Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 19, 2019 3:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Moving a TRK-12 and Need Advice
PostPosted: Apr Mon 29, 2019 6:12 pm 

I'm in the process of organizing a TRK-12 move from San Diego, CA to Concord, NC and need advice from some of you who have one. The seller is also a collector and he has offered to do whatever he can on his end to help ensure a safe move. I've been advised the 12AP4 should be removed and packed separately. The seller is willing to remove it but he is asking for instructions on how to do it and what steps to take and in what order.

He is also making a pallet to mount it on for shipping. We have a specialty mover with white glove service in a padded van lined up who is experienced in moving things like this.

Tnx in advance, Greg

Post subject: Re: Moving a TRK-12 and Need Advice
PostPosted: Apr Mon 29, 2019 8:01 pm 

Greg G wrote:
I'm in the process of organizing a TRK-12 move from San Diego, CA to Concord, NC and need advice from some of you who have one. The seller is also a collector and he has offered to do whatever he can on his end to help ensure a safe move. I've been advised the 12AP4 should be removed and packed separately. The seller is willing to remove it but he is asking for instructions on how to do it and what steps to take and in what order.

He is also making a pallet to mount it on for shipping. We have a specialty mover with white glove service in a padded van lined up who is experienced in moving things like this.

Tnx in advance, Greg

I just happen to have the RCA Factory Service data file from the 1930's, I would not be able to scan because the book is too large to fit its like 3" thick and just does not fit on my scanner, but can email you high res camera shots of the steps it says to install the kinescope like the pics below but I am sure the removal is reverse steps
I have never touched one in person

Terry

Attachments:
20190429_134914_resized.jpg
20190429_134914_resized.jpg [ 140.39 KiB | Viewed 1060 times ]
v1.jpg
v1.jpg [ 184.88 KiB | Viewed 739 times ]

Last edited by wiseguy on May Fri 03, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 29, 2019 11:44 pm 

When a TRK-12 left my house in the late 1970's the new owner stuffed it in the back of a VW hatchback and hauled it west to CA.

May be the one you have.

The one I had was part of the RCA exhibit as shown is various US locations.

When I got it from a friend it could almost produce a visible picture.

Jim

PostPosted: Apr Tue 30, 2019 1:53 am 

I'd be scared to death to have a Novice attempt to remove the tube.
He could easily rip the base off just trying to remove the socket, or bump that two foot long neck on something and pffttt.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 30, 2019 2:59 pm 

I think that decision on removing the tube would be dependent on the picture tube being good or not. I moved a 120 without removing the tube, but it was a 50 mile trip, not 3000. I did eventually remove the tube, and it was a delicate process to be sure..but once it is outside of the cabinet, you have to worry about securing it from rocking and rolling. I might have to err on the side of making a foam insert surround around the tube, especially at the yoke area..to help with jostling and bumps..and leave it in the cabinet.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 30, 2019 4:56 pm 

The high voltage button is a bit of a problem. You can unscrew the bakelite cap and gently slip the contact off the button, then tie the lead away from the 12AP4. The bad tubes l've seen had a hole there. Craig

PostPosted: Apr Tue 30, 2019 6:56 pm 

I gotta say, I'm pretty nervous about taking it out with all of the good info you guys are posting. The seller did say he noticed the CRT moved a little during the 2 hour trip to his house in the back of his Toyota pickup at the time he purchased it. This is also asking a lot from a volunteer to get everything right without breaking anything during the removal process. I should now look into what kind of a ride this will be in the moving van. I'm starting to lean toward leaving it in place but check for loose mounts.

I noticed reproduction rubber masks are available now for the TRK-12. Is the rubber mask part of the CRT mounting system? Deteriorated rubber parts after all these years might cause mounts to be loose, right?

PostPosted: Apr Tue 30, 2019 9:12 pm 

Would it be useful to ship the set face down with plenty of 'This side up' signs pasted on the box?

PostPosted: Apr Tue 30, 2019 11:41 pm 

Greg G wrote:
he noticed the CRT moved a little
Not familiar with this TV, but in some cases you can stabilize a CRT in place by firmly stuffing & taping wads of bubble wrap or other packing material around the tube.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html

PostPosted: May Thu 02, 2019 12:16 am 

I don't recall how the tube is secured in a TRK-12, but keep in mind the CRT is mounted face up in the cabinet. This being a watch on a mirror in the lid set.

I believe the CRT has to come out the back and I don't recall if the deflection yoke stays with the tube until you get it out.

I believe the TRK-12 was shipped with the CRT in place. RCA did ship the 621TS and 630TS without the CRT in the cabinet partly due the front face of the tube was not very secure.

