Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 24, 2020 9:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Philco 48-1000 Complete - how to restore?
PostPosted: Feb Mon 02, 2015 11:41 pm 

One sold recently for $124.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Vtg-1950-0 ... 7675.l2557

PostPosted: Feb Mon 02, 2015 11:55 pm 

Location is everything. I'd have gladly paid that and more.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 03, 2015 12:33 am 

bandersen wrote:
Location is everything. I'd have gladly paid that and more.

Many years ago when I got into vintage TV's I always noticed that as much as that model is uncommon and unique, it NEVER gained a big following. You would suspect the set, at this point, to be selling up somewhere around a grand, but they often sell for a surprisingly low price. I think the negatives with it is it's very large boxy cabinet, and the rather dull "picture-frame" styled screen area. If it had been styled with more streamline rounded curves like the '48 Motorola, I think it would be highly sought after.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 03, 2015 1:40 am 

M3-SRT8 wrote:
Find another one. They are not rare. Nostalgia aside, that one would cause you no end of trouble. 8)

Lee, love'ya like a brotha from anotha motha, but I couldn't possibly disagree more. 8) 8)

Syder, Lee and the others make a great point, but miss the most important point. This set is in fact colossally rare, one of a kind in fact. It's the one and only one on the planet that belonged to your grandfather. My great grandfather purchased a Coronado console AM/Shortwave radio new in 1938, it belonged to him, his son, my mother, my brother, and then myself. I remember it throughout my entire childhood, and it's been around my whole life. It has no monetary value other than priceless, to me. If the house were burning down, I'd risk life and limb to rescue the people, the cat, then it. The rest can burn and I'd cry but it wouldn't be a true tragedy, even though I have several TV sets that all here would agree are quite rare.

Others have made the consensus that it's too hard to fix. When I'm told something can't be done, I almost always consider it a challenge, you should too. I could restore it without breaking a sweat, and I'm no brain surgeon. You can do it. Just take your time and learn from Phil's and Bob's and Lee's nicely-documented examples, and ask questions here. Take your time and treat it with the care it deserves and you'll have something personally valuable, if not technically so, that will certainly be worth the effort. Buying a pre-restored or "mint" one wouldn't be the same thing, no matter how nice it is, compared with the family history artifact and potential heirloom. You will be adding to its history by bringing it back from the brink. Enjoy what you've accomplished then give it to your grandkids some other day. After they're old enough to appreciate the lineage.

Nothing easy is worth anything.

My two cents.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 03, 2015 7:02 pm 

Well put, WeekendHacker!

PostPosted: Feb Thu 05, 2015 3:55 am 

Yes, well said, WeekendHacker. I appreciate everyone's feedback here. I like the advice to restore an old radio first. I'm looking on eBay to see if I can find one. In the mean time, I'll keep cleaning this one. It's filthy!

PostPosted: Feb Thu 05, 2015 9:45 am 

Where are you located? If you are near me, I'll give you a couple of old tube radios to get your feet wet with.

You might want to get the picture tube tested before you get too deep into the project.

quote="sdyer"]Yes, well said, WeekendHacker. I appreciate everyone's feedback here. I like the advice to restore an old radio first. I'm looking on eBay to see if I can find one. In the mean time, I'll keep cleaning this one. It's filthy![/quote]

PostPosted: Feb Thu 05, 2015 2:35 pm 

Thanks for the offer! I'm in Quincy, MA, just south of Boston. I'd love some test units. Also, any advice on getting one or two on ebay, or anywhere. Ie how to pick one good for a first time restorer, not a junker missing all the parts, or a fully-restored working unit. They seem to be inexpensive, it's just a matter of picking the right ones. I'm looking forward to seeing if this might be a fun hobby. Haven't worked with a soldering iron since I was a kid.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 05, 2015 2:42 pm 

sdyer wrote:
Thanks for the offer! I'm in Quincy, MA, just south of Boston. I'd love some test units. Also, any advice on getting one or two on ebay, or anywhere. Ie how to pick one good for a first time restorer, not a junker missing all the parts, or a fully-restored working unit. They seem to be inexpensive, it's just a matter of picking the right ones. I'm looking forward to seeing if this might be a fun hobby. Haven't worked with a soldering iron since I was a kid.

All the discussion about the Philco 48-1000 TV aside, I wish you luck that you eventually get that set restored. Sentimental value is priceless. If you have an interest in these early sets, you will enjoy the hobby very much. Electronically restoring the sets yourself is really where the fun is. I wish I would've attempted it myself when I first started collecting.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 05, 2015 6:33 pm 

sdyer wrote:
how to pick one good for a first time restorer
I'd look for what collectors call an "All American Five" radio, meaning an inexpensive radio with five tubes (or maybe even six). The electronics in such radios had become pretty standardized by the 1940s-1950s, so restoring one should not involve any great mysteries. If you buy a radio made in the same general era as your TV (late 1940s to early 1950s), then the type of components and style of construction should be similar to what you'll later encounter in the TV project.

