Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 22, 2019 8:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What happens to all the defective sets sold nowadays
PostPosted: May Tue 28, 2019 1:23 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JclVpXicjY

Look at the logistics involved with this process.

Dan

Post subject: Re: What happens to all the defective sets sold nowadays
PostPosted: May Wed 29, 2019 10:50 pm 

I thought the refurbishing process now was to drop it in a shredder?

PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 5:07 pm 

If the LCD itself is bad, then yes that's pretty much what happens. But more common are mainboard or power supply faults. It's worth doing for a large (70" plus) TV.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 01, 2019 6:04 am 

I've often wondered what becomes of tube TVs these days by the small town scrap centers and individuals who offer to "recycle" them for next to nothing.

Knowing that there are only a few (?) facilities in the US that still professionally and safely deconstruct the CRT materials and the horrid expense of shipping or transporting them, I feel that a lot of them just end up in a pile or pit somewhere like all other trash, after the bits of worthwhile scrap are taken.

In fact I just Googled this topic again and found https://resource-recycling.com/recycling/2019/04/02/lawsuits-take-aim-at-dozens-of-electronics-recycling-firms/ from April, which indicates that over 300 million pounds of CRTs were shipped to facilities that never actually recycled them:

Quote:
In new court filings seeking cleanup funds, two warehouse owners have named over 40 electronics recycling companies they say contributed to what became the largest CRT glass stockpile in U.S. history. The landlords invoke Superfund law in their suits.

CRTs, or cathode-ray tubes, were used in the bulky televisions and computer monitors that have been replaced by flat-screen technology over the past 20 years. The tubes contain lead, and as TV and screen manufacturing has shifted, recovered CRT glass has become a negative-value material for electronics processors.

The complaints in the recent lawsuits come from owners of properties in Columbus, Ohio, and they allege e-scrap companies from across the U.S. and Canada shipped CRT glass to properties leased by a company called Closed Loop Refining and Recovery. Closed Loop shuttered in 2016 and left an estimated 316 million pounds of CRT materials on multiple properties in Arizona and Ohio.

Among the 41 companies and one solid waste district named in the lawsuits are some of the e-scrap industry’s most prominent businesses.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 01, 2019 1:23 pm 

I think we've finally come to the time where we can truly say that a television set is a throwaway item. Particularly your average sized model.
I had my last TV repaired in an old repair shop back in the late '80's. I paid about $60-$70. Good money to bad. It was an older small color VCR combo unit and within a few weeks the VCR starting giving me problems. I just got another set, trashed the old one, and decided I'd never bring in any new electronics in for repair again.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 01, 2019 2:27 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
I don't see how electronic repair can be profitable for the consumer, when new replacement electronics are so inexpensive and labour rates are as high as they need to be to make a living.

When I ran my power equipment shop (1989 to 2007), my shop rate rose from $45/hour (1989) to $60 per hour (2007) and techs were getting paid anywhere from $15/hr to $25/hr depending on skill level. A customer could go to Home Depot or Lowes etc and buy a new mower with warranty, for the same price as four hours labour in the shop. I never understood why people repaired things. I'd have customers bring in a $195 trimmer for $100 worth of repairs....

I know nothing about electronic repair parts availability these days, but is it possible that parts are just not available? Back in the late 1970's I worked in a TV store doing repairs, and that's when Philips brought out it's "modular service board" sets. We did no repairs ... just changed boards from a master set, then sent the old boards back for factory refurb. I saw that and figured it was the end of consumer TV repair then..... and that's fourty years ago.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 01, 2019 2:53 pm 

I just saw they are selling new 65-inch 4K TVs for around $400 at Wal-Mart. Repair can't possibly make sense with prices like that (on the other hand I'm wondering why TVs are that cheap, something doesn't add up).

That said, I'd bet there are a fair number of junked CRTs that would be of use or even in demand by the vintage TV community. Some percentage of what has been thrown away and not recycled has to be 21" color tubes, etc., right? I wonder if the owner of that place would let a guy wander through for a day with his CR70 and reduce the size of the pile.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 08, 2019 1:29 am 

alaninsitges wrote:
I just saw they are selling new 65-inch 4K TVs for around $400 at Wal-Mart. Repair can't possibly make sense with prices like that (on the other hand I'm wondering why TVs are that cheap, something doesn't add up).

That said, I'd bet there are a fair number of junked CRTs that would be of use or even in demand by the vintage TV community. Some percentage of what has been thrown away and not recycled has to be 21" color tubes, etc., right? I wonder if the owner of that place would let a guy wander through for a day with his CR70 and reduce the size of the pile.

Build quality of many cheap sets is often abysmal...the panel clips into the plastic fingers of the front, double stick tape a couple boards onto the back of the back of the panel, then clip the back on with more plastic fingers that are part of the back or front...no metal and the only thing that costs more than 3 to make being the panel... contrast that to a 1970 Zenith with a wood cabinet, stamped steel chassis, a power transformer the size of a softball, etc.

Some folks do pick Ewaste sites, but some Ewaste sites don't let you pick stuff... Small CRT deltagun color sets are very rare due to the ease of disposal....A friend that works at Rockwell went to their employee Ewaste day found a 13" tube color Zenith there and got told if he took it he'd be fired... That totally ruined his day.

My office is small and employees can't put personal Ewaste in the bin but we can take stuff out... I've gotten some decent used PCs out of the bin. Seems corporate policy is machines have to be in warranty for them to care to do more than the barest minimum repair.