Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Sun 28, 2021 7:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Homemade Alignment Tool
PostPosted: Jan Mon 21, 2013 6:17 pm 

I was looking for the right alignment tool to adjust I-F and trap transformers. The particular one I was looking for had a small metal blade inside of a plastic shaft. You cannot use a metal screwdriver because 1) the blade is too thick and will eventually strip the adjustment head, 2) a metal shaft will detune the circuit, and 3) in tight spaces there is a shorting danger and shock hazard. For the last two reasons, you definitely cannot use the small watch repair screwdrivers, even if the head is thin. I thought I had finally found what I needed on eBay, but it never arrived! That is when I decided to make my own. This trick may be useful to others, so I am posting it hear. If you see any potential problem or have an idea for improvement, please let me know.

All you need is a an old Bic pen and a razor blade. I used a nibbler to slice a triangular piece of the razor blade that I then wedged and glued into the top of the pen. Here is how it all came together.

Attachment:
Tool-1.JPG
Tool-1.JPG [ 55.03 KiB | Viewed 2309 times ]

Attachment:
Tool-2.JPG
Tool-2.JPG [ 63.04 KiB | Viewed 2309 times ]

Attachment:
Tool-3.JPG
Tool-3.JPG [ 67.29 KiB | Viewed 2309 times ]

Attachment:
Tool-4.JPG
Tool-4.JPG [ 71.18 KiB | Viewed 2309 times ]

Attachment:
Tool-5.JPG
Tool-5.JPG [ 57.94 KiB | Viewed 2309 times ]

Post subject: Re: Homemade Alignment Tool
PostPosted: Jan Mon 21, 2013 7:14 pm 

I might have used a type of metal which is not as brittle as the razor blade, only to keep it from cracking when turning something that is really tight or if you accidentally get it at the wrong angle to the screw. But there is no reason that this would not work the way it is.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

Post subject: Re: Homemade Alignment Tool
PostPosted: Jan Tue 22, 2013 3:09 am 

Thanks for the tip. I only have one of the 'real' tools made of plastic because one was secured inside an old Heathkit Vectorscope I picked up, along with some other little tools like hex wrenches for tuning IF coils and such. If you have any old Heathkit unit like a Vectorscope or bar generator etc. and have never opened it up, you might want to check inside. : ) Dunno if mine was a fluke where the guy who assembled it put them in there, or if Heathkit specified in the instructions that this is where you were supposed to put them.