Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 26, 2020 1:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for information on a MUNTZ MPX Adapter?
PostPosted: Aug Sat 29, 2020 8:13 pm 

I have a Muntz AM-FM Radio Model AS-8042 that uses a MPX Adapter which I can not find any information on. I am looking for information and/or a schematic for the MPX Adapter for the radio. Would appreciate hearing from anyone that can help me. I have a Sams for the radio and associated amplifier but there is no information on the MPX Adapter in the Sams folder. If anyone has a schematic for a tube type MPX adapter theat might work I would appreciate the information. My email address is tvilov@comcast.net.

Post subject: Re: Looking for information on a MUNTZ MPX Adapter?
PostPosted: Aug Sun 30, 2020 1:28 am 

Tom, you should probably ask for help in the Radios forum, you may get more help there. This is the TV forum, so many or most readers here will not be familiar with the radio you have.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 30, 2020 10:27 pm 

The adapter may not have ever existed. In 40 + years I only saw
one from many brands that had a jack for one. I think was for a
Sherwood FM only tuner. So being Muntz it may have been a sales
pitch that was " never obsolete". Then a year later its " NLA !".
If one exists good luck finding one. Time better spent playing the
lottery IMHO.

73 Zeno 8)
LFOD !

PostPosted: Aug Mon 31, 2020 6:54 am 

Sam's tended to cover separate chassis add-on MPX decoders in separate folders so if it looks like a Muntz made MPX chassis checking Sam's from within a year or two might get you what you need.

Another thing to consider is most brands in the late 50s early 60s had MPX add-on connectors on their mono FM tuners but not all offered adapters and most tuner connectors and adapters were fairly universal so someone could have stuck an RCA, Sherwood, Scott, Fisher, Magnavox, Zenith, etc. MPX adapter in and made it work with little effort. Some of the accessory MPX adapters were non-descript (sometimes unbranded) chassis designed to be stuffed in the back of a console and never seen again.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 31, 2020 12:40 pm 

I was going to say, Stereo sound in televisions didn't exist until the mid 1980s.

This had me confused, but I see it is a FM Stereo adapter. :D

Are there any number markings or ID on the MPX decoder chassis itself?

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Aug Mon 31, 2020 4:21 pm 

I looked at several Muntz console stereo and TV combo diagrams and none showed the adapter.Their only units with multiplex appear to all be solid state. The connector seems straight forward, one in, two out, B+, filament and ground. Tube type adapters show up on E-Bay from time to time. Most any one could probably be made to work.

Attachments:
Muntz.jpg
Muntz.jpg [ 569.19 KiB | Viewed 456 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Mon 31, 2020 8:29 pm 

You can make pretty much any mpx adapter work. The key difference among all the tube models you'll find for sale is that they all have proprietary plugs/sockets for the power supply. You can usually find 6.3v and B+ on them, and adapt them to make them work. Other than that you just have an input and stereo output jacks. You can also find new solid-state units and even a few kits if you search around.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 29, 2020 6:54 am 

Another thing to consider is most brands in the late 50s early 60s had MPX add-on connectors on their mono FM tuners but not all offered adapters and most tuner connectors and adapters were fairly universal so someone MyGroundBiz could have stuck an RCA, Sherwood, Scott, Fisher, Magnavox, Zenith, etc. MPX adapter in and made it work with little effort. Some of the accessory MPX adapters were non-descript (sometimes unbranded) chassis designed to be stuffed in the back of a console and never seen again.