Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 03, 2021 5:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Questions about Setchell Carlson colour set
PostPosted: Aug Sat 21, 2021 8:40 pm 

Hi, this is my first time posting! I have an antique television that I acquired a few years Ago. I'm not sure about the year but I've added a photo. I am about 90% sure it doesn't work and would love to make use of the box as a cabinet. Before I do so, I wanted to know whether it would be very valuable to a collector? If so are there any in Canada, specifically around Ottawa, that you know of? If not, how would I go about disassembling this set to remove the screen? Is it dangerous? Are there any tips, tricks, advice to be given? Any ideas or information is much appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Attachments:
20210821_134512.jpg
20210821_134512.jpg [ 492.33 KiB | Viewed 1023 times ]

Post subject: Re: Questions about Setchell Carlson colour set
PostPosted: Aug Sat 21, 2021 9:51 pm 

A photo of the inside

Attachments:
File comment: The insides!
20210821_164430.jpg
20210821_164430.jpg [ 915.47 KiB | Viewed 1019 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Sat 21, 2021 11:30 pm 

thats a rare set.
it belongs in the hands of a collector who will restore it.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 21, 2021 11:48 pm 

Its a Setchell Carlson (S-C) so I would NOT break it up for the cabinet ! PLEASE DONT !
S-C was one of the sets that had a build quality above most others. Not
many were made & most became "school" sets.
Find someone to take it or even pay for it to restore it. It looks in very nice condition.
I am sure quite a few here are drooling over it. Ottawa is a long ride from southern NH & I dont
have a visa anyways otherwise I would be tempted to snag it myself.
Bottom line is try to find someone that will keep it a TV & not turn it into a rabbit hutch !

73 Zeno 8)
LFOD !

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 12:37 am 

Thank you for the input! I'll try my best to get it into the hand sof a collector. Promise I won't rip it apart :P would it be worth making a more specific post here to find someone closer to me who would take it?

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 2:03 am 

Never seen a set like that! Notice the 5 separate "modules" on top of a base chassis? That is an interesting set!

PostPosted: Aug Sun 22, 2021 6:04 am 

If my sense of scale isn't off that set has a screen smaller than 23"... That effectively squares the rarity.
Mini consoles even from Zenith and RCA who effectively split %80 of the market in the tube TV era are almost as rare as a SC TV.
Most buyers got a big 23" console as that was the standard (pre-1968 in the US and always in Canada they sold them as 25") most of the rest of rectangular color sets sold were table top/portable (like cinder block) sets. Very few people bought mini-consoles, and like portables they were easier to talk someone into carrying to the curb when they broke so fewer survive than full size consoles.

Someone needs to save that.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 01, 2021 2:51 pm 

From the styling and type of CRT, I would date it to about 1966-68. Those are not common; I have never seen one, except in pictures.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 01, 2021 4:39 pm 

I wonder where the convergence adjustment panel is? It's not obvious in the picture. Possibly behind the front grill?

PostPosted: Sep Wed 01, 2021 5:43 pm 

To answer the OP's follow-up question, yeah you could probably get more of a response with a for-sale post, here and at VideoKarma. And to help set your expectations, while that is a rare and interesting set to a collector (primarily because of S-C's different approach to chassis design), it's not a very desirable cabinet style, and old consoles in general are not worth much - there are a few exceptions but this isn't one of them.

If it's a cool cabinet you're interested in, honestly you can likely find a local-ish collector who would be thrilled to swap a really desirable cabinet for that set.

One possible person to speak with is Paul Carlson of Mr. Carlson's Lab, who is I believe near you and also present here on this forum. I've only seen him restore old radios and instruments, but he's mentioned doing a TV several times and honestly this would be a doozy for him to get started with.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 01, 2021 6:03 pm 

SteveT wrote:
I wonder where the convergence adjustment panel is? It's not obvious in the picture. Possibly behind the front grill?

Convergence on those SC sets is on the front of the main chassis. Those 3 faux drawers below the CRT and speaker are almost certainly a removable panel to access it. There's probably some Philips screws underneath that hold it on.

alaninsitges wrote:
To answer the OP's follow-up question, yeah you could probably get more of a response with a for-sale post, here and at VideoKarma. And to help set your expectations, while that is a rare and interesting set to a collector (primarily because of S-C's different approach to chassis design), it's not a very desirable cabinet style, and old consoles in general are not worth much - there are a few exceptions but this isn't one of them.

If it's a cool cabinet you're interested in, honestly you can likely find a local-ish collector who would be thrilled to swap a really desirable cabinet for that set.

One possible person to speak with is Paul Carlson of Mr. Carlson's Lab, who is I believe near you and also present here on this forum. I've only seen him restore old radios and instruments, but he's mentioned doing a TV several times and honestly this would be a doozy for him to get started with.

I disagree. I drove 6 hours (to Minneapolis where it was made) to get my rectangular SC console (I think I paid $75 gladly), and I would have regardless of the cabinet style/condition.
These chassis don't easily interchange with cabinets of other brands due to the front convergence access requirements.
These sets may not bring $500 from crazed interior decorators, but if there's TV collectors within driving distance it could start a bidding war.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 02, 2021 4:20 pm 

Has chassis U806 so likely a 19GWP22 CRT. Service info in Sams 978-2. Nice and compact as far as consoles go. :)

PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 3:54 am 

I do not know if I am the closest. I am in Kitchener Ontario and it is about a 5 hour drive to Ottawa Ontario.

I am drooling over this set but it is impractical picking this up at the moment as we are planning to move.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 10:14 pm 

Penthode wrote:
I do not know if I am the closest. I am in Kitchener Ontario and it is about a 5 hour drive to Ottawa Ontario.

I am drooling over this set but it is impractical picking this up at the moment as we are planning to move.

I sent you a message! I am heading to southern Ontario in the next month or two, let's coordinate!

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 3:44 am 

Thanks. I will look forward sharing in this forum the resusitation of this set!

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 6:46 pm 

Glad it's going to a good home. That set is like seeing bigfoot riding nessy.

You're going to need 3-4 100uF 450V lyrics (the originals are axial so axials are easier to mount) and the doubler caps (I think they are 250uF 160V but don't quote me).
These are fun to recap because, besides the 100uF lytics on the "mother chassis" (which you can access by pulling 2-3 modules), you can recap it one small module at a time.