Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sat 26, 2020 3:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sylvania Halolight TV ....
PostPosted: Mar Wed 04, 2020 8:47 pm 

+1 a thousand times over! Its one thing to alter an old tv and its another thing to alter a rare model, a piece of history. Sell it for way more than you likely paid and find another less rare model. And for the record, I am NOT against re-purposing at all except for rare items like that.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 05, 2020 4:48 am 

Since we are talking about halolights. My dad bought one in 1953. It is next on my list to restore. But the 10K volt transformer for the halolight has a open secondary. What can I replace it with?
Bob

PostPosted: Mar Thu 05, 2020 4:05 pm 

rcewilson wrote:
Since we are talking about halolights. My dad bought one in 1953. It is next on my list to restore. But the 10K volt transformer for the halolight has a open secondary. What can I replace it with?
Bob

The folks that have reference material need a model or chassis number to help. They made halo-lite sets for about a decade and every year or two redesigned the electronics so we need to know which one. If you have the Sam's Photofact for your model look it up in the parts list Sam's will list the OEM number (which is more helpful than chassis and model) and often 1-4 third party replacement part numbers.

It may take a while to find one even knowing all compatible parts.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 05, 2020 5:05 pm 

rcewilson wrote:
Bob

I would think a small neon sign transformer would work. You can even get dimmable electronic ones which are also very efficient.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 06, 2020 2:39 am 

The Sams for models 331 and 336 dated 1954 is on the ETF website. http://www.earlytelevision.org/pdf/sylv ... _248-9.pdf

The parts list calls for a Sylvania part number 141-0037 with a secondary of 1600VAC and specs the Merit P-3170 as a sub with a note to ignore the filament windings. So happens there is one on eBay now. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Merit-Coil ... 2957225861

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries." A. A. Milne

PostPosted: Mar Fri 06, 2020 8:11 pm 

I guess my memory was incorrect on the voltage. It says 1200 VAC.
Chassis #521-1. The Telaide book say part number TSY111-T.
I took the tube out to clean it once and its a odd looking tube with terminals on each end.

Bob

PostPosted: Mar Fri 06, 2020 9:26 pm 

I happen to have the Sams (285-14) for chassis 1-521-1. It is dated 1955. The Sylvania part number for the transformer is 141-0030 and the subs listed are Merit P-3065 and Thordarson 22R43.

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries." A. A. Milne

PostPosted: Mar Fri 06, 2020 11:34 pm 

Thanks, I will keep my eyes open.

Bob

PostPosted: May Fri 08, 2020 4:32 pm 

I just got one of these, a 1957 SYLOUETTE. It's cosmoetically in practically mint condition, but will need some technical restoration as I cannot get a stable image and the halolight does not turn on.. I will certainly ask many questions here, and I'm glad I found such a nice place!

PostPosted: May Sat 09, 2020 8:50 am 

You should be able to use a backlight inverter from a CCFL-lit LCD computer screen or old laptop. These are probably still available new.

PostPosted: May Tue 12, 2020 3:13 pm 

Here it is:

PostPosted: May Tue 12, 2020 3:22 pm 

I tried to get the Halolight working last evening. Wanted to check if the transfo or the neon was the culprit.

Once the plastic face was removed, I realized that the neon almost wants to work and about one third of it feebly lights up and flickers.. It glows a bit better if I wiggle it around.. Looks to me like the neon tube itslef might be at fault here and not the transfo.

The TV is in really good condition inside, no corrosion, almost no dust and 100% untouched original. I'm amazed.

Last edited by DavidSP on May Tue 12, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May Tue 12, 2020 5:15 pm 

That place that looks like a damaged spot is where two glass tubes were fused together in manufacturing.
The tube probably is worn out but a higher voltage transformer might make it work again.
The voltage is somewhat too high to measure with any voltmeter you have but you could measure the resistance of the primary and secondary.
If the windings are not open and the transformer does not get hot while running then it is probably good.
I doubt that a backlight inverter would provide more voltage than that transformer. Perhaps someone who knows what they put out could post here.

PostPosted: May Tue 12, 2020 5:24 pm 

The 'defect' in the halolite tube is a normal manufacturing mark....the tube awas originally 2 sections of tube and that Mark is where the ends were heated and fused to make a longer section of tube.

