Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 21, 2021 9:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA Victor Eyewitness Combo TV, Radio and Record Player
PostPosted: Sep Thu 02, 2021 10:33 pm 

I was hoping to get some input from individuals more well versed in TV/radio related antiques. This RCA Entertainment Console (TV Model 9-T-89) was left at one of the properties I recently purchased. I need to clean it up some, but it appears to be in pretty good shape. I haven't tried to plug it in and I don't think I am going to try. Any idea how much this might sale for?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated

Attachments:
Antique RCA Victor Eyewitness TV.jpg
Antique RCA Victor Eyewitness TV.jpg [ 329.3 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]
Antique RCA Victor Eyewitness TV - 2.jpg
Antique RCA Victor Eyewitness TV - 2.jpg [ 677.91 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]
Antique RCA Victor Eyewitness TV - 3.jpg
Antique RCA Victor Eyewitness TV - 3.jpg [ 675.85 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]

Post subject: Re: RCA Victor Eyewitness Combo TV, Radio and Record Player
PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 6:35 am 

Depends on if the CRT (picture tube) is good and where you're located.

If you're in a place with a glut of sets or few collectors it could have negative value (ie. garbage men won't take it and recycling centers will charge you ~$30 to dispose of it for you). If you live in a good market and the CRT tests good it might fetch $175 on a good day. These cost more than they're worth to ship so really your market is basically whoever is interested and within sane driving distance.

In a good market if the CRT is bad the value drops to $10-40 in parts. Those round metal cone CRTs are almost impossible to find replacements for.

These dual changer RCAs are cool sets. Basically in 1949 RCA rolled out the 45RPM record to the public as a replacement for the 78RPM record, but were in competition with the Columbia 33RPM LP. RCA didn't build a 3 speed changer till a few years after this console was made. They expected 33s and 78s to go obsolete so they included a separate 78/33 changer as an afterthought. They eventually realized that the 33 wasn't going away, but instead the LP.l and 45 would coexist with the LP dominating the classical and album (which in the 78rpm years was a book with multiple records in it) market and the 45 dominating the singles market.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 2:19 pm 

Heavy. It's a lot of work to bring those back to reliability. Where is the set located? Acquiring minds want to know. Craig

PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 5:54 pm 

That's right, location is very important.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 6:27 pm 

I live in the Jacksonville FL area. Any recommendations on who I could reach out to that might be interested in this type of antique?

PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 7:08 pm 

You could put it on your local Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace and see if there is any interest.

Since you have no way of knowing if the CRT is good, and 90% of them are bad, you should start out at a reasonable figure (well below $100) and be very willing to negotiate downward or even give it to anyone that shows interest in owning it.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 7:51 pm 

Restored21 wrote:
I live in the Jacksonville FL area. Any recommendations on who I could reach out to that might be interested in this type of antique?

The classifieds here and on videokarma.org are good places to find buyers, though on TVs I've had better luck on this Facebook group https://m.facebook.com/groups/327390051 ... 1104085408

A fair portion of Florida TV collectors attend FAWG the Florida Antique Wireless Group reaching out to them might help you find a buyer. http://www.clge.com/radiorelics/fawg.html
20 years ago when I lived in Florida there was a JARS Jacksonville Antique Radio Society, but I lived too far away to attend that and haven't kept track of their state of existence.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 1:36 am 

Its a 16GP4 set