Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 26, 2020 1:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA theater combo worth it?
PostPosted: Oct Sun 04, 2020 10:12 pm 

I recently picked up a RCA from 1968 ...a combo unit...the stereo and phono play great, the picture tube checks fair on my B&K ... flyback looks to be in good shape... the cabinet is very good shape ... my question is other than fixing it for fun... would it be worth the time and effort ? does anyone really want these anymore? or should I gut it and throw in a flat screen? and sell the chassis and CRT?

Post subject: Re: RCA theater combo worth it?
PostPosted: Oct Mon 05, 2020 2:29 am 

If your question is, "Can I make a bunch of money by restoring all the electronics and then selling for a profit," the answer is No.

For serious TV collectors, 1968 is too new to be interesting. And those ginormous "combo" sets with radio/phono/TV in one cabinet are so big and heavy that many people can't spare the room.

Installing a flat screen and selling it seems like a good idea in principle, but in reality, there doesn't seem to be a market for those Franken-TVs, either. Every once in a while I see one for sale on craigslist or wherever, and there don't seem to be many buyers.

If you don't want to fix it for your own enjoyment, you could contact a radio/TV collector club in your area and ask if anyone wants to take it as a donation. Here's a list of clubs:

http://antiqueradio.com/clublist.html

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html

PostPosted: Oct Mon 05, 2020 3:00 am 

A color set from 1968 likely doesn't need a full recap, maybe filters, a bunch of 6GH8 tubes (if applicable) and some cleaning and adjusting. Three are collectors who love these 60's Delta Gun sets, but no one really has room for them.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 05, 2020 3:48 am 

What chassis is in it?

PostPosted: Oct Mon 05, 2020 4:45 pm 

If it's in a Danish modern style cabinet there are furniture collectors that would pay around $500 for it...in that case repair work may be economically justified.

I disagree with serious collectors not being interested in these. I am a very serious collector (I've got nearly 100 sets including rare early color and early post war sets) and I have a soft spot for the later tube/hybrid sets and some of the cabinet styles of the time. I know of atleast one other collector that specializes in combos.
(Though currently my collection is basically at capacity till I move to bigger digs.)

The older boomers (which compose most of the collector community) that predate rectangular color don't seem to care much about these, and the bigger the TV the harder it is to find it a home.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 07, 2020 10:31 pm 

I'm not a TV collector, but I am a Magnavox collector. I finally found a Magnavox Stereo Theater that I'd been looking for over three years. Mine is a 1MR418M, a 1962 model with remote control. Mine is in a 60" cabinet, only two inches longer than the Concert Grand. It's frightfully heavy. I put new wheels on it so I can move it. This one has a 27' black and white TV that I don't have fully sorted. Mine came out of an abandoned house. I had to refinish the cabinet. The whole thing was green with cigarette smoke residue. I had to refinish the cabinet inside and out to eliminate the smoke odor. The thing is a marvel of both the best of American ingenuity and a huge kluge. Miles and miles of dangling, unruly wiring paired with the 93 series amp chassis, arguably the best Magnavox (or anyone) ever built. I'm thrilled to have mine, in my collection lineup between the big Imperial and the little Imperial. I've had a ball tinkering with it. An accurate schematic does not exist for mine, so I have to use something "close" then use my imagination beyond that. I'm not sure I'd bother with a solid state instrument, but I would not hesitate to redo a tube model.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 09, 2020 3:36 pm 

Magnavox schematics are referenced to the chassis number of the various units. The TV, tuner, amp, multiplex, and changer will all have different service literature. Look for the numbers stamped on the various chassis, or on paper labels.