longs as my players hold out and are still able to be bought

PostPosted: Jan Wed 15, 2020 2:26 am 

Notimetolooz wrote:
I wish there was more info available about ATSC3.0. Since it works in concert with the internet, I suppose that in effect it is the end of free OTA TV.
In the articles link to by Kevin Clark it mentions TV in cars, I suppose that means it can access the internet the way a smart phone does.

It does not work with the internet that way. You can watch TV without having an internet connection. An internet connection would allow you to get additional information, perhaps an overlay on the picture showing actors names or anything else that the TV station would care to send.
As for working in cars: All that means is that the constantly changing signal strength and the constantly changing signal reflections and multi-path will not mess up reception.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 15, 2020 4:39 am 

I hope you are right Tom. It would be easy for them to, say, require you to register on a website before you could decode the ATSC3.0 signal.
I recall that many years ago, Zenith I think, devised a pay-for-TV system which had a box that was required to be connected to the phone (land line). In order for the broadcast TV to be watchable the system had to receive a signal over the phone line.
Having to have a internet connection as well as a antenna seems a bit redundant. There are already streaming internet shows (Netflix, etc.).
It also reminds me of the early days of broadcast stereo where there was a system that had one channel (say the right) on an AM station and the other channel on a FM station.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 15, 2020 5:08 pm 

Notimetolooz wrote:
I believe that I recall some discussion that the new TV could be equipped with a camera that will be able to count the people watching and even determine there age and sex through facial recognition.

Such a camera system as a compulsory feature would be highly illegal... It would never be required and if it were to be made would be optional.
Some internet connected smart TVs today have a camera for making video calls (through Skype and other similar services)...most laptops have a camera for the same purpose. In theory cameras are not on if the user doesn't want, but these devices including TVs are smart devices running an opperating system like windows, Linux or Android...computers can be hacked and Samsung smart TVs have already been used to spy on people as have laptop cameras....the easiest solution is to place a sticky note over the camera if you don't want to use it....heck they make sliding privacy shutters for those who use the cameras sometimes, but are afraid of the NSA watching them watching pron the rest of the day...
Those Amazon Alexa smart devices and all the like are just as bad if not worse...in the information age you need to avoid baseless FUD, learn how the stuff you have works and learn how to secure it properly....your computer may already be infected with a bot net and participating in a DDOS attack on a website you wouldn't want to see attacked at this very moment...
Heck if the lock on your front door is old and or a cheap hardware store brand someone could open it quietly in under 5 seconds with a bump key while your away plant any surveillance device they want or worse if you're home..... security is never one and done. what works today can be compromised tomorrow.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 26 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page Previous  1, 2