Get something made by a major brand -- RCA, Zenith, etc. -- and then you shouldn't have any trouble finding the schematic diagram. You want something with a chassis that is complete and unmolested, not covered with heavy rust. The cabinet's condition doesn't matter, since you're only getting it to practice on the electronics; you may be able to save money by getting one with a scruffy cabinet. I'd avoid getting a Philco radio, as strange as that sounds. Some of the electronics in old Philcos were very cramped and thus difficult to work on.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Last edited by philsoldradios on Feb Thu 05, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 05, 2015 8:22 pm 

Best of luck with your set. As far as finding a radio to start on, the New England Antique Radio Club will be having it's winter extravaganza at the Westford Regency Inn, Westford MA on February 15th, 2015. There will be plenty of radios to pick from at show prices as well as many knowledgeable folks to talk to. Not too far from you.

More info here: http://www.nearc.net/swapmeetinfo.htm

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries." A. A. Milne

PostPosted: Feb Sat 07, 2015 7:56 pm 

Back to cleaning it this weekend. A couple of questions for you all.

I got some CLR to use to clean up the rust and corrosion. Is that safe to use? The areas are the back of the chassis, the high voltage cage, and the covers for the smaller tubes.
Attachment:
File comment: Safe to clean with CLR?
What kind of metal.jpg
What kind of metal.jpg [ 51.82 KiB | Viewed 6256 times ]

I removed the speaker, and found that the center cone was missing. While cleaning it, I broke out a piece of the main speaker. :( Do these speakers last? Can it be repaired? Do we normally have to replace the speakers on these older sets?
Attachment:
File comment: Can this be repaired?
Damaged speaker.jpg
Damaged speaker.jpg [ 62.8 KiB | Viewed 6256 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sat 07, 2015 8:26 pm 

I don't know what is in CLR, but I have used naval jelly to remove rust. Keep the solution on the exposed metal parts and you should be OK. Keep it out of places like tube sockets, etc.

I would not obsess over making the chassis look shiny and brand new. At this stage I would just try to remove the worst rust and stabilize it against future corrosion.

It's not very common to replace old speakers. A rip in the cone can be repaired with flexible glue and tea bag paper. If the "center cone" you're talking about was merely a dust shield, the speaker may still work. I'd be inclined to patch that hole in the cone and set the speaker aside until you have restored the TV and you can try it out. Old TVs do not have audiophile-quality sound in the first place, so a patched speaker may sound as good as a new one, even if it's not beautiful.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

PostPosted: Feb Sat 07, 2015 8:40 pm 

This is CLR:
Attachment:
File comment: CLR - safe to use to remove rust and corrosion?
CLR.jpg
CLR.jpg [ 55.98 KiB | Viewed 6253 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sat 07, 2015 9:03 pm 

Ok, I've found a few radios on Ebay that look like possibilities for me to do some practice restoring on. Two are Philcos, don't know what make the piano-case one is. But these look restorable, and nice looking, and are affordable - about $30 each. What do you think?

I like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1940s-OLD-PHILCO-RADIO-WITH-AN-OUTSTANDING-MID-CENTURY-CABINET-DESIGN/371249849197?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D28808%26meid%3D41b26a3083a34fedbd27fe93b7de57c7%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D131422851041&rt=nc

This is the nicest looking, IMHO:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1940s-OLD-PHILCO-RADIO-WITH-AN-OUTSTANDING-MID-CENTURY-CABINET-DESIGN-/131422851041?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e99698fe1

Interesting Piano cabinet:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-40s-OLD-CLASSICAL-ANTIQUE-WOOD-GENERAL-TELEVISION-GRAND-PIANO-TUBE-RADIO-/141565831198?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f5fb281e

PostPosted: Feb Sat 07, 2015 9:33 pm 

With regard to the speaker, by "center cone" I meant that in the center of a speaker, there is usually a little rounded or conical piece of paper covering the center round opening. That was not here on this speaker - you can see the sliver metal innards in the center. I assumed that the paper cover for that was there, and is now missing, and that it was likely necessary. Perhaps I'm mistaken on some or all of these?

PostPosted: Feb Sat 07, 2015 10:34 pm 

Evaporust is the best product I've found for removing rust. http://www.evapo-rust.com/
You can get it at Harbor Freight stores.

I don't think CLR is going to do much of anything.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 08, 2015 12:14 am 

So everything is getting bid up on eBay. I was 10 seconds from having a 1947 Coronado for $24 when someone with a sniper bot or something swooped in and got it for 50 cents more. So, I made an offer on this one and got it for about $45:

Attachment:
File comment: Emerson 543
Emerson 543 from eBay.tiff
Emerson 543 from eBay.tiff [ 211.82 KiB | Viewed 6227 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Sun 08, 2015 1:04 am 

sdyer wrote:
So everything is getting bid up on eBay. I was 10 seconds from having a 1947 Coronado for $24 when someone with a sniper bot or something swooped in and got it for 50 cents more. So, I made an offer on this one and got it for about $45:

Attachment:
Emerson 543 from eBay.tiff

The Net is great for finding sets for sale, but you have A LOT of competition. I bought a handful of sets from the Net over the years, but still find it much better to deal with local collectors/swap meets, if you're fortunate enough to have a few in your area. The other major issue I had with buying sets over the Net is shipping damage. Almost every set showed some degree of rough package handling. One was even completely destroyed. Some people never have a problem. It's a chance you take.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 08, 2015 1:58 am 

Sdyer just an offer, I'm in Coventry RI, I have someone that wants me to travel to the Boston area to help with a grundig console stereo, trying to work that out, however if you need some help (picture tube tested or the tubes them self tested) let me know. If you want to travel to me we could start checking it out on the bench.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 735 posts ]  Moderators: Mr. Detrola, 7jp4-guy Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next