Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Tue 19, 2021 3:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1950s RCA VICTOR TV SET
PostPosted: Jan Wed 06, 2021 2:43 am 

Awhile back I posted a picture of my old set. Here’s the insides dirty and some tubes laying around.
I’m not an old tv expert, comment if you wish. If you see anything out of the ordinary comment

Attachments:
File comment: Here’s the insides
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 597.96 KiB | Viewed 481 times ]

Post subject: Re: 1950s RCA VICTOR TV SET
PostPosted: Jan Wed 06, 2021 3:24 am 

That actually looks pretty clean for its age. There's a booster transformer hanging off the picture tube socket, so the CRT might be weak. Or it could have been installed to fix a problem elsewhere.

What's the model number or chassis number?

PostPosted: Jan Wed 06, 2021 3:33 am 

aj2x wrote:
That actually looks pretty clean for its age. There's a booster transformer hanging off the picture tube socket, so the CRT might be weak. Or it could have been installed to fix a problem elsewhere.

What's the model number or chassis number?

Yeah it was pretty clean besides some dead spiders. I’ll get those
Numbers to you, I’ll keep you posted

PostPosted: Jan Wed 06, 2021 5:22 am 

I think I can see 3 CRT boosters!!!

I have a very similar looking Australian AWA awaiting restoration,

Read up on "Dim Bulb Tester" and "Paper capacitors". You will want to find a suitable CRT for it too.

There are postings on this forum about the best ways to go about the restoration.

DO NOT JUST PLUG IT IN!

PostPosted: Jan Wed 06, 2021 10:49 pm 

irob2345 wrote:
I think I can see 3 CRT boosters!!!

Uh-oh -- better back off that Aussie beer! :wink:

PostPosted: Jan Wed 06, 2021 11:48 pm 

Nup - on a zoom-in what I can see is the UHF tuning pulley and a can electro.

I have seen such silliness in the past tho..

PostPosted: Jan Thu 07, 2021 7:17 pm 

Greetings:

Just a guess, but Raytomic's RCA looks like it might be a model 24T435, "Sewell" or $460 in 1954 dollars. See LIFE Magazine for February 15, 1954 Pg 41. I think that RCA would be a rare set 66 years later and in such good shape. There wasn't much difference between a 21 inch and a 24 inch CRT to be worth paying $250 more.

Reference info: Sam's Photofact Set 245 Folder 5; Rider Television Manual Vol 14, RCA Pg 134; and/or Beitman's TV Volume 9, Pg 115.

The "Sewell" model is a 24 inch CRT (24CP4A) which might be a tough CRT to find in a 50% good condition.

John

PostPosted: Jan Wed 13, 2021 5:22 am 

Heterodyne in Illinois wrote:
Greetings:

Just a guess, but Raytomic's RCA looks like it might be a model 24T435, "Sewell" or $460 in 1954 dollars. See LIFE Magazine for February 15, 1954 Pg 41. I think that RCA would be a rare set 66 years later and in such good shape. There wasn't much difference between a 21 inch and a 24 inch CRT to be worth paying $250 more.

Reference info: Sam's Photofact Set 245 Folder 5; Rider Television Manual Vol 14, RCA Pg 134; and/or Beitman's TV Volume 9, Pg 115.

The "Sewell" model is a 24 inch CRT (24CP4A) which might be a tough CRT to find in a 50% good condition.

John

Thank you for the life magazine pages. Yes, the Television is very similar to the one in the magazine. If I were to sell it in the condition it is now,how much could I sell it for v.s. Fully restored?

Thanks

Raytomic

PostPosted: Jan Wed 13, 2021 8:22 am 

Then again it could be an isolation transformer to solve the problem of a heater to cathode short, but getting the picture tube tested would be the first step.
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Jan Wed 13, 2021 3:22 pm 

Greetings Raytomic:

I'm an observer, but this forum has many good experts. Below are my thoughts.

FIRST.
You need to recognize that there is no fixed dollar value for CRT (picture tube) televisions. Your best ROI is to inexpensively locate an interested buyer in your area. I would begin by adding your location to your ARF Profile. Like "Detroit area" or "ZIP Code".

Ideally what you want is for someone to come to you (up to 6 feet), hand over some cash, and take the television away. This Forum has an excellent page for arranging such events. Look at the ARF "Radio Classified".

With E-Bay and other services there is shipping to consider and paying 10X+ the cost to ship anything is a deal breaker. I would not auction the RCA if your television is part of an estate.

SECOND.
The ARF Television Forum has individuals who know the market value in your television set. However, be aware that all CRT television values have changed dynamically over the past 10 years, and COVID-19 doesn't help resale. Two things that do help; (a) what is the true status of the CRT and (b) is the buyer able to make a "pick-up".

You would do well to post several clear photos of the RCA along with an answer as to the health of the CRT, then you can ask for dollar value comments. You might get a response from someone in your area (see FIRST). There might be an antique radio club in your area that will test the CRT. You can use GOOGLE or ask this forum for help for clubs in your area.

THIRD.
Be realistic. If the CRT is good, 50% or in the mid-green, and the person will come and pick it up then you'll be seeing $100 ("as is" est) in your pocket. If the CRT is bad or no filament, then $25 (tops) and removal with some cash is your profit.

A bad CRT is a "parts set". That RCA chassis in your TV has many models and becomes a "parts" magnet of sorts. You yourself could part out the RCA but that consumes a lot of your time.

Know your buyer. A good CRT in any 1950s television is still an additional $500+ in parts and months of "repair love" to the buyer. In some cases the repair cost can include a lost marriage. That is your selling market.

Weigh any possible 'profit' against the costs in your area of legally disposing a giant 24 inch CRT. In this area, if your RCA does have the 24 inch CRT, the set becomes a CRT of unusual size, and the owner might have to shell out $100 to legally dispose the RCA. It is easier here to dispose of ("Recycle") a large CRT if you leave the CRT in the set and let someone else deal with removing the CRT.

That is your basic 1950s television business plan.

John

PostPosted: Jan Wed 13, 2021 3:36 pm 

Hi Raytomic:

I just realized from your earlier thread that you're in Northern California.

Even "Northern California" in your Profile would help you in securing better responses and finding locally, interested buyers or technical advice.

John