Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 13, 2019 4:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Philco 48-1000 Complete - how to restore?
PostPosted: May Wed 24, 2017 1:33 am 

philsoldradios wrote:
....Keep in mind that 1940s TVs were designed to be viewed in a dimly lit room. Nowadays, we're used to plasma TVs, etc., that make a brilliant picture in a sunlit room, and we may crank up the brightness & contrast on vintage TVs in an attempt to match that, which worsens the problems with retrace lines and buzz. To minimize the problem, turn down your room lighting and turn down the brightness & contrast on your vintage set.....

I so agree! I had many, many working early post-war TV's through the years and they are typically an interactive viewing experience! Before I ever owned one that worked I thought they'd play like modern TV's, but that's rarely the case for pre-1951 sets. First, they usually require readjustments after about 15 minutes of use, and then you will often still keep tweaking all controls after that. The fine tuning control often has a "sweet-spot" that sometimes changes as the set plays. You have the loudest audio and the least buzzing when you find it. I also agree that a dimly lit room is the ideal way to watch them. Just watch a set with a decent CRT for a while with the lights on and then turn them off - you'll notice a BIG difference!

PostPosted: Jun Sat 10, 2017 3:40 am 

I play the TV every day, as I'm usually in the basement for an hour or three working on stuff every day. It is working about as good as it ever did, I imagine. Sometimes the picture is absolutely flawless - no speckles, no lines, just a perfect picture. Most of the time it is very very good, just a few speckles. I am very happy with its performance.

Here is a picture of the cabinet today. All of the paint is on. What remains is decals then final lacquer coats.

Attachments:
Gold Frame 2.jpg
Gold Frame 2.jpg [ 174.28 KiB | Viewed 3726 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Sat 10, 2017 6:01 pm 

sdyer wrote:
I play the TV every day, as I'm usually in the basement for an hour or three working on stuff every day. It is working about as good as it ever did, I imagine. Sometimes the picture is absolutely flawless - no speckles, no lines, just a perfect picture. Most of the time it is very very good, just a few speckles. I am very happy with its performance.

Here is a picture of the cabinet today. All of the paint is on. What remains is decals then final lacquer coats.

Nothing short of a miraculous restoration! I can't wait to see all together and working.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 10, 2017 9:21 pm 

Outstanding cabinet work. Did you find a source for those decals?

PostPosted: Jun Sat 10, 2017 11:23 pm 

Radio Daze has the full set of control decals at: http://www.radiodaze.com/philco-48-1000-decal-set/

They also sell new faceplate class with the decals printed on it: http://www.radiodaze.com/philco-model-48-1000-television-screen-glass-item-fp-ph-48-1000/

PostPosted: Jun Sat 10, 2017 11:25 pm 

For a full run down of the cabinet work, including working with Radio Daze to create these decals, see my thread in the cabinet restoration sections:

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=307372

PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 2:31 pm 

--> What is the best place to take the set for a trim and alignment, within a few hours of Boston?

Before I reassemble it, I think I'd like to have it professionally reviewed. I've taken the set to Kevin at http://antiquesoundsrestorations.com before, down in CT, and would be happy to go there again. But I thought I'd check with y'all to see if there was someplace you'd recommend instead.

EDIT: or - if you know of anyone actually in the Boston area and can come to the TV, that would be great also. I'd like very much to get some insight into what might be due to adjustments on the TV, vs. the positioning and interference of all the power and antenna cables, connections, devices, etc.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 21, 2017 1:56 am 

sdyer wrote:
--> What is the best place to take the set for a trim and alignment, within a few hours of Boston?

Before I reassemble it, I think I'd like to have it professionally reviewed. I've taken the set to Kevin at http://antiquesoundsrestorations.com before, down in CT, and would be happy to go there again. But I thought I'd check with y'all to see if there was someplace you'd recommend instead.

EDIT: or - if you know of anyone actually in the Boston area and can come to the TV, that would be great also. I'd like very much to get some insight into what might be due to adjustments on the TV, vs. the positioning and interference of all the power and antenna cables, connections, devices, etc.

you allready checked it out. it doesnt need to be checked again. of course a shop could do a proper alignment so if that is what you want done go for it.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 21, 2017 3:05 am 

I haven't so much checked it out as "made it work". I've not really calibrated anything, checked tubes or waveforms, etc. I guess I still envision someone going through it and doing something more, resulting in a perfect picture, or more longevity. Perhaps I'll end up letting it be...

PostPosted: Jun Wed 21, 2017 2:49 pm 

Sets of this age will need periodic maintenance if used regularly. I run 60's-70's tube color sets daily. Each needs work every 6-18 months, and they have 10-30 years less aging, better storage conditions throughout their lives, and engineering/materials improvements on their side.

Add to that there is often second infant mortality to components in restored sets....Infant mortality is where a percentage of new sets dies quick (1st ~month of use) from marginal parts from the manufacturing process. Restos will have that too. There will be sometimes 1-5 parts that test good and work, but don't have what it takes to last. Usually these parts are resistors and or tubes. When these sets were new they were like cars, periodic maintenance was necessary and expected.

At any rate be prepared to troubleshoot this set again.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 21, 2017 2:58 pm 

Thanks, Electronic Memory. I've been thinking about that - how to work on this set down the road. It will be fully assembled. It will be easy enough to get the chassis out to work on it, but the picture tube and speaker will be bolted to the cabinet. The cables aren't long enough to connect to the chassis when its out.

How can I work on this set in the future without disassembling it? Are there extension cables for the speaker and picture tube connections? How do you all do it?

