Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Fri 20, 2019 12:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dump find RCA
PostPosted: Aug Thu 24, 2017 5:56 pm 

Yeav lowfi lol

PostPosted: Aug Thu 24, 2017 7:17 pm 

I've got ~3 good 21" CRTs from about that time that could fit that set....If your crazy enough to spend ~$75 for one and come pick it up, then your welcome to one. :mrgreen:

If you decide to restore it you probably won't get a pix by holding a tube carton to the CRT socket/yoke/HV. :lol:

PostPosted: Aug Thu 24, 2017 8:00 pm 

Straighten it up just enough to put a cheap flat screen in it....

PostPosted: Aug Fri 25, 2017 5:12 pm 

would be fun to see this play again as origionally designed. would probably cost a fortune. sfter being in the rain and snow if you live where there is snow it would probably need a complete rebuild. i dont know if any origional parts could be saved though. it truly would be a labor of love and cost allot more than you could ever sell it for.

reminds me of a basement find radio i rebuilt. had to change every wire in it because the rubber insulation was bad on all of them. filter cans and speaker and phonograph were missing. i managed to find filter cans for it. took forever to track down an electrodynamic speaker for it. never could find the phonograph to replace the missing one. once i changed every wire with cloth covered wire installed the filter cans and new speaker i powered it up and no sound. signal tracing pointed me to the audio output stage and testing the tube pointed me to a dead tube. once i replaced that it played beautifull though. used it for years till i moved. i dont think i would ever have had the patience to rewire the entire radio and track down the speaker but the person teaching me electronics told me i couldnt fix it because there was to much wrong. that is the surest way to make me fix it and prove you wrong. my stubborn side. i dont like to give up on anything i want to do.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 26, 2017 5:39 pm 

Put it on Etsy.... describe as "steam punk" or "art deco." "Eames" era is good too.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 26, 2017 10:26 pm 

Your ad on Craigslist
When last plugged in, it worked

PostPosted: Aug Mon 28, 2017 4:26 am 

And because you are a responsible and knowledgable person, you didn't plug it in to test it! As-found condition. As someone else pointed out above, all it needs is a (big) tube.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 27 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page Previous  1, 2