Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 26, 2021 7:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1940's 7" TVs & Philco Predictas
PostPosted: Aug Mon 30, 2021 11:42 pm 

I'm new to this site and thought I'd introduce myself in the hopes of becoming friends with others who share similar passions. I'm located in Clearwater, Florida.

I acquired my first vintage television in mid-June of this year and have since acquired the following:
Attachment:
File comment: I acquired all of these on a single day.
Bens Philco Predicta Collection.jpg
Bens Philco Predicta Collection.jpg [ 656.76 KiB | Viewed 996 times ]

Five Philco Predictas:
21" Holiday (works, but has weak CRT which has a booster attached and not recapped)
21" Pedestal (also known as barber pole or penguin) which is an empty shell both top and bottom
17" Debutante x3 (two of which work, but have not been recapped, one is missing its screen safety cover)
I do not turn them on since they have not been recapped yet.
I have also acquired a recapped chassis for the Pedestal, but am still on the lookout for a strong CRT.

I also have a collection of 1940's 7" sets:
Attachment:
File comment: Current collection of 7"ers, will looking for one more.
IMG_5862.jpg
IMG_5862.jpg [ 951.23 KiB | Viewed 996 times ]

1948 Admiral with grid-style grill
1948 Admiral with Chinese-style grill (recapped by previous owner)
1949 Motorola (recapped by previous owner)
1948 Hallicrafters T-54 with channel 1, (recapped by previous owner)

I'm still on the lookout for one more 7" TV... anything that is of a similar vintage, but looks stylistically different than what you see above.

I also started collecting radios back in April and have since acquired 22 vacuum tube radios:
Attachment:
File comment: All but four of my radios
IMG_D3FC85617344-1.jpeg
IMG_D3FC85617344-1.jpeg [ 405.68 KiB | Viewed 996 times ]

I'm also setting up a little lab to work on my sets, which still needs a few additions before it will be fully operational. It includes:
Heathkit TT-1 vacuum tube tester
B&K 466 CRT tester/rejuvenator
Sencore VA62 video analyzer
LeCroy 9400A dual 175Mhz Oscilloscope
Attachment:
File comment: The beginnings of my electronics lab
IMG_5897.jpg
IMG_5897.jpg [ 354 KiB | Viewed 996 times ]

Everything I've got was acquired locally (within 6 hour round trip drive) and none of it at Ebay prices.

As you can see I've become rather passionate about the hobby. I only just got started because I've only had a house for 2.5 years and previously lived for over a decade on a vintage bus where I didn't have any space for radios or TVs.

I'm also a photographer who specializes in shooting Americana and vintage design from the 1930's-1950's.

Clearwater, FL

Last edited by Pixelhead on Aug Tue 31, 2021 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 1940's 7" TVs & Philco Predictas
PostPosted: Aug Tue 31, 2021 2:41 am 

Welcome! Wonderful start to your collection. Beware, though -- this hobby is a dangerous one that tends to outgrow whatever space it takes root in. I personally have nearly 300 TV signal boosters and UHF converters (apparently the world's largest collection of such things), plus several dozen radios and TVs. I'm having a building constructed in the backyard to store and display them. Run away!

PostPosted: Aug Tue 31, 2021 11:05 am 

AJ2X wrote:
I personally have nearly 300 TV signal boosters and UHF converters (apparently the world's largest collection of such things).

I have one UHF converter.

Was planning to feature two of them along with my 7" sets, but maybe I should substitute a booster for one of them, so I have more to talk about when describing my collection. Perhaps an Electro-Voice 3400 or a ITI UHF AutoBooster. Although they might be a challenge to find locally (I refuse to pay ebay prices + shipping).

Here is a 3D rendering of where/how I plan to display them (shows the UHF I have twice, but would have two differing brands/models). I also don't own the bakelite Motorola shown... I'm still looking for a 5th 7" TV at the moment:
Attachment:
Vintage_TV_Collection.jpg
Vintage_TV_Collection.jpg [ 335.22 KiB | Viewed 946 times ]

The two Eames lounge chairs do not exist. They would be my ideal setup. I instead have a ratty-looking sofa in that location. Our modern big-screen TV and floor standing speakers are what is found on the opposite wall.

I originally started to collect radios to go in that area above the sofa, but a friend suggested vintage TVs (as somewhat of an acquisition challenge), which prompted my search for 7" sets. I put the radios I had acquired for that space into shelves in our guest room/home gym, which didn't quite fill the shelves, which prompted expanding the collection, which has since overflowed the shelves and expanded to other areas.

Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Aug Tue 31, 2021 8:13 pm 

Welcome to the forum!
I always like to see a persons location given. It helps understand what local resources are available like clubs.
You seems to be doing pretty good for someone that was recently living in a bus!
Here is a link to a website that has many restoration stories about radios and TVs, including what looks to be one of the Admirals you pictured (19A12 ?).
https://www.antiqueradio.org/restoration.htm
Standard advice is to cut your restoration teeth on radios before attempting TVs. One thing that cannot be bought is experience.
I would also suggest you leave the Predictas until later, (they are just extra hard to work on, besides you want to do the best work on them), and do others like the Admiral before.
That is an impressive array of test equipment for just beginning.
Is that a couple of Tektronix scopes I see?
One thing about vintage test equipment is that it usually needs to be re-capped and gone through (calibration checked) before it can be relied on. That also adds to your experience. Vintage test equipment is made from the same components as radios or TVs of the period.
Although the VA62 doesn't quite qualify as vintage yet, coming out in the 1980s, I am currently repairing one. The history of a particular item (radio, TV or test equipment) is unique, my VA62 has had some operator errors made (burned board) and also worked on in the past with less than complete success. I may post the story sometime after I'm done.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 31, 2021 9:15 pm 

You may have spied a Tektronix 549 and 581. I also have a HP 200CDR oscillator and matching 5512A counter as well as a few other pieces of vintage test equipment.

I acquired them from the guy I got my tube tester, variac and isolation transformer from. I paid less for the whole pile of gear than what the tube tester goes for in most venues.

Here's the stash I acquired all at once:
Attachment:
IMG_665D8F6AE7E0-1.jpeg
IMG_665D8F6AE7E0-1.jpeg [ 528.75 KiB | Viewed 890 times ]

I got the more modern scope from the same guy as one of the Admirals. He was actively using it for projects at the time it came into my possession, so I'll use it as my primary and I don't know if the Tektronix will ever be put to use since I'd rather spend my time recapping radios and TVs. It just might end up being eye candy in my electronics lab.

I plan to start recapping 2-3 radios before moving to the TVs. My wife really wants me to get the Predicta Pedestal that's in our living room to work. I just acquired a chassis for it that has already been recapped, but I need to source a strong 21" CRT.

Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Sep Wed 01, 2021 12:57 am 

If you keep this up you will give Mr. Carlson a run for his money.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU9SoQ ... _3GxeteQPA

As you may know, good short necked CRT used in Predictas are very hard to come by.
Many use a substitute and modify the CRT enclosure.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 01, 2021 6:20 am 

Yes, you are welcome here and this is the best & right place! :wink:

BUT, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE BEFORE NOT TO ENTER THIS FINE PLACE EARLIER? :mrgreen:

Regards,
SIXMILLION DOLLARMAN :wink:

PostPosted: Sep Wed 01, 2021 8:03 pm 

I think you need a vertical styled 7-inch TV to offset all your horizontal ones.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sentine ... US720US720

PostPosted: Sep Wed 01, 2021 11:24 pm 

I'd love to feature a vertically oriented set, but the area where I'll be displaying them is only 15" tall and from what I've seen, the vertical sets are more like 17-18" tall, so it simply won't fit.

Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 8:05 pm 

So what I suggest is a 12 step program before it becomes too late. :) :).

The Philco 50-701 in the Bakelite cabinet is a vertical 7" set but not too tall.

Are you going to restore these sets to working condition?

You need the ultimate RCA 621TS 7" set so you may as well adjust the shelf height.

Jim

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 9:16 pm 

I do like two-tone wood models. But the spot these will live is not a flexible measurement. You can see here that it's part of the sheetrock that masks up the walls/ceiling.
Attachment:
IMG_411F0C237211-1.jpeg
IMG_411F0C237211-1.jpeg [ 431.56 KiB | Viewed 446 times ]

If I had more space and a larger budget, then I'd love a 1948 Philco 48-1000 10" set.

Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 1:13 am 

Have you head of VideoKarma? It is another forum, one which specializes in television.
http://videokarma.org/index.php?s=cfe4e ... f7312af24e
A couple of years ago it seemed more active than it is now.
You have to log in to see most of the posted pictures.
When you first sign up you must have a non-free email address, but once registered you can change it to anything. That policy probably has to do with anti-spam.

I posted my VA62 Adventure there.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 11:54 am 

I'm on VideoKarma.
I haven't connected with that group all that much yet.

I'm sure I'll become a bit more regular there once I really get into restoring my TVs.

For now I'm ramping up to restore tube radios, which is why I'm spending more time here.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Clearwater, FL