Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 26, 2020 2:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Big Antique TV auction this weekend
PostPosted: Sep Tue 01, 2020 2:45 pm 

I just looked at the auction results (9:44 AM EDT, 1 September) and was amazed at how low the bidding was. There were many bargains there to my eye!

PostPosted: Sep Tue 01, 2020 6:12 pm 

I picked off a 7" Raytheon and a 7" TeleTone with magnifier. Yes, the prices were very low. There was more interest in the Zenith consoles than the others of the same vintage. Many of sets went for $20 or didn't sell at all.

What I wonder is, who had all these sets? And why were they sold at auction like this? What will happen with the unsold sets?

Essentially, none were restored. 80% had little collector value, but there were some good ones, and the very rare Westinghouse color. The National with magnifier went for $250. Add 18% to all prices for the auction house cut.

=====
Ron

PostPosted: Sep Tue 01, 2020 8:00 pm 

I think the 1955 Philco color is rarer than the Westinghouse and a true bargain at $600.00.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 01, 2020 8:34 pm 

I made a list of the items and their selling prices in a Word table, so we can sort out different info from the sale.
http://tv-boxes.com/misc/Auction_results_table.docx

One of the big "truisms" of TV and radio collecting is that consoles mostly have little value to collectors. I added a column called "category" so consoles, portables and advertising can be sorted. Consoles were, indeed, usually low bids. Advertising signs brought more than most of the TVs.

I didn't include the lots of rabbit ears or other items. Some of those set top antennas were moderately cool, though. And I was outbid on the Vision Labs model TVZ signal booster. I have one, but in fairly poor condition, so it'd have been nice to get a better-looking one. It's a pretty rare item, but $50 is a fairly high price for any booster or UHF converter -- one reason why I, a cheapskate, collect them!.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 03, 2020 10:12 pm 

Re: H840CK15

Quote:
It was working as recently as 2018 but has been unused and untested since. It is all-original and as-found electronically.

Isn't it quite unusual for a set of this vintage (and at the time, groundbreaking in new tech) to still work with the all-original components? There were some really interesting pieces in this auction I didn't realize shipping was an option and missed out. I love the small portable styles and pilot variety.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 03, 2020 11:19 pm 

MattPilz wrote:
Re: H840CK15

Quote:
It was working as recently as 2018 but has been unused and untested since. It is all-original and as-found electronically.

Isn't it quite unusual for a set of this vintage (and at the time, groundbreaking in new tech) to still work with the all-original components? There were some really interesting pieces in this auction I didn't realize shipping was an option and missed out. I love the small portable styles and pilot variety.

Yes it is. But it was not all original components. It had been rebuilt by Bob Baker of Shingletown at the time before I purchased it in the mid-1990s.

Norman

PostPosted: Sep Sat 05, 2020 3:24 pm 

TahoeTV wrote:
I picked off a 7" Raytheon and a 7" TeleTone with magnifier. Yes, the prices were very low. There was more interest in the Zenith consoles than the others of the same vintage. Many of sets went for $20 or didn't sell at all.

What I wonder is, who had all these sets? And why were they sold at auction like this? What will happen with the unsold sets?

Essentially, none were restored. 80% had little collector value, but there were some good ones, and the very rare Westinghouse color. The National with magnifier went for $250. Add 18% to all prices for the auction house cut.

=====
Ron

Ron, this was Ed Westfall's collection. Ed was a long-term Eugene OR radio, TV, and vintage auto parts collector with several outbuildings stuffed full of hundreds of tube radios and TVs, who passed away last year. His adult kids came up from CA in Nov to sell his collection, starting with the radios which were sold individually and in small groupings via CL and eBay. They went through the radios and auto stuff pretty steadily over a 6-month period, but had relatively high prices in mind on the TVs because of prices an East Coast TV collector had given them after a video-conference viewing (as I understand it), and only moved a few, finally deciding to consign them with McClaren. Ed was a great guy with a heart of gold who gathered his collection over many years of treasure-hunting trips scouring the West and Midwest in a van with his wife. I knew him for 25 years, saw the collection many times and rarely found him to be interested in selling anything. He seldom missed the annual Seattle Shoreline radio swap, and the vast majority of his collection was simply found and then stored away for decades. I bought over 20 of his radios, 2 TVs and a neon radio station clock earlier this summer, and feel honored to have them because in my mind Ed represented the best aspects of the radio hobby and interacting with fellow collectors.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 05, 2020 4:05 pm 

Thanks, Steve.
I didn't know of Ed Westfall, but he sounds like a good guy.
I guess his kids did the best one can do to dispose of so many things.

