Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 17, 2019 4:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Capehart 661P
PostPosted: May Sat 25, 2019 10:05 pm 

Just found this on facebook marketplace and bought it. Someone on here posted not many of these out there. He said 10 but I'm not buying that.
I will be looking for one knob and a grill cloth.

Attachments:
capehart.jpg
capehart.jpg [ 347.96 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]

Last edited by oldtvsandtoys on May Thu 30, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Capehare 661P
PostPosted: May Sat 25, 2019 10:36 pm 

That is an interesting set. I like it. Grill cloth should be easy to find, there are a lot of consoles out there that used the same cloth. shame about the top left corner of the glass (looks like cracks out from the bolt hole). Still, very unique.
Tony

PostPosted: May Sat 25, 2019 11:25 pm 

You made an excellent find. Those are indeed quite rare and desirable. They also were sold under the Farnsworth name. I've focused on vintage TV for many years and can only recall seeing just a few of these. I would be surprised if there was even 10 left. Yours looks like it has a lot of potential to be a real gem. A suitable replacement cloth shouldn't be difficult to find. The cracked glass is an issue, but sometimes it's best just to leave it as-is. Like cracks in the bakelite GE "locomotives" it seems cracking by the glass mounts is common on these sets. Good luck with it.

Last edited by decojoe67 on May Sun 26, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: May Sun 26, 2019 6:27 am 

Yes, you don't see these very often. This article describes how I restored my 661-P:

https://antiqueradio.org/CapehartFarnsw ... vision.htm

The top on mine doesn't lift up. You may be thinking of the tabletop version (610-P or 651-P) that has a hinged top cover.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html

PostPosted: May Sun 26, 2019 12:25 pm 

philsoldradios wrote:
Yes, you don't see these very often. This article describes how I restored my 661-P:

https://antiqueradio.org/CapehartFarnsw ... vision.htm

The top on mine doesn't lift up. You may be thinking of the tabletop version (610-P or 651-P) that has a hinged top cover.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Nice example Phil! Great work. Ah, I thought the flip tops were used on all models. The best part of these is they look almost pre-war. Very unique. The tabletops seem to be the only one's you ever see come up for sale. I can't remember the last time a console came up.

PostPosted: May Sun 26, 2019 7:30 pm 

Here is a full blown console on Craigslist close to Milwaukee.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/atq/d/ ... 98993.html

Tony

PostPosted: May Mon 27, 2019 12:54 am 

Tony F wrote:

Tony

Good find! That's a really rare one, although it doesn't have the charm of the tabletop and TV only console, and likely, the desirability. Because of that and the fairly rough shape it's in, he's going to have a hard time getting $500 for it.

PostPosted: May Mon 27, 2019 3:36 am 

decojoe67 wrote:
Tony F wrote:

Tony

Good find! That's a really rare one, although it doesn't have the charm of the tabletop and TV only console, and likely, the desirability. Because of that and the fairly rough shape it's in, he's going to have a hard time getting $500 for it.

Interesting, I had this exact model at one time, I sold it to someone back east and they had someone here ship it to them, judging by the patterns on the lower doors I think it might be the very same set. I had recapped the TV and it was working, but the cabinet was n rough shape, the lower left door was water damaged and warped which was on of the reasons I got rid of it, the other being it was huge & heavy.

Note that I sold my set without the 10" CRT, there was an extra paper mask that could be removed to make it a 12"set and it appears that is what has happened here

I would note though that my set had a cracked dial glass (as I recall) and was missing the record changer, so possibly it's not the same and the door pattern is a faux finish and therefore all the same?

Attachments:
capecab1.jpg
capecab1.jpg [ 186.23 KiB | Viewed 573 times ]
capehartcl.jpg
capehartcl.jpg [ 159.96 KiB | Viewed 573 times ]

PostPosted: May Mon 27, 2019 12:24 pm 

Hi Oldtvsandtoys.very nice and rare tv!I have had the table model version of this set (651p) since 81.havent ran it in a few years since it's got mostly org caps,gonna try to get to it one day. The table model was the "Adams family " tv.iirc,I got knobs from a member of this forum,radio pup.
RonL.
https:/youtube.com/watch?v=9EKBFUSVHF4

PostPosted: May Tue 28, 2019 7:21 am 

That is a nice find. I would concur that the number of survivors of this model is in the low double digits. There are actually 2 slightly different versions of this model that were produced. The one like the OP's and Phil's has a rectangular CRT mask, light colored face, and is about 2" taller than the other one and is the one mostly seen. The other version is later, has a modified double-D mask, a dark colored face and is shorter.

The model tag on the earlier one in my collection is marked 661-P10 built on 3/24/49 with a serial number of 500004 and on the later one in my collection it is marked 661-P S/N 507394 with a build date of 5/24/49. I have only seen one other like the later one, posted in this thread: https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vi ... 3&t=293389 The mask style on the later one was used on the 1950 sets.

Here is a photo of the two versions side by side. I do have the knobs for the newer one.

oldtvsandtoys: I may be able to help with your incorrect knob. I'll look and let you know.

Attachments:
20190526_205747c.jpg
20190526_205747c.jpg [ 372.09 KiB | Viewed 510 times ]

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries." A. A. Milne

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 2:05 am 

Eric H wrote:
decojoe67 wrote:
Tony F wrote:

Tony

Interesting, I had this exact model at one time, I sold it to someone back east and they had someone here ship it to them, judging by the patterns on the lower doors I think it might be the very same set. I had recapped the TV and it was working, but the cabinet was n rough shape, the lower left door was water damaged and warped which was on of the reasons I got rid of it, the other being it was huge & heavy.

Note that I sold my set without the 10" CRT, there was an extra paper mask that could be removed to make it a 12"set and it appears that is what has happened here

I would note though that my set had a cracked dial glass (as I recall) and was missing the record changer, so possibly it's not the same and the door pattern is a faux finish and therefore all the same?[/quote

anyone need any parts off this set?

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 3:09 pm 

oldtvsandtoys wrote:
...anyone need any parts off this set?

Are you parting this set out ? I suspect there are more than 10, but they are pretty uncommon. I has mine shipped from the East coast after years of not finding one locally.

Post subject: Re: Capehart 661P
PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 5:08 pm 

I am parting this one out.
It’s a model 504P

Attachments:
capehartcl.jpg
capehartcl.jpg [ 161.78 KiB | Viewed 264 times ]