Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 26, 2020 2:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Unusual Bendix television
PostPosted: Sep Sun 20, 2020 9:09 pm 

I picked up this TV at Kutztown.
It attracted me as it has an unusual pushbutton tuning system, and I seem to be a sucker for unusual TV tuners. :D

Also, a search shows no threads on this one, so I thought I would start one. I was told this model was not uncommon, but I guess there is little interest in it.
Nonetheless, here it is.

Model 235 M1U from 1949. A 10BP4 tube which is nice as they are common enough. I have not checked this one yet.
I see the pushbuttons actuate a series of slug-tuned coils. One each with the RF, Mixer and Oscillator for 2-6 and another for 7-13.
It appears a switch pulled by a string switches between Hi VHF and Lo VHF range.

Pretty wild and fascinating, IMHO anyway. Hopefully not a kludge of a tuning system. Sad that there isn't anything on the air to tune. Well, unless I get several Agile modulators with a variety of programming setup :D

Anyhow here are photos.

-Syebe

Attachments:
bexdix-tv.jpg
bexdix-tv.jpg [ 442.46 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]
bendix-clsd.jpg
bendix-clsd.jpg [ 601.48 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]
bendix-buttons.jpg
bendix-buttons.jpg [ 509.68 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]
bendix-back.jpg
bendix-back.jpg [ 724.76 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]
bendix-labels.jpg
bendix-labels.jpg [ 561.53 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]
bendix-rf-subchassis.jpg
bendix-rf-subchassis.jpg [ 458.6 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]
bendix-hidden-tubes.jpg
bendix-hidden-tubes.jpg [ 360.1 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

Post subject: Re: Unusual Bendix television
PostPosted: Sep Mon 21, 2020 2:13 am 

There was very few post-war pushbutton TV's. Hallicrafters, Bendix, and an early Silvertone model is all I know of. I never saw one of those Bendix models working. I bet it's a good performer. It has a nice modern post-war look to it.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 21, 2020 2:48 am 

Based on the tubes used, I would date that to 1949. It's interesting that they used two 6W4 tubes as a LV rectifier. Pushing a 6SN7 as a vertical sweep amplifier is a bit much, but DuMont did it too. The 6BL7 was developed as an upgraded replacement for that application. According to the TV history site, 1950 was the last year that they were in the TV business.

There was a push early on to simplify television design, and so reduce the cost. Bendix made one model which didn't even have a damper tube! I have often wondered if Muntz got that idea from them.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 21, 2020 12:13 pm 

Yeah, I was surprised to see the 6SN7 IS the Vertical output. Also, no Horizontal phase discriminator either.

Perhaps this is why the little door may be missing on other examples of this model? The controls were probably fiddled with often.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Sep Mon 21, 2020 3:45 pm 

These sets are not all that common. The only one I have seen in person was IIRC the 2008 MARC Extravaganza swapmeet. Part of me wishes I had bought it. I've probably only seen 1-3 of these for sale on the web since then. There's a few dozen RCA 630/8TS30s for every one of these.

Tim Tress wrote:
Based on the tubes used, I would date that to 1949. It's interesting that they used two 6W4 tubes as a LV rectifier. Pushing a 6SN7 as a vertical sweep amplifier is a bit much, but DuMont did it too. The 6BL7 was developed as an upgraded replacement for that application. According to the TV history site, 1950 was the last year that they were in the TV business.

There was a push early on to simplify television design, and so reduce the cost. Bendix made one model which didn't even have a damper tube! I have often wondered if Muntz got that idea from them.

Muntz actually rebadged those damper less sets, but later on when Muntz started making their own sets they designed them to a similar standard of gutlessness.