Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 24, 2021 7:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Grandfather's TV - 1954 Westinghouse
PostPosted: May Sat 06, 2017 1:25 pm 

I was going through some stuff I had and actually found the owner's manual for my grandfather's television.

It was somewhat unusual as it had a built-in UHF tuner. My grandfather lived near Van Wert Ohio which all stations he received even back then were UHF. He did not have a VHF antenna.
From what i understand, Northern Indiana and NW Ohio was part of a "UHF Island".

The television was in use until the mid 1970s when the CRT became too weak. He moved it into a side room and bought a used Admiral console, also B&W.
About 1979, I talked my grandfather into letting me take the Westinghouse apart for parts. Of course, I now regret that, but then it was just an old junk TV.

Oddly enough, the UHF tuner (or whats left of it) and the power transformer is all I have left of it.

The UHF dial was inside the VHF dial and viewed through a small opening when turned to the UHF position. One odd thing I noticed about the VHF tuner, was there was a blank position between channel 4 and channel 5.
I know there is a gap in the spectrum between those two channels, but not quite enough to fit a full TV channel.

Anyhow, I have often wondered if I would ever find another like it. Complete with the UHF tuner?

The tuner (Manufactured by Sarkes-Tarzian) is quite the contraption. Larger than most UHF tuners. It uses a 6AF4 for an oscillator, but there is a hole for a second tube. My guess, there was a possibility the mixer was a tube in some version?

-Steve

Attachments:
grandpa-tv.jpg
grandpa-tv.jpg [ 53.25 KiB | Viewed 4033 times ]
westinghouse-uhf-top.jpg
westinghouse-uhf-top.jpg [ 49.01 KiB | Viewed 4033 times ]
westinghouse-uhf-bottom.jpg
westinghouse-uhf-bottom.jpg [ 56.71 KiB | Viewed 4033 times ]

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

Post subject: Re: Grandfather's TV - 1954 Westinghouse
PostPosted: May Sat 06, 2017 3:17 pm 

It could be that they used a VHF chassis and re-purposed it for UHF. The vacant hole might have been for a RF amp triode.
I destroyed many radios and TVs before I started to repair them, including some family sets. All a part of the learning curve. :mrgreen:
Kevin

PostPosted: May Mon 08, 2017 2:05 am 

Sarkes Tarzian's company was in Bloomington Indiana which is Southwest of Indianapolis.

He was an interesting guy and did a lot in the progress of tuners, and solid state rectifiers.
The radios he made are an interesting lot too.

I have the service manual on my grandfather's television and it shows the tuner as well.
I've seen variable capacitor tuned VHF tuners and it very well could be built upon one. I'll scan it if it helps.

Thanks for the info!
I too like the old converters and boosters, but I know my collection is a small one.
Some used really unorthodox designs.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: May Sun 21, 2017 12:52 am 

I was in the TV business when that TV was current. Westinghouse was distributed out of New Jersey and did a lot of motel/hotel set rental/leasing. I had 3 Holiday Inn contracts with some 450 total Westinghouse sets which were all identical. One thing I liked about Westinghouse is that they copper plated their steel chassis which made it easy to solder and its RF shielding was good. Betty Furness was their female spokesperson on TV. A side note: My aunt taught home economics and westinghouse supplied her with a self defrost refrigerator (1954) that had a switch on it that when turned on would activate an air compressor to provide a cushion of air around the bottom enabling you to move the refrigerator with one hand. This was impressive to me at the time.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 17, 2021 2:30 am 

I know this is a few years old, but I think I found the version of the UHF tuner with two tubes.

It used a 6AN4 as a mixer rather than a diode.

Really cool IMHO! :D

I'm so glad I picked up a complete set of Riders TV manuals! :lol:

-Steve

Attachments:
uhf-tuner1.jpg
uhf-tuner1.jpg [ 421.51 KiB | Viewed 1032 times ]
uhf-tuner2.jpg
uhf-tuner2.jpg [ 445.1 KiB | Viewed 1032 times ]

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Aug Wed 18, 2021 4:12 am 

That's pretty interesting! I didn't know that any production UHF tuners or converters used a tube mixer. As I understand it, despite the conversion loss, the 1N62 or 1N82 diodes had decent signal to noise ratios that most non-specialized vacuum tubes couldn't equal. Diodes were also lots cheaper, which may have been the deciding factor.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 20, 2021 9:42 pm 

And, the 6AN4 is a tube that I never heard of. According to Tube Lore II, it has higher gain than the familiar 6AF4, 6DZ4, and 6T4.