PostPosted: Jun Wed 21, 2017 3:36 pm 

IIRC the yoke is a standard octal socket...You can make an extender for it out of a the base from a dud tube, and a spare socket. The CRT you can extend with the base and socket from a brightener (delete the brightener heater step up transformer). For the HV lead you can scrap a 80's-2000's big screen CRT set for it's HV wire and use that as an extender (stick the connection between the chassis wire and the cabinet extender into a glass jar to prevent arcing).

The speaker depends on what type of plug it uses...If you can't source one, just remove the speaker and be careful not to pierce the cone.

There were also pre-made CRT/yoke test jigs that may be worth using instead of the cabinet (I've got one).

PostPosted: Jun Wed 21, 2017 3:55 pm 

for troubleshooting a test crt and speaker are most convenient to use. cant remember the tube numbers but there was two different ones that worked for most sets if not all. not color however. there may be a test crt for color sets but i never really worked on many color sets. if memory serves only two. 99 percent were black and white in the area where i lived and worked untill solid state. at least the ones i saw. one provision about using the test crt is if the set you are working on has a focus coil it needs to be left off the neck of the test crt or the focus will be terrible. it must remain electrically connected to the set however. final adjustment has to be done with the origional picture tube.

unless the origional speaker uses a field coil any pm speaker with the same voice coil impedance could be used for test purposes. if the speaker uses a field coil then that would have to match the origional speaker as well as the voice coil.

to the best of my knowledge no professionally made extention cables exist but that doesnt stop you from making your own. speaker leads would be simple to tack solder extra wire on to them but not sure how you would deal with the plug for the crt. high voltage lead could be extended with spark plug wire. i saw that done in a video but i cant remember what the person used for connectors. the yoke leads sometimes plugs in and somtimes the wires are soldered to terminals on the chassis. the ones that are soldered can be unsoldered from their terminal and extention wire tack soldered to them. the ones that plug into the chassis you would need to find the correct ends and an extention cable could be made. one could also unsolder the wires from the yoke and tack solder extention wire to them. i have never tried any of this but i think it should work.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 22, 2017 1:06 pm 

The performance has gone down in the last week. More speckles in the picture, and a buzz/hum in the sound that the fine tuning couldn't alleviate. Strange and frustrating, since it had been operating near flawlessly.

I've managed to improve the sound by adjusting:
- screw on the tuner cartridge, which is accessible through a hole in the front of the tuner (i.e. it is designed to be adjustable by the end user, without disassembling the set)
- AGC control (not accessible without removing the chassis)
- adjusting the internal "screws I'm not to touch" on top of the various cans on the chassis (not accessible without removing the chassis)
The sound is actually much clearer and louder now.

However, nothing gets rid of the speckles. I've done some research and two things come up: 1) HV issues, 2) incoming signal issues. You all are more expert than I - what does it look like to you? Any pointers on where I might start looking?

See latest video at: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0f5n8hH4m5dr7

Attachments:
Speckles 2.jpg
Speckles 2.jpg [ 81.18 KiB | Viewed 3422 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Thu 22, 2017 2:44 pm 

I had to make that tuner screw adjustment so often when I had my 48-1000 that I just wanted to leave the screw-driver in place! As I said at the onset, these early Philco TV's are beautiful pieces, but if you're looking for a set that you can just turn-on and enjoy, you'll likely be very frustrated. Believe it or not, in 35 years of collecting I still have not come across an nice early Philco TV that was playing well enough to consider purchasing. A friend recently restored a nice 48-1002 and it worked beautiful - for a few days that is! He still hasn't gotten back to it.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Jun Thu 22, 2017 3:01 pm 

The speckles are absolutely external interference from a digital source, certainly a switching power supply, and commonly seen from a DTV box if it's too close to the TVs tuner. Could be some other switching PS in the room or elsewhere in the house (although Ive only seen it when the PS is inside of a few feet fron the TV -- unless something in your set that should be shielded isn't. A tube shield or maybe a length of wire not routed as original). Some piece of modern equipment, a computer, cellphone charger, flatscreen TV maybe, is radiating the interference signal. Find it and the problem will go away.

I think you should hire someone to align it. Then leave the screws you're not to touch alone. Finding that person might be a challenge but if you know of a workshop, ask around.

I'm in agreement with the others, you did a masterful job with what you had to work with. A+. But even though twiddling willy-nilly with the adjustment screws seems to have worked out for you somewhat, it's important to understand what they do and why. You could go the extra mile and learn this, and spend time and money on the necessary equipment, but the bang for the buck would be small. If you can find someone else with the tools and the skill set already, go for that option.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 22, 2017 3:11 pm 

Thanks everyone for the input. I will look through the inputs to see what I can separate out.

To be clear, I have been very careful in adjusting the various screws. I've tackled them starting with the IF circuits, then moving down through the line of audio and video cans. If there is no benefit, I return the screw to its original position. It's fairly clear the area some of the screws are working in - amplitude, suppression, etc.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 22, 2017 3:27 pm 

You might want to get a portable CRT set from the 80's-2000's to track down that interference. I've seen motors make noise like that too. If you were to get an agile modulator you could try channels other then 3&4 and see if other channels are better.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 22, 2017 5:48 pm 

Is there any way to block interference at the TV?

PostPosted: Jun Thu 22, 2017 6:07 pm 

You could try coax all the way to the tuner. Disconnect the twin lead at the tuner. Connect the coax between the chassis and either one of the twin lead connections. You could experiment and see if one behaves differently from the other, but theory says that there should be no difference. If that does not help then you can always put the twin lead back on.

If you have not re-installed the AC line bypass caps, try installing some. For testing you can use ordinary caps. For permanent installation you should use safety caps.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 735 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next