Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Tue 23, 2019 1:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Moving a TRK-12 and Need Advice
PostPosted: May Sun 05, 2019 11:25 am 

Below is a link to the Rider's info for TRK televisions courtesy of ETF. Page 4 has a diagrom of the CRT mounting hardware and support points. It looks like the rubber mask was designed to seat the top of the tube for correct orientation and the yoke provided support for the tube. If the rubber mask is deteriorated the tube will probably have room to move,

https://www.earlytelevision.org/pdf/rca_trk9_rider_tv1.pdf

PostPosted: May Sun 05, 2019 5:46 pm 

Perhaps you could pack bubble wrap around the CRT to hold it in place for shipping.
Ah, I see that philsoldradios had the same suggestion.

PostPosted: May Fri 10, 2019 2:26 pm 

Looking at the Rider construction drawing I would think shipping with the CRT in the set would be the safest. Although a completely different set, I transported my HMV901 safely 500 miles with its front face lying on a double airbed. See: http://www.nostalgiatech.co.uk/Vintagetech.htm

Peter

PostPosted: May Fri 10, 2019 3:34 pm 

Tom Schulz wrote:
One problem with removing the CRT and shipping it separately is that CRTs need to have specialized shipping boxes. The original shipping boxes had specially constructed cardboard inserts that held the CRT by the face and bell (the flared section behind the face) so that the CRT could not move around
and so that there would be no pressure on the neck.

I pack boxes with foam rubber (free from curbside sofa cushions and furniture store dumpsters). Gives a lot of shock protection and gently holds the CRT.

PostPosted: May Fri 10, 2019 3:37 pm 

peter scott wrote:
Looking at the Rider construction drawing I would think shipping with the CRT in the set would be the safest.

Oooooh...<cringe>.

I wouldn't chance it. Not with a 12AP4 in a TRK-12.

Maybe one of the southern CA area TV collectors from Videokarma would help remove and pack the CRT.

PostPosted: May Sat 25, 2019 5:20 pm 

Picture tube and chassis aside. Years ago I purchased a TRK-12 and used a van to transport it intact. It was about a 20 mile trip. One thing that happened was when we laid the set backside down in the van, the lid popped open and did damage to the hinges. The lid (top) should be secured, when transporting, whether the CRT is removed or not. Other than that glitch, the trip was successful and the set sustained no further damage to the cabinet or electronics.

PostPosted: May Sat 25, 2019 5:30 pm 

CT-100 Guy wrote:
Picture tube and chassis aside. Years ago I purchased a TRK-12 and used a van to transport it intact. It was about a 20 mile trip. One thing that happened was when we laid the set backside down in the van, the lid popped open and did damage to the hinges. The lid (top) should be secured, when transporting, whether the CRT is removed or not. Other than that glitch, the trip was successful and the set sustained no further damage to the cabinet or electronics.

I did that with a jukebox once. I rented a van drove hours into NJ to get it. My brother drove the van and I stayed in the back with the unit, placed on thick moving blankets, holding it steady the whole way. Driving on the BQE (or the bucking Bronco Highway) I hung on for dear life to it! When you get something rare and valuable, it's worth the effort! :)

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 27 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page Previous  1, 2