Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Tue 10, 2019 5:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Samsung TV
PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 11:59 pm 

It is not an antique but I am trying to fix it. Model LN46A550P3F SN ALXK3CEQC07910L I replaced power board( which I bought online) sent it back got another one and all it does is click every so many seconds. Could I have another bad board? Any ideas as to where to look next? There are a couple more boards but guy I dealt with said it would most likely be the power board. Can not see any burnt or bulging caps. Thanks paul

Post subject: Re: Samsung TV
PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 2:23 am 

This might be a better board to ask on; http://www.videokarma.org/

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 2:36 am 

With 46" LED TVs now less than $229, I can't understand the economics of repairing a 9-year old TV. I have a Samsung LN46C650, and when she goes, it'll get replaced, with a newer, feature filled set.

My Samsung draws 210 watts - the new 55" sets draw 1/5th that. Again, economics.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 8:28 am 

Maybe he wants to fix it because he'll get satisfaction from making it live again. A lot of us are like that, and put time and $ into sets that certainly don't deserve the love based on their economic value; it's just the challenge.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 12:42 pm 

fifties wrote:
Maybe he wants to fix it because he'll get satisfaction from making it live again. A lot of us are like that, and put time and $ into sets that certainly don't deserve the love based on their economic value; it's just the challenge.

Only to die within a year? It's a 9-year old LCD TV - with CCFL backlights. His power board is likely cycling because of inverter load, from bad CCFL lamps. It's not an easy fix, replacing those CCFL lamps - all of them, and sourcing them is another problem. You've got to order 2X what you need because of breakage - thin glass tubes 0.2" (2-3mm) in diameter.....then not to damage the screen, the connections to the screen, and hope that it will work once it's all back together?

Here's the whole operation, albeit on an older set than his, and a full transplant of the CCFL assembly, NOT available anymore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO2gHBJCvH0

Sure, lets buy all 14, no 28 lamps, and replace them - no easy task, and as pointed out in the video, if you snap one of the brittle plastic holders, it's scrap once again.

I've seen several go down that road, only to end up thinking......Why did I even start?. No satisfaction whatsoever.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 3:57 pm 

Time is money if a repair is not quick and simple (like caps) and parts and time cost more than a new or used one even after putting value on satisfaction of doing it myself, then it gets scrapped.... at least anything newer than 1975.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 1:59 am 

does the set turn on,play its startup tune,then click?
it may be as simple as 2 tiny,underrated solid polymer caps in the secondary supplies on the mainboard.
unfortunately they are smd so they can be tricky for a first timer.
look for the +5 and +3.3 supplies on the main to droop partway through the boot process.
yes its a computer....