Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Fri 15, 2019 9:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: 1956 Admiral Console - Some general technical questions
PostPosted: Oct Sun 20, 2019 11:47 pm 

Yes, three cheers for all your very hard work and endurance, and for the steep learning curve you managed to overcome. It must be very gratifying indeed to see it working so well. After a well-earned break to enjoy actually watching your Admiral, you'll be ready to tackle another TV restoration, right? :wink:

One minor point: a number of time you write about performing a "collaboration." I think the word you mean is "calibration" - "to correlate the readings of (an instrument) with those of a standard in order to check the instrument's accuracy." It might be an autocorrect error.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 21, 2019 3:21 pm 

Most tube TVs used for several hours a day need a service within 4 years... color sets halve that figure, and that is on the optimistic end of estimation for both types of set. Sometimes a week of hard use baking in the cabinet pushes a couple marginal parts over the edge of failure....

To add to the above please don't use the word scroll to talk about vertical roll. I wouldn't doubt that some grammar correction algorithms dislike it, but it is the correct period term for the issue....TV repair speak is dead save for forums like this and vintage electronics gatherings so no grammar algorithms are going to bother to understand it properly.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 22, 2019 2:28 am 

Thank you for the terminology notes. I feel like I've probably been inadvertently saying and writing "collaboration" for much of my life without even realizing it should be calibration in such context.

I've still been experimenting with the vertical height and linearity and keep contemplating if I should check over the components tied to these controls. In this image, you can see how skewed the upper part of the image is in the classic "egg" shape. This is due to my overcompensating for the lack of full vertical height range to get it to fill the screen.

Attachment:
1571706887405.JPEG
1571706887405.JPEG [ 364.45 KiB | Viewed 279 times ]

I can easily lower vertical linearity and then the circle and linearity are great, but I wind up with gaps at top and bottom (letterboxed). This again is because the height control is completely maxed out but can't reach to the edges. Does this sound like a potential resistor issue?

Attachment:
1571707570806.JPEG
1571707570806.JPEG [ 343.74 KiB | Viewed 279 times ]

The width is also overscanned on this set by a fair margin but it has no width control so I can only adjust the horizontal centering. (This test pattern is off of a stream to my TV from a digital image but on standard video playback a notable amount of left-right are cropped off from overscan).

Here is the schematic section for the height and linearity controls.

Attachment:
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg [ 458.55 KiB | Viewed 279 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Tue 22, 2019 2:49 am 

You should check R82. High value resistors like that one (2.2 meg ohm) can go high in value with age.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 22, 2019 6:29 am 

R82 It Was!

As it turns out, the R82 resistor that the schematic shows as 2.2M had evidently been replaced at some point in time by a 2.7M (based on the color code). I checked its reading and it was around 2.9M. I feel like I did check this and some others previously but without the schematic on hand so was only basing the results on the color values of the resistors.

Rather than mucking up the otherwise perfect install by removing the entire chassis, I simply connected a new 10M resistor in parallel to it which brought the resistance down to 2.15M and within the original 10% tolerance. This fix allowed me to rather better adjust the vertical while simultaneously being able to pull back the vertical linearity to the point where I obtained what is a nearly perfect image (tested on DVD pattern clip, 1077B and static image).

I am officially very happy with this and is as close to perfection as I can imagine (well, maybe a few ultra refinements - a tiny rotation of the yoke and adjusting centering ring :wink: ). 8)

Thank you again everyone for your help through this rollercoaster of a journey!!!

Attachments:
1.JPEG
1.JPEG [ 285.41 KiB | Viewed 272 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 241.45 KiB | Viewed 272 times ]
3.JPEG
3.JPEG [ 178.72 KiB | Viewed 272 times ]
4.JPEG
4.JPEG [ 214.69 KiB | Viewed 272 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Tue 22, 2019 1:22 pm 

matt i would leave it alone now. i think you have it as good as you can. you see the squares in the test pattern the idea is you want the same amount of the square showing on both sides of the screen. also the diagonal lines you would take a straight edge and go from corner to corner of the screen and line up the horizontal line with the straight edge. i have seen people to use a grease pencil to mark lines on the screen from corner to corner but personally i dont like that idea. if you cant clean the grease pencil off the glass afterwards you are stuck with lines on the screen.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 22, 2019 2:17 pm 

Looks very good, Matt.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 22, 2019 3:22 pm 

thomas13202 wrote:
matt i would leave it alone now. i think you have it as good as you can. you see the squares in the test pattern the idea is you want the same amount of the square showing on both sides of the screen. also the diagonal lines you would take a straight edge and go from corner to corner of the screen and line up the horizontal line with the straight edge. i have seen people to use a grease pencil to mark lines on the screen from corner to corner but personally i dont like that idea. if you cant clean the grease pencil off the glass afterwards you are stuck with lines on the screen.

