Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Thu 20, 2019 4:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Admiral 24A12 Bits & Pieces
PostPosted: Oct Mon 19, 2015 6:51 pm 

After endless distractions, I'm nearly finished with my Admiral 24A12.

It's one of those little Bakelite consoles:

It is missing all of its tube shields, and when I went to temporarily borrow some from my 24C15 set, I discovered that that TV has all of the wrong type shields, too. I need shields that push-fit onto the kind of socket shown here:

Does anyone know a source for such sockets? I looked at Surplus Sales of Nebraska and none of theirs looked right. I could use about 20 of them (or at least 6 for this TV).

Second, the foam CRT gasket fell off in brittle pieces when I removed the cardboard bezel:

I thought it would be easy to find similar material, but my local hardware store has nothing suitable in its weather strip zone. Ideas?

Next (don't all laugh at once), I need the channel selector knob. You can see one in this photo from tvhistory.tv :

Lastly, a question about how to route the audio output cable from the top chassis to the bottom one. The original cable was two ratty pieces crudely patched together, so I replaced it with one of the right length to fit through the customary hole near the front of the top chassis shelf. Imagine my surprise when I discovered later that there is no such hole! Was this cable originally routed all the way to the back of the shelf and then down again? I think I see a way to sneak my new cable under the chassis without going that far, but that's inconvenient & precarious, and given the fragility of these cabinets, I'm loath to drill any new holes near the front of the shelf.

So, I'm looking for:

1. Tube shields
2. CRT gasket material
3. Channel selector knob

Thanks for any tips you can provide.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Post subject: Re: Admiral 24A12 Bits & Pieces
PostPosted: Oct Mon 19, 2015 8:36 pm 

Hi Phil. That's weird. I've never seen one that didn't have a hole for the sound coax up near the channel selector. https://flic.kr/p/7ucUNR

I use 1/2" diameter closed cell foam insulation. After cutting to length, rubber cement does a nice job holding the ends together: https://flic.kr/p/9xki2E

I think I can dig up a spare channel selector knob for you.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 19, 2015 9:15 pm 

Bob, that foam surround looks perfect!
You are a steely-eye'd missile man!

PostPosted: Oct Mon 19, 2015 9:25 pm 

Honest, there's no cable hole in my cabinet, only slots for the chassis mounting screws.

I even felt underneath, in case they actually molded a hole, but the top got covered up with flashing. Anyhow, if every other cabinet has that hole, I'll drill one and quit fretting.

Your gasket photo reminded me that I used similar foam stuff to make a gasket years ago for my long-departed Motorola VT-73. I must have looked in the wrong section of the hardware store.

I'll be happy to pay you for the channel selector knob.

Still need a source for tube shields. Hate to resort to tinfoil . . . .

Thanks!

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios

PostPosted: Oct Mon 19, 2015 9:52 pm 

Don't get out your drill just yet. I just took a closer look at an unrestored 24A12 and it does not have a hole either. There is enough room in the wide slotted hole for the chassis bolt for the cable to run through. I think I pulled the cable out when I first got this set and inspected it.

I might have some tube shields. I'll dig around and let you know.

Another option for the foam gasket is felt which they used in some wooden cabinet models. I picked up this roll of 3/8" felt off ebay for a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 19, 2015 11:00 pm 

Ha, ha -- the joke's on me. I just finished drilling the hole!

The molding around the plug that I used is kind of fat -- it might have been hard to squeeze past that washer in the slot. Anyway, what's done is done.

Phil Nelson

PostPosted: Oct Tue 20, 2015 5:08 pm 

My 24A12 has a replacement vertical output transformer, Triad A-101U. Can anyone tell me whether this is a correct replacement? The Sams manual lists subs for Stancor, Merit, and Chicago, but not Triad.

My picture is watchable, but the vertical linearity is a little weird no matter how I adjust the controls. Almost like it is slightly compressed at both top and bottom edges, not one or the other. I have replaced the obvious capacitors and a number of resistors in the vertical circuits.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios

PostPosted: Oct Thu 22, 2015 11:56 pm 

Sigh. Add "screen cover" to the list of parts that I need to finish my 24A12. In the years since I restored my 24C15 console, I forgot that the screen cover is not a simple piece of flat plastic. It's a squarish thingie with tabs and a projecting front surface, similar to what's shown in this photo from my 24C15 project.

My cover is missing, so I made a flat piece of Lucite cut to the right size and drilled with mounting holes. Which doesn't work right, unfortunately.

Grrr. The CRT face hits the cover before the chassis is pushed in all the way, leaving too much space around the edges.

Anyone have a spare screen cover? It needs to fit a 10-inch set.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios

PostPosted: Oct Fri 23, 2015 7:33 am 

philsoldradios wrote:
Sigh. Add "screen cover" to the list of parts that I need to finish my 24A12. In the years since I restored my 24C15 console, I forgot that the screen cover is not a simple piece of flat plastic. It's a squarish thingie with tabs and a projecting front surface, similar to what's shown in this photo from my 24C15 project.

My cover is missing, so I made a flat piece of Lucite cut to the right size and drilled with mounting holes. Which doesn't work right, unfortunately.

Grrr. The CRT face hits the cover before the chassis is pushed in all the way, leaving too much space around the edges.

Anyone have a spare screen cover? It needs to fit a 10-inch set.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios

bandersentv does allot of admiral restorations and may have the parts you need or should know of a source for them. that is his youtube name but i believe his name on here is the same. he is in the chicago area.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 24, 2015 3:02 am 

Thanks, he replied to some of my questions earlier in this thread.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios

PostPosted: Oct Mon 26, 2015 7:32 am 

Hi Phil. I dug up a channel knob and 6 matching tube shields salvaged from Admiral TVs. PM sent

PostPosted: Oct Mon 26, 2015 5:25 pm 

Wahoo! PM replied.

Now I just need to figure out something for the screen cover.

Phil Nelson

PostPosted: May Tue 14, 2019 3:29 am 

bandersen wrote:
Hi Phil. I dug up a channel knob and 6 matching tube shields salvaged from Admiral TVs. PM sent

Hey bob, i was wondering if you had the round outer knob for this television, and also the front speaker? I just got this model tv today, and it is missing one of the outer knobs and the speaker.