Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sun 17, 2019 7:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Japanese roundy color sets officially sold in the USA?
PostPosted: Oct Wed 23, 2019 7:25 pm 

So I understand Japan adopted NTSC color in 1960 and made roundy color sets for their domestic market (and that they were Uber luxury items then and there).
I always thought Japanese Import TVs were low end monochrome only until rectangular color sets came along...
During a recent culling of duplicate Sams folders I uncovered this.

They at the very least imported one model (CC210) of color TV/AM/FM stereo phono combo to the USA under the Delmonico brand (JVCs old American brand name)...this would have been a top of the line offering for any brand of the day. And it totally blows out of the water my old notion that Japan never exported color roundys, and some of my notions of what they sold here. (It's also the most compact roundy color TV/audio console package I've ever seen).

My Sam's search was far from complete. If any one knows of other makes/models of Japanese made roundy Color TVs sold in the USA I'd love to hear about them.

It would also be interesting to hear if anyone serviced one at a repair shop back in the day. And if any still exist here in the states. (I also have a WTB in the classifieds for one).

Post subject: Re: Japanese roundy color sets officially sold in the USA?
PostPosted: Oct Thu 24, 2019 4:16 am 

There were some oddball sets from Japan made for Sears and maybe others, that had a rectangular tube with the large neck of a roundie. I believe they were Sanyo built, it there may have been others.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 24, 2019 4:41 am 

There was a Delmonico distributor in Detroit back in the 50's and 60's, and a few of their TV's were sold by independent stores like Highland Appliance. I saw a couple of those color sets upstairs in their warehouse where repairs were done, and believe me you don't want one! The build quality and performance aren't up to the standards of US built sets. They had a basic sulfide type CRT and were not known for brightness or contrast, actually looked pretty dull and flat compared to the US built competition.

I recall at least one Delmonico black and white portable which used capacitors as filament droppers, there may have been two of them in each set.

I believe that Sears had at least one round screen set built by Toshiba, 562 source. They sold the rectangular set with the large CRT neck that Eric mentioned around the mid 1960's, it weighed a ton for being such a small screen.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 24, 2019 10:24 am 

When I was at Sears in the mid/late 1970s, we hated to see the old tube-type Japanese color sets come in for repair. By that time, the electrolytic capacitors and CRTs were needing replacement, and the poor build quality didn't help. They always got a high estimate!

PostPosted: Oct Thu 24, 2019 3:14 pm 

If you just want one of these as a historical artifact and not so much to watch TV with that's probably better. It's the same as me wanting a CTC-9; I know the color rendition is inferior to what came both before and after. I have to agree with the previous comments. The Japanese manufacturers had a predilection for using paper in oil capacitors which were just as bad as the wax capacitors used in the good old USA, and perhaps worse since they also have the added excitement of exploding like electrolytics when they go bad. And these TVs are just full of them.

I had a Japanese-built (Sharp) Wards Airline 19" color console about 20 years ago, a rectangular tube with safety glass! As pointed out earlier, a dim, orangey picture courtesy of sulfide red phosphor, and awful color rendition. I think that one was from 1966. The one you're talking about is probably a 1962 model, and a few years before the improved red phosphor was to be introduced, so even the US makers still used sulfide CRTs. The Japanese products IMO hit their stride about 10 years after this set was made. They primarily competed on price (and portability, for radios and small TVs) at that time.

I also had one of those mid-60s Japanese Sears color portables... bad CRT in it so I never got to see how well (or bad) it really was.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 24, 2019 3:42 pm 

Mr. Detrola wrote:
There was a Delmonico distributor in Detroit back in the 50's and 60's, and a few of their TV's were sold by independent stores like Highland Appliance. I saw a couple of those color sets upstairs in their warehouse where repairs were done, and believe me you don't want one! The build quality and performance aren't up to the standards of US built sets. They had a basic sulfide type CRT and were not known for brightness or contrast, actually looked pretty dull and flat compared to the US built competition.

I recall at least one Delmonico black and white portable which used capacitors as filament droppers, there may have been two of them in each set.

I believe that Sears had at least one round screen set built by Toshiba, 562 source. They sold the rectangular set with the large CRT neck that Eric mentioned around the mid 1960's, it weighed a ton for being such a small screen.

That's pretty cool.

You haven't deterred me one bit though...I own 3 rectangular tube color Japanese sets, and have owned 4 others (1 had a weak CRT 2 were missing backs + knobs when I needed to trim my collection down and one was a duplicate).
The CRT ain't an issue on this Delmonico because it uses a 21FBP22 (presumably the same would go for other Japanese roundys) so if I find one with a dud CRT I can just sub in any good American made 21" round CRT and that will be solved.
Chassis wiring pictures in the Sam's photofact show comparable build quality/chassis layout practice to an RCA of the time...most American color sets of the era need all their caps changed anyway so cap issues are pretty much a given I'm used to on my early 60s and older sets..... I'm the type of person who doesn't bat an eye working on a Philco predicta (which some restorers consider its own unique form of hell), and who has the patience to stuff the new caps for his RCA 21CT55 into gutted paper shells to hide the recap work ( I only do that for sets I feel to be worth it)... Japanese color sets can produce decent pictures. Colorimetry has a slightly different feel, but it's not bad so much as it is unique.

Erich Loepke wrote:
If you just want one of these as a historical artifact and not so much to watch TV with that's probably better. It's the same as me wanting a CTC-9; I know the color rendition is inferior to what came both before and after. I have to agree with the previous comments. The Japanese manufacturers had a predilection for using paper in oil capacitors which were just as bad as the wax capacitors used in the good old USA, and perhaps worse since they also have the added excitement of exploding like electrolytics when they go bad. And these TVs are just full of them.

I had a Japanese-built (Sharp) Wards Airline 19" color console about 20 years ago, a rectangular tube with safety glass! As pointed out earlier, a dim, orangey picture courtesy of sulfide red phosphor, and awful color rendition. I think that one was from 1966. The one you're talking about is probably a 1962 model, and a few years before the improved red phosphor was to be introduced, so even the US makers still used sulfide CRTs. The Japanese products IMO hit their stride about 10 years after this set was made. They primarily competed on price (and portability, for radios and small TVs) at that time.

I also had one of those mid-60s Japanese Sears color portables... bad CRT in it so I never got to see how well (or bad) it really was.

Funny you mention the CTC-.9 I just finished getting my CTC9 Corinthian working 2 days ago (thread can be found in videokarma's members only curbside section). They too have their own look to color.

I own probably close to 90 tube TVs (that count is me visualizing my display and storage areas and counting what I see in memory) there are a good number I own more as a sample than as daily watchers, but then again some of my daily sets ain't my best and some of my " when was the last time I powered this on again?" sets work too well to deserve their dust catcher status... With how many sets have passed through my hands to others the ones I have/want to buy all have some unique charm/interesting aspects that merrit the space they occupy...