Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 14, 2019 12:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dates of Rider's TV manuals
PostPosted: Jul Mon 15, 2019 3:50 am 

I've seen lists of the approximate dates of the Rider's manuals for radios, but so far haven't seen anything for the TV manuals. The years covered in the volumes from 12 through 16 are specifically what I'm looking for. Anyone know?

Post subject: Re: Dates of Rider's TV manuals
PostPosted: Jul Mon 15, 2019 5:27 pm 

I know volume 13 had the famous RCA CT-100, so that would have been 1954. I'm guessing roughly 1953-57 on those volumes

PostPosted: Jul Mon 15, 2019 5:42 pm 

I have the index for Rider TV volumes 1-9 and it was published in 1952. Some years had more than one volume issued.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 16, 2019 5:17 pm 

Mark,

Vol 12 - 1953
Vol 13 - 1954
Vol 14 - 1954
Vol 15 - 1955
Vol 16 - 1955

http://www.myvintagetv.com

PostPosted: Jul Tue 16, 2019 10:07 pm 

Thanks, all -- that helps me date some items, at least generally.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 08, 2019 8:12 pm 

I used to have the complete set of Riders TV which goes from Vol-1 to Vol-26 or 27 (can't recall).

As I recall there were some transistor radios in the last few volumes

I kept the first 5 and donated the rest to a university library. Vol-1 is a smaller format book, the same size as the radios. Vol 2 up is a big format. Vol-1 covers all the early stuff and the interesting sets for me were all in the first 5. Predicta's are not in the first five.

I am considering parting with the final 5 as part of my downsizing, hate to see them go to the trash heap. The complete set is big and heavy.

Jim

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2019 5:24 am 

jimmc wrote:
I used to have the complete set of Riders TV which goes from Vol-1 to Vol-26 or 27 (can't recall).

As I recall there were some transistor radios in the last few volumes

I kept the first 5 and donated the rest to a university library. Vol-1 is a smaller format book, the same size as the radios. Vol 2 up is a big format. Vol-1 covers all the early stuff and the interesting sets for me were all in the first 5. Predicta's are not in the first five.

I am considering parting with the final 5 as part of my downsizing, hate to see them go to the trash heap. The complete set is big and heavy.

Jim

The original volumes 1 and 2 were small format. There were later abridged versions of volumes 1 and 2 that were the large format. That information is probably useless, but at least the knowledge is now out there.

Attachments:
Riders.jpg
Riders.jpg [ 259.09 KiB | Viewed 446 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2019 4:40 pm 

My set of Riders all came drom the same original owner when I got them back in the 1990's. I don't know if my larger format volume #2 is abbriged. I donated everything from #6 up to a local University Library that wanted everything early television. I eventually wanted to look up something and was not allowed to peruse the stacks. They eat up a huge amount of shelf space.

I worked for a TV repair shop that burned to the ground. The owner gave me the SAM's which were stored in an upstairs office and some are smoked and show charing on the folders. I only pulled out the sets I wanted to collect

The TV shops subscribed to SAM's and would file away the TV set folders but toss the radio stuff as soon as we opened the envelope.

I like SAM's as their schematics were always layed out the same where Riders would often publish the manufactures literature.

I also have the original RCA manuals for the 621TS, 630TS, and CTC100.

Jim

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2019 7:41 pm 

jimmc wrote:
I worked for a TV repair shop that burned to the ground. The owner gave me the SAM's which were stored in an upstairs office and some are smoked and show charing on the folders. I only pulled out the sets I wanted to collect

Jim

Me too!

I have an entire set of the AR and TSM manuals to mid-1973 with scorched spines from a flash fire fueled by chemical cleaners. Cover/Back/insides are pristine, but the 750 degree flash fire sure scorched the spines. No soot or funky smell either - just blackened spines.....

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 8:10 am 

Wait....you donated that whole set to that library and they wouldn't let you peruse them? That's a pretty rotten thing to do.