If I get a TV or radio, I will ask if the sellers have any story they can attach to the set. If they can, I will write it down and put it with the set. I guess I think of these sets the way that some people think of a house, and those who had lived in it.

=====
Ron

PostPosted: Sep Sun 06, 2020 7:28 am 

I didn't hear about this auction until the day before, but did end up getting 6 sets. This was close to home for me, and a I rarely find anything like this for sale locally. I asked the auction company about unsold items, as I started wishing I had picked up a couple for parts, given the price. The
auction company says they will be worked into future auctions. Now to get a couple sets working!

PostPosted: Sep Thu 10, 2020 4:54 pm 

Does anyone know typical time to get a quote from craters and freighters?
After a week of getting no quotes from my U-ship listing I submitted a request for quote to craters and freighters on Tuesday and have yet to hear back. The 2 week pick up deadline is on Sunday and not having transport lined up is making me nervous....
If I can't find transport would anyone here be willing to pick it up for me and store it till spring? Under normal circumstances I'd probably have already booked a flight and rented a van back (and still may if that becomes my only option) but my family is worried about the corona beer virus and strongly opposes me traveling till the corona beer virus is over.

EDIT: craters and freighters got back to me with a quote and are handling it.

philsoldradios wrote:
Electronic Memory wrote:
now I have to find a service to transport it back to Wisconsin.
I have used Craters & Freighters to ship several TVs and radios in the past. They will pick up the item, build a custom crate, and ship. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. They appear to have a location in Portland:

https://www.cratersandfreighters.com/locations/

The auction company may have already researched other possibilities.

Congrats on scoring that Westinghouse!

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html

PostPosted: Sep Fri 11, 2020 2:34 am 

Congratulations on scoring the Westinghouse! That's rarer than the CT-100.

Classic, what sets did you get?

PostPosted: Sep Fri 11, 2020 6:57 am 

Tim Tress wrote:
Congratulations on scoring the Westinghouse! That's rarer than the CT-100.

Classic, what sets did you get?

Thanks. With the Westinghouse and my working CT-100 I now own the 2 least rare 15GP22 sets. I also own what may be the only surviving Tel-instrument 15GP22 based monitor, but the HV cage is gutted and the CRT hardware was gone (I managed to source a down to air 15G and yoke to make it look less bad) so it's a long way (read that that waiting for me to find a parts CT-100) from working.
I really want a 15G based Zenith or Admiral in my collection so once I have the westy working I may see if I could trade it for one.

Due to distance and logistics I only bought the Westinghouse, a Bakelite Crosley, and a Philco advertising banner(philco is my 3rd best represented TV brand and 1st represented radio brand)....I was going to bid the Airline mini triple threat up high but fell asleep at the switch so to speak...I also considered bidding on the Philco TV123 color set if it went for cheap enough....But since I already own one, shipping would be expensive and it had enough other bidder interest to assure me it won't be fishtailed I walked away from it.
I probably could have bought more but I may be purchasing a 47 Oldsmobile fastback coupe soon and don't want to spend those funds on TVs (I've got plenty of great TVs already).

