Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Tue 23, 2019 2:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Telerent leasing corporation (TLC) solid state color fro
PostPosted: May Tue 21, 2019 3:16 pm 

yeah, i think the CRT is weak. however it is alot better, just blurry. i was looking around in it yesterday for a focus control on the flyback and could not find it, i just looked in my picture and it is there, it is just not attached to the flyback it is a separate pot. i will try that when i get home. otherwise i will use it as is.

PostPosted: May Tue 21, 2019 3:22 pm 

if i get it adjusted i will leave it. however i was also thinking, i have a 19 inch zenith system 3 which worked until i (like an idiot) shorted something and blew the power supply trying to degsuss it, i was going to see if the crt would work, probably not but it is in good shape with a nice sharp picture.

PostPosted: May Wed 22, 2019 12:11 am 

they deleted the post about this set i just made because apparently it will cause something terrible to happen if i make another post about this TV, even if it is on a completely different topic regarding the same thing. . i **deleted** it up and was trying to get help to fix it. nobody is responding to this page because it is so old, so i guess i will just throw the set away and say **deleted** it. I have just about had it with these stuck up people and their crap. I try to fix a piece of history and keep this thing out of the landfill because it is probably the last one in existance. but no it is extinct now i guess. this forum is so stuck up. i cant evem upload pictures without screwing them all up. i should have never tryied to save the thing in the first place. i should have just let it get scooped up and dumped. oh well screw it.

PostPosted: May Wed 22, 2019 12:58 am 

People are reading this thread. Sometimes we just can't think of anything useful to say. You can change the subject of this thread if you go to the first post and edit the Subject line. The other thread you started is still there, just locked.

PostPosted: May Wed 22, 2019 1:00 am 

still think i screwed it up pretty badly. i just got a zenith system 3 that i had the same thing happen to. i need to stop trying to save these sets because all i am doing is killing them.

Post subject: Re: TV that i thought was cool. got working okay and then br
PostPosted: May Wed 22, 2019 1:13 am 

so i was trying to adjust the focus like mentioned before, no luck ( i was just going to settle on how it looked) so i unplugged the coax and was going to unplug power and pow. the coax cable touched the heatsink to the power supply transistor. it left a big old hole in the outside of my coax cable and a burn mark on the heatsink. abviously the set shut off and would not turn back on. so i looked and the fuse was blown, now i did not have another fuse, so just to see if it would be okay until i got a fuse i bypass it and proceed to hook it up to a dim bulb tester i use on my tube radios. i turned it on and got nothing from the tv, however the bulb was glowing very dimly, so i plugged it into full current and it made a sound like it was degausing and then nothing. i tryed turning it off and on and nothing, not even the noise. i can tell it is drawing current for a second because the lights dim for a split second when turned on, however no other signs of life.

Post subject: Re: telerent leasing corporation tv from 1979. broken, help!
PostPosted: May Wed 22, 2019 3:20 pm 

i think maybe i blew the transistor, is there any way to tell? if i somehow did and got another one and something else was damaged, would it blow the transistor again?

PostPosted: May Wed 22, 2019 4:22 pm 

No, but you've probably also damaged the transistor that drives it. It's possible the larger transistor is still OK. An ohm-meter check will tell you. You should be able to measure the two diodes that form the transistor by measuring both polarities between Base and Collector and Base and Emitter.

PostPosted: May Wed 22, 2019 4:52 pm 

The Zenith CRT will not work. Its an EFL CRT only used on System 3 & a few other
brands for high end models. I cant imagine what you did to kill it degausing it.

The other set I would write off. This is why you should use an isolation transformer
when servicing.

If you work on the Zenith there are a few tricks to get the module out. Let us know & will
give instructions. Knowing the tricks I can pull one in <60 sec.

73 Zeno 8)
LFOD !

PostPosted: May Wed 22, 2019 8:30 pm 

the zenith i dod the same thing to, i ad a thermister hooked up to a seperate power cord and the cord came out and hit the heatsink.

PostPosted: May Wed 22, 2019 8:31 pm 

i never seen things that blow out so easily. i guess i am just used to working on tube stuff.

PostPosted: May Wed 22, 2019 9:59 pm 

Transistors do blow out instantly. Perhaps post a picture or 2 of the heatsink and surrounding circuit board. Maybe someone will see something that they recognize and can tell you what parts to try and replace.

If you want to try testing transistors, first become familiar with how diodes test. Get most any diode and measure it with your ohmmeter. Connect the leads one way and see what you get. Then reverse the leads and see what you get. If your meter puts out enough voltage, one way will give you a reading and the other way will not read anything. A transistor will appear to be two diodes with one lead connected to both diodes.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 32 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page Previous  1, 2