Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 17, 2019 12:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith Console televison Horizontal line
PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 10:14 pm 

Hello, i recently replaced all paper, wax, and filter capacitors today, and when i fire the tv up, all i get is static from the speaker, along with a bright, horizontal line going across the screen. How do i fix this? The chassis model is 22t20. Any help is appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Zenith Console televison Horizontal line
PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 10:29 pm 

Your vertical Deflection stage is not opperating (evidenced by the horizontal line) start there. Make sure your vertical osc and output tube are good, make sure your resistors in that stage measure in their rated tolerance, make sure the vertical output transformer is not open or shorted....same for the vertical winding of the yoke, verify your B+ voltages for the vertical are present.
Doing voltage checks and comparing to the schematic may speed troubleshooting the vertical...once you have a full raster then we can look at getting an A/V signal through it.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 12:08 am 

Important. Turn down the brightness so you do not burn a horizontal line in the phosphor.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 8:42 pm 

Biggest question is BEFORE the recap what was the set doing symptom wise ?
Yes there is no vert deflection & thats where you start.
Yes keep the brite down VERY low while you trouble shoot it.
But it helps to know if this was a previous problem or a recap problem to choose
your approach & save time & $$$.

73 Zeno
LFOD !

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 9:35 pm 

You might try inserting a 60-cycle signal into the grid of the oscillator. The vertical runs at about that frquency, so grab it from the heater circuit. Tag a .01 cap from the heater to that grid. If the screen changes drastically, your problem is in the oscillator. If that screen stays a line, the output is dead. An olde Indian taught me that trick...... Craig

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 2:04 am 

analog.tv wrote:
You might try inserting a 60-cycle signal into the grid of the oscillator. The vertical runs at about that frquency, so grab it from the heater circuit. Tag a .01 cap from the heater to that grid. If the screen changes drastically, your problem is in the oscillator. If that screen stays a line, the output is dead. An olde Indian taught me that trick...... Craig

THAT is the voice of experience. Thanks for the troubleshooting tip, putting that one in the toolbox. Takest thine behind over to the Hints and Kinks forumes and posteth this there, for thou may save some poor sod what is left of his hair! :lol:

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 4:24 am 

madlabs wrote:
analog.tv wrote:

THAT is the voice of experience. Thanks for the troubleshooting tip, putting that one in the toolbox. Takest thine behind over to the Hints and Kinks forumes and posteth this there, for thou may save some poor sod what is left of his hair! :lol:

I was actually able to get the set fully working by just adjusting some of the controls. Thanks for the input though!

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 1:22 pm 

If the vertical size (height) control was dirty, or had an open spot, that would kill the sweep. In many TV sets, that control is fed from boost B+, and the high voltage sometimes burns the control.

Other common causes of no vertical sweep are open oscillator and output transformers, especially in early sets.