Going by the picture of the PCB it looks like all the original paper caps and lytics are in there....those will have to be replaced before the electronics will work.
That is my favorite model of halolite....If you are interested I would consider trading my working remote halolite for your set...my set is missing the channel knob and remote hand unit but is otherwise complete and working.

http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t= ... a+halolite

PostPosted: May Tue 12, 2020 5:54 pm 

Thanks guys! Indeed, I now see that this is the fusion point in the tube. I am not too familiar with neon tubes, as you can see.

Thanks for the trade offer, but this is really a TV set I will be keeping. I like it even better than my Predicta Continental!

PostPosted: May Tue 12, 2020 7:19 pm 

David, you might want to edit your post and use pictures no larger than 800 X 800 pixels, bigger pictures make the threads
harder to read. There are guidelines in a thread somewhere.

Be aware that neon lights need a supply that limits the current some way. A neon sign transformer or LCD light power supply
limits the current. I don't know how this was done for the Halolight.

PostPosted: May Tue 12, 2020 7:39 pm 

Notimetolooz wrote:
David, you might want to edit your post and use pictures no larger than 800 X 800 pixels, bigger pictures make the threads
harder to read. There are guidelines in a thread somewhere.

Be aware that neon lights need a supply that limits the current some way. A neon sign transformer or LCD light power supply
limits the current. I don't know how this was done for the Halolight.

Oops, sorry about the picture size.

Not too sure how to go about reducing them, so I might as well remove the pictures if it's too annoying. Really sorry about this.

EDIT: Pictures are gone now.

PostPosted: May Wed 13, 2020 12:45 am 

I really didn't intend for you to remove the pictures.
The guide lines on photos as I understand it are:
# 1, maximum picture size no more than 800 X 800 pixels.
# 2, maximum photo file size 256K.
At one time recently the forum automatically reduced the photo size, but that went away for some reason.
Before that the limit was even smaller if I remember right.
There are a number of software programs that can resize pictures.
This thread mentions some of them. I happen to have an old copy of Photoshop Elements, but there are
some free programs out there. I like to limit the file size to less than 150K. "Compression" or "quality" effects
file size. These guide lines actually help reduce the load time sometimes when you might want to email the
photo file somewhere else also.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=167677&start=220

PostPosted: May Wed 13, 2020 2:51 am 

Electronic Memory wrote:
Going by the picture of the PCB it looks like all the original paper caps and lytics are in there....those will have to be replaced before the electronics will work.
I will second the advice to replace the old paper and electrolytic capacitors if you want your TV to work. Those capacitors -- and there may be two or three dozen -- degrade internally over the decades whether or not the TV is played. That's a fair amount of work, but the days are long gone when you could just pop in a new tube or two and expect the TV to spring back into life.

Here's an article about identifying and replacing old capacitors:

https://antiqueradio.org/FirstStepsInRestoration.htm

And here are two more articles that may help you get started in fixing your TV:

https://antiqueradio.org/howfixtv.htm

https://antiqueradio.org/FirstStepsInRestoration.htm

Incidentally, if your computer has Windows, Microsoft Paint (the free program) can resize photos.

Have fun,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html

PostPosted: Jul Fri 24, 2020 2:30 am 

Are you guys still talking about Halo lights

I have one here in Louisiana that was working in 1998 when I stored it away in the attic. probably not a wise decision

This TV is one that I bought in 1967 as a teenager from the local Sears trade-in outlet in non-working condition. I got it working

I'm sure I have the schematics somewhere but there's no back cover so the model number is missing

It is one distributed by Northern Electric in Canada where I grew up. It has a vertical chassis and the following tubes:

1B3GT
12AX4
12W6
6SN7 x 2
5BR8
4BQ7
3BZ6 x 2
XXX8 - unreadable
6BA8
3CS6
5AQ5
3AV6
3AL5
5U8

The horizontal output tube number is obscured on the chart and is inside the HV cage

I can test the tubes on my Hickok once I get it out of the attic

Any idea if this is worth anything to anyone at this point? I'm at the age where I don't want to burden my kids with it

I would probably want to change the filters before trying to power it up

Hopefully the flyback and CRT are ok

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 45 posts ]  Moderators: Mr. Detrola, 7jp4-guy Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next