The original service literature is available and would give detailed information on how to install / remove the CRT.

Another thing to keep in mind is how are the several chassis are secured in the cabinet. If it was mine I would either pack it up myself or find someone who is familiar with it.

I would not suggest laying it down.

Jim

PostPosted: May Thu 02, 2019 7:40 am 

Yes if it were me I'd be driving across country with a station wagon or similar (or maybe fly - rent - drive).
TV would be laid down on a mattress and the car driven very carefully.

I have actually driven one way across the US. Interesting experience.

I heard of a case where a brace in the cabinet came apart and ripped the neck clean off the tube at the yoke. Shudder!

PostPosted: May Thu 02, 2019 6:03 pm 

jimmc wrote:
I don't recall how the tube is secured in a TRK-12, but keep in mind the CRT is mounted face up in the cabinet. This being a watch on a mirror in the lid set.
I would not suggest laying it down.
Jim

I was thinking that this set might be similar to the 621TS and 630TS, a conventional direct view set with a poorly supported CRT. But it is not, so laying it down would not be a good idea. But lots of 'This side up' labels on the shipping box might be a good idea.

PostPosted: May Fri 03, 2019 12:44 pm 

Early television Foundation has the Riders manual for the TRK12. It says the set was shipped without the CRT installed and has installation instructions. Here is a link:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/pdf/rca_ ... er_tv1.pdf

PostPosted: May Sat 04, 2019 12:55 am 

I spoke with the seller by telephone today and learned he's 51 years old and seemed rather sharp; he's also a pleasant fellow to talk to. With that said he is also very aware of the fragile nature of what we are talking about doing and somewhat hesitant about doing much other than building a special custom pallet to fit and strapping it down securely. He mentioned the cardboard cone which entirely surrounds the CRT inside the cabinet and thought it might damage easily for someone with no experience working around a TRK-12 trying to take it apart. The seller said he might remove the back again and try to determine if the CRT is loose by gently pushing upward on the plug at the end of the neck and wiggling a little.

He also explained a little more about why he thought the CRT had shifted a little on him when he moved it to his house several years ago. He said looking down at the screen from above with the lid open it looked like the space around the tube between the mask and tube was not even all around, like it had possibly shifted to one side. Would it be possible to insert cardboard strips or something between the mask and tube all around to attempt to stabilize it?

I wish there was someone close enough to him that I could hire them to go do what it needs.

Greg

PostPosted: May Sat 04, 2019 12:47 pm 

Whoa! Sounds risky!

I'd be removing the CRT and packing it carefully and separately. Those things are made of unobtainium.

PostPosted: May Sat 04, 2019 1:18 pm 

I'm trying to find a way to do that without having to fly out and do it myself. I'm in the NASCAR racing business and trying to get away for something like that in the middle of our season is extremely difficult. Our company demands that we are 100% focused on winning races and it would not be good for me to try to go do this myself. I am hoping by delaying the shipment and being careful asking questions and searching for a solution that I might find a safe way and keep the boss happy at the same time.

We won the race at Talladega last week and two of our cars are starting on the front row at Dover, DE this weekend so yes, my boss is serious in his demands.

-Greg

PostPosted: May Sat 04, 2019 5:27 pm 

One problem with removing the CRT and shipping it separately is that CRTs need to have specialized shipping boxes. The original shipping boxes had specially constructed cardboard inserts that held the CRT by the face and bell (the flared section behind the face) so that the CRT could not move around
and so that there would be no pressure on the neck.

A problem with not shipping the CRT separately is that it seems that the set was not designed to be shipped with the CRT installed.

PostPosted: May Sat 04, 2019 6:39 pm 

Lots of good info coming in! I will be considering everything mentioned here in order to hopefully make the right choice. I know I only have one chance to get it right.

PostPosted: May Sat 04, 2019 7:08 pm 

Tom Schulz wrote:
One problem with removing the CRT and shipping it separately is that CRTs need to have specialized shipping boxes. The original shipping boxes had specially constructed cardboard inserts that held the CRT by the face and bell (the flared section behind the face) so that the CRT could not move around
and so that there would be no pressure on the neck.

A problem with not shipping the CRT separately is that it seems that the set was not designed to be shipped with the CRT installed.

I have never seen a TV that was shipped with the CRT shipped separately, but I am not familiar with the TRK-12. Most TVs I have bought were just transported with the jug facing down; never had a problem, but then again, I don't drive like a lunatic.

PostPosted: May Sat 04, 2019 7:13 pm 

The way this one is made in order for the screen to ship face down the television would have to be mounted on the pallet upside down. The long necked tube is mounted vertically in the cabinet with a mirror in the lid for viewing.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 27 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page 1, 2  Next