Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 26, 2020 2:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Big Antique TV auction this weekend
PostPosted: Aug Tue 25, 2020 2:14 am 

I saw this on the ETF site today, and just paging through the pictures was tantalizing!
https://auctions.mclarenauction.com/auctions/4-NOZB9/august-30th-vintage-television-auction

306 lots, TV sets from 1946 to the '80s or so, plus a bunch of set-top antennas. I've got no skin in this game, but there are sure some not-bad sets in that collection, including several RCA 8PCS41s and a very early Westinghouse 15" color. A bunch of common sets too of course: Admiral 19A11s, Motorola Golden Views, Predictas, etc. I think all are unrestored, as-is, and pretty much everything starts at a $20 bid.

The auction is in Oregon, I believe, but there is an online option apparently.

Looks like fun!

Post subject: Re: Big Antique TV auction this weekend
PostPosted: Aug Tue 25, 2020 5:56 pm 

Yep, tantalyzing, except for location.

I'll simply note that that guy loved 7jp4s.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 25, 2020 6:52 pm 

Common sets with a few rarities. My favs is the 7" National with the original magnifier. That piece is rarity. The 7" Airline with 45 player is rarely seen. Of course the early Westinghouse color console is a museum piece.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 25, 2020 8:54 pm 

I suspect the shipping costs will be enormous

PostPosted: Aug Wed 26, 2020 4:21 am 

Sorta within range for me. But that's a lodda TVs! And all those consoles that will have a hard time finding a home.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 26, 2020 5:11 am 

I think that location will be an issue for bringing top dollar for anything, due to high shipping costs. Lots of nice sets though. Looking through them, I only saw a couple models that I haven't either serviced or owned over the past decades.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 26, 2020 1:31 pm 

I'm afraid there are simply too many sets, and too many commons, for the auction to bring in any real money, other that 3 or 4 of them. Add location, and there will be a ton of unsold sets there. In a perfect world, with me 30 years younger, a giant building to house them..I'd be all over this. But I had many, many rare TV's over the years that simply got little action on the selling block. I'm hopeful this auction does well, but that's optimism.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 27, 2020 12:33 am 

I'm pretty sure it was this auction company that was asking for someone to ID and value a bunch of sets in Oregon on one of the FB groups a few weeks ago. I put them in touch with Phil Nelson (who I'd bet wrote those descriptions). Hopefully he's at least tangentially connected and will make sure they are saved somehow if they don't sell. I have about six or seven bucket list sets in there but logistically it's just not possible for me right now.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 27, 2020 4:12 am 

The auction website specifies the shipping --
Quote:
If you live outside of the local area, please be advised that shipping is only provided for smaller items. Your credit card will automatically be charged for shipping once the actual costs have been calculated. Buyers must make their own freight arrangements for consoles and larger televisions.

It's just as well, since I'm more and more space-limited, that this sort of thing isn't closer.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 27, 2020 5:01 am 

alaninsitges wrote:
I put them in touch with Phil Nelson (who I'd bet wrote those descriptions).
Hmm, maybe you mean some other Phil. I only heard about this auction a few days ago, from another collector. No connection to the auction company.

I'm located about 3.5 hours from that auction site. I'm not in buying mode these days, but it might be fun to watch.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html

PostPosted: Aug Thu 27, 2020 12:51 pm 

philsoldradios wrote:
alaninsitges wrote:
I put them in touch with Phil Nelson (who I'd bet wrote those descriptions).
Hmm, maybe you mean some other Phil. I only heard about this auction a few days ago, from another collector. No connection to the auction company.

I'm located about 3.5 hours from that auction site. I'm not in buying mode these days, but it might be fun to watch.

I knew you were in the area so pointed him to your site and told him to talk to you. :) At any rate they found someone to ID all those sets. I SO wish I could bring about a half-dozen to Spain.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 28, 2020 6:39 am 

Quote:
I SO wish I could bring about a half-dozen to Spain.

Get a group of like-minded friends together and fill a 40' container! Sea freight is cheap at the moment...

PostPosted: Aug Fri 28, 2020 9:53 am 

irob2345 wrote:

Get a group of like-minded friends together and fill a 40' container! Sea freight is cheap at the moment...

I think there are like four of us in Europe.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 30, 2020 1:49 am 

I'll be watching that Westinghouse color television. I sold it in working condition (rebuilt) about 20 years ago for $3k. Although still interested in television sets, I have none and do not plan to buy any.

Norman

PostPosted: Aug Mon 31, 2020 12:14 am 

Braithwaite wrote:
I'll be watching that Westinghouse color television. I sold it in working condition (rebuilt) about 20 years ago for $3k. Although still interested in television sets, I have none and do not plan to buy any.

Norman

I just bought it for a $1.7k, now I have to find a service to transport it back to Wisconsin.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 31, 2020 12:57 am 

Electronic Memory wrote:
now I have to find a service to transport it back to Wisconsin.
I have used Craters & Freighters to ship several TVs and radios in the past. They will pick up the item, build a custom crate, and ship. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. They appear to have a location in Portland:

https://www.cratersandfreighters.com/locations/

The auction company may have already researched other possibilities.

Congrats on scoring that Westinghouse!

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html

PostPosted: Aug Mon 31, 2020 2:25 am 

I had my eye on the Westinghouse as well, but wasn't prepared to pay that much for it. Will wait for another opportunity on one of those, as I'm young enough to be in this hobby for many years to come.

I did pick up 13 small sets at bargain basement prices, some of which are pretty trashy and I will simply harvest for CRTs, but others will be restored and sold to others. Might keep the Airline 7" with AM/FM and 45 RPM record player, since it's such an oddity. Also the Crosley 10" bakelite set looks cool enough to keep, perhaps.

Getting a truck to ship the stuff down this coming week.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 31, 2020 6:46 am 

Tom, you should keep both the Airline and the Crosley Bakelite. The Airline because it’s just about the smallest vintage “triple threat” set you’ll ever see. And the Crosley because it’s cosmic looking, like a weird little Halolight (minus the light).

I had my eye on a couple of other sets, but some unexpected family stuff came up, and by the time that dust settled, the auction was over!

A number of sets were marked as “Passed.” What does that mean — no bids on that item? I wonder what happens to all the “passed” items?

Phil Nelson
Phil’s Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/ind3x.html

PostPosted: Aug Mon 31, 2020 7:08 am 

Tom Albrecht wrote:
I had my eye on the Westinghouse as well, but wasn't prepared to pay that much for it. Will wait for another opportunity on one of those, as I'm young enough to be in this hobby for many years to come.

I did pick up 13 small sets at bargain basement prices, some of which are pretty trashy and I will simply harvest for CRTs, but others will be restored and sold to others. Might keep the Airline 7" with AM/FM and 45 RPM record player, since it's such an oddity. Also the Crosley 10" bakelite set looks cool enough to keep, perhaps.

Getting a truck to ship the stuff down this coming week.

If you ever decide to sell the airline please let me know. I was going to bid that thing up to $300 but got distracted messaging a friend and missed it...I have a small collection of RCA RP-168(the same used in the airline) and RP-190 45 changers and this would be a cool crossover item to have.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 31, 2020 9:26 pm 

I guess I now have the largest triple threat ever made -- the DuMont Westminster -- with its tilt-out picture tube, and the smallest -- this new Airline. Two should be enough!

Electronic Memory, I'll definitely keep you in mind if I decide to let go of the Airline at some point.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 66 posts ]  Moderators: Mr. Detrola, 7jp4-guy Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next