PostPosted: Sep Fri 11, 2020 9:28 pm 

Ive never seen the first RCA or Westy color in person but from pictures the Westy wins my vote for looks. I was even jealous of the person that bought the empty Westy cabinet on ebay. All that white around the tube sure looks nice. Congrats.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 12, 2020 8:28 am 

[quote="TahoeTV"

=====
Ron[/quote]

You just answered part of your own question about the bidding, that extra 18% is a real disservice to the seller of any item. If someone factors that 18% into their bids then they are going to make their bids at least 18% lower, which comes out of the seller's bottom line. When it's something like vintage electronics the appeal tends to be very narrow to start with, and the younger generations have no personal connection with tube equipment, and don't really care about antiques, so there answer's the other half of the question.
We had a local auction house where I am that did the buyer's premium scam, they didn't last long, which isn't too surprising since they were newly established with no reputation. The woman that ran it was a failed antique dealer, who took a quickie auctioneer's course in another province, that burned her bridges all over town, including with her husband apparently. Basically the only people who bought from them were flea market dealers. So after a time all they ended up was junk that was probably dumped off on the way to the dump, they changed location a few times, in the hunt for a cheaper premises, then disappeared. The ones that last don't do this, just a straight commission off the sale price, you can't pretend you are Southerby's unless you are dealing in million dollar art treasures.
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Sep Sat 12, 2020 5:27 pm 

Took delivery this morning. Thirteen TVs came by UShip -- my first time working with them. Only $158 shipping cost (not sure how the shipper makes a profit at that price, but that is not my problem, I guess).

Some of these are just for parts and CRTs, but quite a few of them will be restored.

Attachment:
TVs from McLaren Auction.jpg
TVs from McLaren Auction.jpg [ 204.85 KiB | Viewed 504 times ]

The 18% auction house premium irritated me as well. I will read the fine print more carefully in the future. Still, prices were very low, so I can't really complain.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 12, 2020 6:21 pm 

I noticed two RCA 8 TS 30's went for 425.00 which I thought was rather high! They both were all original and in very good condition. I have seen several around here in Connecticut for sale but nothing as nice as these two sets! Has this model become more desirable than the 630 TCS? Maybe it was the fine condition that made the difference. I do like the style of the cabinet of the 8TS30.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 12, 2020 6:52 pm 

Arran: Didn't know I had a question about the auction prices. In most states we pay a sales tax which is added to just about everything we buy. Why not include it in the price, like they do in Europe? The reason is historical: when these taxes were first imposed, sellers wanted the buyers to know what was being collected from them. In fact, it is typically not legal to include the sales tax in the item price, except for things like a ball park vendor's hot dog. So, I as not surprised to see the auction premium.

My question about where the sets came from was answered by Steve (EarlGray1).

Tom: I did read about the auction premium (18%) which was a little lower for those bidding in person. I can hardly believe your low shipping costs. Here's my story: My sister volunteered to pick up my two 7" sets and a magnifier. She called and was given directions. She planned to pick them up about a week after the auction close. However, I received an invoice for shipping only a 6 days after the auction. The amount was $132. I called and emailed to stop this. Evidently, the sets were already at a shipping store in a neighboring town. Finally, they stopped the shipment, promised to refund the charge already made to my card, and my sister got the sets on Friday. The sets were packed in huge padded boxes. I'll have to check that I get that charge refunded.

====
Ron

PostPosted: Sep Sun 13, 2020 2:01 am 

Tom Albrecht wrote:
Some of these are just for parts and CRTs, but quite a few of them will be restored.
That is a nice assortment of sets. You made out like a bandit on that shipping cost!

BTW, I just noticed that four other sets from the auction have appeared on the Portland craigslist. I might not have noticed, but one of those listed is a GE 810 with factory stand. I restored an 810 during the last year, and I had never seen the stand before, so it naturally caught my eye.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

PostPosted: Sep Sun 13, 2020 4:29 pm 

Tom, I like that one in the front, with the radio dial. What is it? I don't recognize that one.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 13, 2020 7:53 pm 

That's a very unusual and somewhat rare Montgomery Wards Airline 7" TV with AM-FM radio and 45 RPM record player. Some would call it the smallest "triple threat" radio-TV-phono unit out there. I'll post some pictures later today, since this is a pretty unique one.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 66 posts ]  Moderators: Mr. Detrola, 7jp4-guy Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next