Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 26, 2020 1:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone ever flip a philco vintage tv?
PostPosted: Oct Sat 24, 2020 11:02 am 

Going to an estate soon and I saw that they have a 1950s philco tv for sale. Checked eBay and there are a couple similar that have sold for 300+ dollars want to take cash advice online for it. Generally I’d stay away from tvs since they always seem hard to get rid of, but this one seems rare. Anyone got any experience with an item like this?

Last edited by Giettha on Nov Wed 11, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Anyone ever flip a philco vintage tv?
PostPosted: Oct Sat 24, 2020 12:52 pm 

Only 50's Philco I know off the top of my head that would sell for that much would be a Predicta.

It really depends on your area. Where I am you can't give away vintage TV's, other areas of the country they command decent dollars. If you have to get involved in shipping, forget it.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 24, 2020 4:05 pm 

There's a few they did that would be interesting, perhaps as a learning experience. Craig

PostPosted: Oct Sat 24, 2020 10:47 pm 

Remember that when searching eBay for an idea about what something might sell for, always go to the "Previously Sold" filter. The amount people WANT for some item does not always correlate well with how much someone else will actually PAY for it. This is especially true for old things that are out of the mainstream of "antiques," such as old radios or televisions. I've seen obscure electronic items linger for months and months on eBay under the burden of over-ambitious/ill-informed/greedy pricing.

If you have photos or description that includes a model number, the members here can give you a fair assessment of the value of just about any TV set. But physical condition of the set and market conditions often make more of a difference than age, manufacturer or provenance.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 25, 2020 12:02 am 

Location is everything as well, since TV's are generally too large and heavy to ship any more. If there are no buyers in your local area interested in that exact model, it will never go anywhere.

As others have pointed out it's not a good idea to try to buy and resell any vintage TV unless you are very familiar with them and know what has collector interest and what can't be given away.

Collectors want untouched, unrestored sets in excellent cosmetic condition with no missing or damaged parts such as knobs, grille cloth, back covers. They like to do their own work, and expect to buy sets at relatively low prices.

Non-collectors who want one or two vintage TV's usually don't know anything at all about electronics and only purchase sets which have been repaired at a level of professional quality and work properly. For someone trying to flip a set, the cost of having it properly restored first can never be recovered if someone other than yourself is doing the work.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.