Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Mon 10, 2021 8:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Your most stylish Antique TVs?
PostPosted: Apr Fri 02, 2021 10:11 pm 

Arran wrote:
Part of what made that possible is that RCA made the choice of using an electrostatic CRT, so they could dispense with much of the extra circuitry of the larger tube models. From what I read the TRK-5 is the rarest of the three console models, I guess that those who had the money for a pre war TV weren't that interested in the tiny screen?
Regards
Arran

Yes, the TRK-5 is the rarest console model. No doubt, for the people that seriously considered a television in 1939, they would've went the extra for the TRK-12. That's why there's just under 100 known to exist compared to just under 20 each of the 9 and 5 models. RCA made one last attempt with the small screen 621TS in '46 and wouldn't attempt it again until the mid-'50's with the personal-portables. It's odd that RCA made the 7" electrostatic CRT's for other companies TV sets, but never had their own.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 04, 2021 2:38 pm 

The primitive styling of all early TV sets is very appealing. My votes go to the impossibly rare Cleervew and Emerson 545.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 08, 2021 12:03 am 

I've got a thing for louvers:

That's an RCA 741PCS in the corner of our dining room, showing my company's demo reel. The tail for the Predicta Tandem is snaking across the floor in front of it.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 08, 2021 10:24 pm 

Tim Mullen wrote:
I've got a thing for louvers:

That's an RCA 741PCS in the corner of our dining room, showing my company's demo reel. The tail for the Predicta Tandem is snaking across the floor in front of it.

And a TK-11 at the side, keeping an eye on things? Nice!

PostPosted: Apr Fri 09, 2021 11:05 pm 

aj2x wrote:
And a TK-11 at the side, keeping an eye on things? Nice!

Thanks. I'm fortunate to have not only a complete camera, but all three boxes -- power supply, ccu, and sync gen -- plus an intact multicore "horse d**k" cable. One of these days, hopefully before I'm dead, I'll get around to recapping the monster.

Years ago one of the major soaps (I forget which one) was shooting an episode showing its transition from radio to television, and wanted to rent the camera for a day. I normally only let stuff leave the house for film makers I'm friendly with, but figured this was designed to be in the field anyway. Oddly, they also wanted the support equipment and the cable. Of all things I was most worried about the unobtanium multicore interconnect. I told them if they lost that I'd kill them. A lot. All ended well, though, and the rental fee mostly covered my purchase cost. :)

PostPosted: May Tue 04, 2021 11:59 am 

PostPosted: May Tue 04, 2021 12:38 pm 

Beautiful Peter, and a nice strong crt.

PostPosted: May Tue 04, 2021 2:22 pm 

Thanks Darryl, The photo is unretouched but is rather deceptive. The CRT really struggles in normal daylight. Perhaps a trurer impression is given here: https://youtu.be/j5qJUuxOyIE

Peter

PostPosted: May Tue 04, 2021 7:37 pm 

Still, very acceptable and a good thing since the hope of rebuilding these tubes is fading. As long as they last for our lifetimes :)

PostPosted: May Wed 05, 2021 5:40 pm 

One hopeful thing with the hobby is that if a CRT made it up to this point with a watchable picture, unless you're using it excessively, the CRT should be fine for many years ahead. I use my sets about one hour a month. In the day it was probably used over 100 hours a month!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 70 posts ]  Moderators: Mr. Detrola, 7jp4-guy Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4