Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 18, 2019 2:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philco 48-2500 found today.. Early projection set
PostPosted: Jun Sat 29, 2019 8:33 pm 

I know these turn up from time to time... This one was in an abandoned garage in Pennsylvania and was just feet from a dumpster. Much like most of the sets I find anymore, it was FILTHY..!!!! But I brought it home because the filth revealed almost perfect mahogany veneer... and a totally intact Philco 48-2500. I cleaned it as well as I can, and the finish came up gorgeous. It has the full back door panel as well....The Schmidt reflector is intact and only needed some cleaning.. all the glass is intact and cleaned up great. I've had a prewar RCA TRK-120 and a 7PCS41, but never a Philco projector.... It sure is a bit different with the projection assemply. Pretty self contained and simple... Not sure how far I wanna go with this, but it is a real nice set and if the CRT is good, it should be restored.

Attachments:
philco projection 1.jpg
philco projection 1.jpg [ 177.59 KiB | Viewed 573 times ]
philco proj 2.jpg
philco proj 2.jpg [ 120.26 KiB | Viewed 573 times ]
philco proj 4.jpg
philco proj 4.jpg [ 232.33 KiB | Viewed 573 times ]
philco proj 5.jpg
philco proj 5.jpg [ 115.21 KiB | Viewed 573 times ]
philco proj 6.jpg
philco proj 6.jpg [ 123.34 KiB | Viewed 572 times ]

Post subject: Re: Philco 48-2500 found today.. Early projection set
PostPosted: Jun Sat 29, 2019 10:58 pm 

It looks like a nice example. I would say these are "labor of love" restorations because few collectors are interested in them. I'm not sure what's involved with the electronic restoration on these, but being a long time TV repairman I know won't touch one, I have a feeling it's not easy. Good luck with it.
There's a You Tube video with one of these in operation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YVOj_iGlsY

PostPosted: Jun Sun 30, 2019 5:50 pm 

Remember all the mirrors in these projection sets are front surface and scratch easily.

And remember the high voltage is usually above 25,000 volts which is X-Ray territory.

I only mention this as we have some new people getting into this hobby.

I like to mess with projection sets and none of the really big ones have come my way.

Fine looking TV you have there.

Jim

PostPosted: Jul Mon 01, 2019 12:50 pm 

Yes, the high voltage is a real doozy... tv repairmen back then must have really had nerves of steel...
I think it is commonly agreed here on the forum that Philco, albeit branded an everyday mans radio and TV, really excelled in both high fidelity radio and high end TV products. One would assume they had the regular joe engineers, for the cheaper stuff....and then likely a special projects group just for these larger products.
Philco had engineers doing cool things with TV in Philly, along with Farnsworth, in the 1930's.... I have great respect for their higher end stuff.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 01, 2019 4:39 pm 

Pretty much every color set from 1955 onwards had 25KV HV... I've been bitten by that kind of HV before. It's not that bad. You can get the same voltage and approximately the same charge as stored in the HV cap of a just switched off set by shuffling your feet on carpet and touching a doorknob on a dry day.

Flybacks are hard pressed to supply 1mA, but 30mA is the lethality point for people who don't have heart conditions and DC is easier to let go of than AC.... The dangerous sets are the prewar and early postwar sets that use a 60Hz line powered transformer to generate HV(those can deliver lethal levels of current).

PostPosted: Jul Mon 01, 2019 4:59 pm 

The projection sets generally run a littke higher than 25KV. The Protelgram projection system uses a self contained, regulated HV supply, I don't recall if Philco and RCA used the flyback and a trippler and if they are regulated.

The color sets were regulated to 25 KV (6BK4 tube) as they were becomming consious of X-Ray radiation.

The HV supply used in my Scott 6T11 regulates at 27KV.

When you push the brightness you reach a point the HV can't support the beam curent and the picture blooms out of focus.

Protellgram set use a 3" aluminized CRT, the Philco and RCA used a 5" CRT (I believe) and they made their own optical systems.

Jim