Dry erase white board marker is better...if it dries hard you can melt it off with rubbing alcohol.

Post subject: 100% Complete
PostPosted: Oct Wed 23, 2019 9:12 am 

As of this post, I'm officially considering this project to be at the 100% complete stage. I created a makeshift back tonight utilizing peg board, a 5" hole saw, and a sturdy crock bowl that also happened to have precisely 5" diameter and just enough height to comfortably protect the tube neck. I cut areas out so that I can still access the horizontal adjuster, vertical linearity and vertical height controls as well as power and antenna of course. Doesn't look as grand as the original Admiral but it certainly gets the job done and I feel much safer with it on. Maybe I could stick some Admiral decals on the back for added authenticity :lol:

Attachment:
1571801829996-1.JPEG
1571801829996-1.JPEG [ 180.28 KiB | Viewed 237 times ]

I also did a final cleaning of the front glass and CRT to remove a few dirty spots and marks. I made final adjustments especially with the ion trap before closing it back up and everything comes in nice and clear. Very satisfied with the outcome and ran it for a couple hours just in testing tonight without any trouble at all. I will at some point in the near future be making a short video retrospective for YouTube to showcase it all and still want to write a summary of my wisdom acquired throughout the process.

Currently I have a DVD/VCR player hooked up (composite -> switch -> coaxial -> TV) but also tested a Roku without any issue for Netflix and any streaming services I may wish to use. With the current switch I can feed 4-5 devices into it and just change the input to alter between them. I rested the leftover peg board above the legs base and within that area (not viewable from front) I can manage cables and the switch so almost everything remains clean and out of site.

After everything was set, I had fun experimenting with photography of it in my dining room that I temporarily emptied out. I took a few with my phone and this one with a wide angle turned out interesting. Others with my regular camera may be cool I will check in the next several days, several I took long exposures to capture light only from the tubes and the CRT. Will share any noteworthy ones here as a final hurrah!

I look forward to watching the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers this weekend (released same year as this Admiral!) as my first proper movie watch on this set, I have never seen that movie in any form before.

Attachment:
Untitled-3.jpg
Untitled-3.jpg [ 210.74 KiB | Viewed 237 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Wed 23, 2019 9:14 pm 

Very good job - worth the effort. Your photo has a delightfully moody quality to it.
Invasion of the Body Snatchers is the first scary movie I remember ever watching on TV, as a kid. I was spooked for a week!

PostPosted: Oct Thu 24, 2019 5:19 am 

Incredible story time...

Tonight, my mom visited for the first time since I got the set going; I was playing TV classics when she pulled into the driveway. Even before she saw the TV, just hearing the sound from it suddenly flooded her with old memories of growing up as a young child in the late-50s. Then she saw it and was overwhelmed as if suddenly back in her own childhood living room!

Later she found a couple of photos from when she was 4-6 years old. There, right in the background... I couldn't believe it. The same styled set with top knobs, gold bar dividing speaker, gold trim at top to hold safety glass in! I believe that was the first set my grandparents had owned, before eventually replacing it with a colored set years later.

This incredible coincidence and backstory has made this project even more rewarding than ever. Now I know what photo to frame and sit on the TV as well!

Attachments:
m-1.jpg
m-1.jpg [ 613.48 KiB | Viewed 200 times ]
m-2.jpg
m-2.jpg [ 563.37 KiB | Viewed 200 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Thu 24, 2019 3:00 pm 

Wow, that's pretty amazing....

Many people go on years long quests for their childhood or a family members old set....Some are lucky enough to have it passed down to them and not need to find it.

I've never heard of it finding you before you knew you wanted it for that reason.

Guess it is a newly minted family heirloom now. 8)

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 312 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16