Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 20, 2021 8:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: what is the remote reciever box for a non-remote set called?
PostPosted: Oct Wed 13, 2021 4:22 am 

So, used to in the school i used to go to they had old TV's that they used most of of the time to display a digital clock, but sometimes to display videos as well. they were older non-remote sets, but they were up on top of bookcases, and they had this box that plugged into the wall, and the cable, and then the TV plugged into that and it varied the volume being inputted to the TV and it turned the power on and off to the set. I don't know what such device would be called, but I would like to have one for my 1979 RCA colortrak. I have a loft bed and climbing out and down a latter to adjust the volume on the TV or turn it on or off. I have a cable box with a remote, so I don't need the channel to change with a remote. we used to have a cable box that had a switched outlet and a varying audio output, but the company "quit supporting" that model, even though my friend still has the same box, but I digress. Does anyone know what the device I am describing is called and where I can find one?

Post subject: Re: what is the remote reciever box for a non-remote set cal
PostPosted: Oct Wed 13, 2021 9:10 pm 

ecaden1 wrote:
So, used to in the school i used to go to they had old TV's that they used most of of the time to display a digital clock, but sometimes to display videos as well. they were older non-remote sets, but they were up on top of bookcases, and they had this box that plugged into the wall, and the cable, and then the TV plugged into that and it varied the volume being inputted to the TV and it turned the power on and off to the set. I don't know what such device would be called, but I would like to have one for my 1979 RCA colortrak. I have a loft bed and climbing out and down a latter to adjust the volume on the TV or turn it on or off. I have a cable box with a remote, so I don't need the channel to change with a remote. we used to have a cable box that had a switched outlet and a varying audio output, but the company "quit supporting" that model, even though my friend still has the same box, but I digress. Does anyone know what the device I am describing is called and where I can find one?

There use to exist stand alone VHF-UHF tuners that would include such remote functions. Radio Shack for one place would have sold such a device back in the day.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 14, 2021 1:36 am 

Some of the 80s analog cable boxes had switched outlets, remote volume and tuning. Analog Cable CH3 is the same as VHF CH3 so you could feed an RF modulator into the antique cable box and never change it's channel and it would do what you want.
Sony made a tuner for their 80s high end video component systems I forget if they had RF output.

I have 2 suchcable boxes and use one in the way you describe.

I tend to use a stereo system for audio so most of my regular use TVs are connected to harbor freight remote switched power ooutlets with the audio muted.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 14, 2021 3:50 am 

Perhaps this can be made to work
https://www.universal-solder.ca/product ... e-control/
Some wiring would be required.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 15, 2021 3:59 am 

Here is a Radio Shack cable converter box for sale. Can't tell if it has a switched power outlet. The one my parents had did have a switched outlet. But I think that this is a different model.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324410299092?_ ... 1113.m2108

Edit: I don't see the ability to control the volume. The one my parents had could do that.