Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 26, 2019 7:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA 8TS30
PostPosted: Oct Thu 18, 2001 5:58 pm 

Boy it's been quiet around the forum lately. Just paid too much for an 8TS30 and hurt my back hauling it into the house. How did I end up with this rediculous hobby?!? Anyway, I'll begin recapping this one over the weekend. I must admit the 8TS30 is pretty classy looking. Anyone want to share any experiences with this classic?<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Fri 19, 2001 4:39 am 

My first Classic TV was a 8TS30, bought in the mid 1980s. <BR>I sold it and a couple other 40's RCAs a few years back. (pre eBay, I sold all three for <BR>$200 <sniff> ) I kick myself all the time for that mistake.<P>One reason I sold them and started collecting 50s sets was the back-busting weight. <P>Now I find myself with a couple more RCAs with the same back-breaking 630 chassis (sigh)<P>Eric<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Fri 19, 2001 5:49 am 

I have both a 630TS and 8TS30, both of which I bought in 1954, one in Eatontown, NJ and the other in Asbury Park. Both are still as new cosmetically, and while not fired up for a few years, would still probably work. Those days, the prices were $25-30 bucks a pop for a good, clean, working set. <BR>The tuners in them are forshtunken, and in those days, I replaced the tuners with new Standard Cascode tuners. I wouldn't do it today, but then, the sets were just old unwanted TV sets.(By many people, not me!) <BR>They were the standard for quality of design, construction, performance, stability, and whatever else you could dream up. <BR>The projection sets by RCA in those days also used the 630 circuitry, with the appropriate sweep system and (good Heavens!) power supplies. RCA published a very good paper back book on the 630TS family in 1946, and it will tell you about all you could ever want to know. They're certainly worth all of the work to get them back to original condition.<P>Come to think of it, I think that the 8TS30 is in the gallery....? <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Fri 19, 2001 6:23 am 

I picked up my 8TS30 about a year ago at a flea market for 35.00. It is even complete with original knobs! I have yet to restore it but, as has been mentioned, it has great styling and is definitely one of those "classic" sets. I have noticed that they do seem to be commanding some serious prices recently.<P>------------------<BR>Tim

PostPosted: Oct Fri 19, 2001 5:34 pm 

It's great to hear the stories. One thing I notice about the tuner on mine is that it doesn't positively "click" into each channel position. Is this normal with this tuner?<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Sun 21, 2001 2:20 am 

Scooter:<P>Mine does indeed have definite click stops at each channel. <P>Once you get it apart, I would think it should be fairly easy to figure out why yours does not. Good luck.<P>------------------<BR>Tim

PostPosted: Oct Sun 21, 2001 6:33 am 

Hello all.... Some old tuners have a springy strip anchored to the tuner shaft. This has a cutout for a ball bearing which clicks into little depressions in the front plate of the tuner. If the spring breaks, the ball falls out and you have no detent - the switch will just glide from channel to channel. If anyone has ever found a repair for this, I'd like to hear about it; I have an Emerson 571 with this problem. I think it has the same tuner as RCA used - I don't want to replace it as it has channel 1! BTW, I hurt my own back hauling in a Dumont RA-103 a couple of years ago.<P>Tim<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Sun 21, 2001 8:57 am 

Hi<P> Could the difference in model number be just the year? 630TS built in 1946 while 8TS30 in 1948. <P>------------------<BR>Norm

PostPosted: Oct Mon 22, 2001 7:05 am 

The chief, and I believe, only difference between those two sets is the speaker and the cabinet. On the 8TS30, there were brass inserts on the knobs, and the channel selector knob was different. Check me on this...the 8TS30 may have had a PM ion trap.<P>Most of the 8TS30s you see have a mahogany cabinet. Mine is walnut. All 630s appear to br walnut<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Nov Sun 04, 2001 2:38 am 

On the tuner detent. There were lots of replacement detents sold in them there days. The big problem was someone grabbing the tuning knob, and yanking it around quickly, with great ginger (getting too tough with it), and breaking the detent. <BR>On tuners, in 1946-47, there were not many tuners for the industry to draw from. RCA was one of them, Sarkes Tarzian was another, so you will find RCA tuners in many other sets. The big breakthrough was the Standard turret tuner, then they improved it to the cascode RF stage. Admiral was one of he first to use the Standard tuner as original equipment. <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Nov Sun 04, 2001 2:49 am 
Inactive

Hi, <BR> Use a decent hand truck and it gets easy.. Leave at ground level. Putting three on ebay soon,hope they know what the shipping will cost. <BR> Ken<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Nov Wed 21, 2001 11:38 am 

Speaking of the 8TS30....does anyone have a spare chassis they would like to part with? I just bought a tv, radio, phono combo version that uses the same chassis as the 8TS30 but of course the tv chassis was missing. If anyone has one or knows who might...just email me off the forum. <BR>Thanks, <BR>Tony<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Nov Mon 26, 2001 8:25 pm 

I have a fix for the tuner detent problem.<BR>I ran into the same problem on a 630TS<BR>which I recently restored, which of course<BR>uses the same tuner. Luckily, it is<BR>fairly easy to dis-assemble the shaft<BR>from this particular tuner; I don't have it<BR>in front of me at the moment but there are<BR>just a few screws accessible from the<BR>front around the shaft, which when removed<BR>allow the shaft and detent mechanism to<BR>be slid out the front. Be careful not<BR>to disturb the positions of switch sections<BR>when you slide it out!<P>As was mentioned, the problem is usually<BR>caused by a broken spring clip and a<BR>missing ball-bearing. I drilled out the<BR>rivet holding the old spring clip and<BR>fashioned a replacement from a piece of<BR>scrap plastic with 3 drilled holes:<BR>one for the shaft,<BR>one for the rivet (replaced with<BR>a small nut and bolt) and one for the<BR>ball bearing.<BR>I replaced the missing ball bearing with<BR>an ordinary brass BB.<BR>It works great, though probably not as<BR>"crisp" as the original since the plastic<BR>is more flexible than the spring steel.<BR>Luckily there's plenty of extra room<BR>in this tuner to make these mods.<P>I agree that this is an excellent chassis<BR>design and well worth the restoration <BR>effort - I also have a restored RCA<BR>9PC41 projection TV which as mentioned<BR>uses the same circuitry. The picture<BR>is amazingly sharp and clear, despite being<BR>blown up from a 5" CRT to a 25" diagonal<BR>screen. This chassis also has all of the<BR>required adjacent-channel traps to get a<BR>good picture direcly off of cable.<BR><P>------------------<BR>