Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 14, 2019 4:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Best glue for crt base
PostPosted: May Fri 24, 2019 4:31 pm 

I need to re-glue the base back on a 10FP4 picture tube. Whats the best glue to use?

Post subject: Re: Best glue for crt base
PostPosted: May Fri 24, 2019 4:47 pm 

I use Permatex Flowable Silicone Windshield & Glass Sealer

https://www.permatex.com/products/adhes ... ss-sealer/

PostPosted: May Fri 24, 2019 5:51 pm 

I've seen "Shoe Glue" used.

PostPosted: May Fri 24, 2019 5:56 pm 

bandersen wrote:

How much do you use? Do you fill the whole base?

PostPosted: May Fri 24, 2019 6:19 pm 

oldtvsandtoys wrote:
bandersen wrote:

No. Just a thin bead around the top. It will wick down and form a good seal. It bonds very well to both glass and bakelite and stands up to heat. Scotty at Hawkeye used something similar back when he was still rebuilding CRTs.

PostPosted: May Fri 24, 2019 6:33 pm 

Agree that a silicone-based adhesive or caulk (be sure to get a non-corrosive formulation) is a good choice. Takes heat very well. Good even for regular tubes that get really hot, such as rectifiers and output tubes. CRTs don't get that hot, but still nice to have a heat-resistant adhesive on the job. Silicone is also flexible enough that it doesn't stress the leads or glass, so it should pose no risk for cracks and vacuum loss.

PostPosted: May Fri 24, 2019 9:09 pm 

bandersen wrote:
oldtvsandtoys wrote:
bandersen wrote:

No. Just a thin bead around the top. It will wick down and form a good seal. It bonds very well to both glass and bakelite and stands up to heat. Scotty at Hawkeye used something similar back when he was still rebuilding CRTs.

I guess I should of said the whole base came off. I will have to resolder the wires then glue the base back on. I don’t think that will make a difference, but just checking. I also plan on using wire from some old resistors to extend the wire from the crt. Is that okay?

PostPosted: May Sat 25, 2019 1:47 am 

The original wires should be long enough, but you're on to something important. It's very hard to get all the wires to poke into the correct pins without extending them. One trick is to solder nice long skinny wires onto each of the wires, and then thread them through the appropriate pins. Then move the base all the way down to the glass, and remove the new wires you attached when you resolder the pins to the original wires.

If some of the original wires are now too short, it might be a challenge to solder the pins without melting the solder and disconnecting your extensions.

If they broke off at the glass, then solder a very fine wire onto the exposed broken off end (often flush with the glass) and use it to connect to the pin. Be quick when you solder the pin, and then not enough heat will conduct down the skinny wire to melt its connection to the broken off wire. If your added wire is too thick, this will be much harder, since the heat conducts a lot better through thicker wires.

PostPosted: May Sat 25, 2019 2:25 am 

Over the years I learn to spray lube in a CRT socket first, pry it of very gently in a back and forth motion, and hold the CRT socket firmly at the same time. If you feel it moving - STOP! So far I never tore one off yet. I've used Crazy Glue on loose sockets. I know heat may turn it powder, but I've never had trouble myself.

PostPosted: May Sat 25, 2019 3:11 am 

decojoe67 wrote:
Over the years I learn to spray lube in a CRT socket first, pry it of very gently in a back and forth motion, and hold the CRT socket firmly at the same time. If you feel it moving - STOP! So far I never tore one off yet. I've used Crazy Glue on loose sockets. I know heat may turn it powder, but I've never had trouble myself.

Yea you know 1st time it’s ever happen to me. I just grabbed it to see it it was tight or loose. Next thing I know it’s in my hand.: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: May Sun 26, 2019 2:34 pm 

I use a ring of epoxy: JB weld. I snip the old wires to 1/4 inch in length, then solder fine copper wire to each, then string each through pin. Tape holds it in place while setting. The rest is tidying up. My 2 cents' worth. Craig

PostPosted: May Sun 26, 2019 5:17 pm 

I think I used Pliobond the last time. That worked because the original glue was still inside the base and I did not have to fill a gap.
I tack soldered about 4 or 5 inches of fine wire to the leads. When I soldered the pins I just removed the extra wire.