Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 01, 2021 4:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philco Predictor in the England!
PostPosted: Aug Mon 02, 2021 4:47 pm 

Hi guys, from across the pond.

I'm going to be starting a Philco 11L43 Predictor soon, so thought I'd join here and say hi.

I hope you don't mind a Limey joining up!!

Thanks
Bob

Post subject: Re: Philco Predictor in the England!
PostPosted: Aug Tue 03, 2021 1:24 am 

Welcome and we anxiously await updates and of course... Pictures!

PostPosted: Aug Tue 03, 2021 1:26 am 

Well, we don't like Limeys but we tolerate them...

Just kidding. My Dad was from Coulsdon, Surrey. Welcome and good luck with your project!

PostPosted: Aug Tue 03, 2021 3:18 am 

I've fixed a few Filco Predictors. They are cool sets but what I really want is a GE Forcasta. I also have a Sylvania Triplette, but it's hard telling the 3 of those Sylvanias apart. :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Aug Tue 03, 2021 3:53 pm 

I hope this isn't your first vintage TV you have worked on Bob. Predictas are hard to work on.
However you would not be the first. Lots of advice here.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 04, 2021 9:39 pm 

Hi guys.

No, Notimetolooz, I've been restoring TVs professionally for over 20 years, just don't see much US stuff here in England. I certainly wouldn't want this as my first :D
I'll post some pics when I start....it's already been dismantled by the customer who sent it to me for restoration. So, I have no idea how it'll go back together.

Also, I've managed to get the Sams for the 10L43, but mine is the 11L43.....is there much difference?

Any stock faults/problems to look out for?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Bob

PostPosted: Aug Wed 04, 2021 11:51 pm 

I believe those two chassis are very similar. I don't remember what the differences are at the moment.
Do a search on this forum on "11L43" and see what comes up. ("Search" is one of the selections in red near the top of pages here.
Phil is a member here, although I haven't seen very much posting from him lately. There is a story about a table model.
https://www.antiqueradio.org/PhilcoH341 ... vision.htm

Also Bob Andersen is a member here. He has a huge amount of videos about working on radios and TV, including several Predictas. It is a lot to search however, I wish he had an index.
https://www.youtube.com/user/bandersentv/videos

The difficulty accessing the underside of boards is one problem, wiring is terminated by wrapping wire around posts. The quality of early circuit boards is not a strong point. The chassis run hot causing parts to fail, even the tube sockets become fragile from the heat. The original CRTs used low voltage filaments and usually must be replaced with a CRT with 6.3V filament with longer neck, causing modification of the rear of the case. The clear plastic screen cover on some models sometimes has hard to correct problems.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 05, 2021 8:10 am 

"I hope this isn't your first vintage TV you have worked on Bob. Predictas are hard to work on."

Not by comparison with many British TVs of the same vintage!!!
I'm sure our UK friend Bob would agree.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 09, 2021 8:35 pm 

Notimetolooz wrote:
Phil is a member here, although I haven't seen very much posting from him lately. There is a story about a table model.
https://www.antiqueradio.org/PhilcoH341 ... vision.htm .

Oh, I'm still here, just haven't been doing many new projects lately.

By coincidence, I recently did an inspection tour of all the sets in my TV rooms, playing each one for a while, on the lookout for things that have relapsed during a year or more of disuse. When I got to that Predicta, it played like a champ for a while, and then -- Oops, vanished raster! Tapping the horizontal output tube brought it back instantly. The tube checks out fine, and I doubt that the socket contacts have turned all gunky and corroded in the fairly short time since I restored the set and cleaned the devil out of every tube pin and socket. So I guess I have been struck by the notorious cheap-Predicta-socket syndrome.

The moral of that story? While you may think you're being thorough when redoing a Predicta, picture yourself in a couple of years, wishing you had gone just a little farther while you had it disassembled on your bench.

One thing I would recommend is getting the (excellent) Philco factory documentation in addition to the Sams folder. I believe I bought my copy on eBay.

Have fun! I actually enjoyed restoring my Predictas, despite the occasional gripes.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html