Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 24, 2021 8:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fleetwood Cabinet Television
PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 11:47 pm 

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum, and I've already received some great help on my Sparton of Canada Model 99 radio.
I'm hoping someone might offer some insight on this television my boss is looking to sell. I can barely find any info on the manufacturer, and I can't ID the model, nor can I find a single image or photo of this TV.

Fleetwood Black and White Television
Wood cabinet with 'rolling' front doors

Apparently manufactured between 1950 and '59.
My boss thinks his family got it in '58 or '59

Attachments:
IMG_0100.JPG
IMG_0100.JPG [ 1.69 MiB | Viewed 650 times ]
IMG_0102.JPG
IMG_0102.JPG [ 1.55 MiB | Viewed 650 times ]
IMG_0104.JPG
IMG_0104.JPG [ 2.28 MiB | Viewed 650 times ]
IMG_0106.JPG
IMG_0106.JPG [ 1.69 MiB | Viewed 650 times ]
IMG_0109.JPG
IMG_0109.JPG [ 1.72 MiB | Viewed 650 times ]
IMG_0114.JPG
IMG_0114.JPG [ 1.72 MiB | Viewed 650 times ]

Post subject: Re: Fleetwood Cabinet Television
PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 2:32 am 

I seem to recall that "Fleetwood" was the name that Conrac (the maker of TV monitors) used for their few "consumer" products. When I was familiar with Conrac in the '70s they were located in West Covina, California.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 11:48 pm 

If the set came from Canada IIRC Canadian Fleetwood was a completely different unaffiliated company from American Fleetwood... Despite both making TVs.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 12:50 am 

Electronic Memory wrote:
If the set came from Canada IIRC Canadian Fleetwood was a completely different unaffiliated company from American Fleetwood... Despite both making TVs.

I think you're right, also the Conrac Fleetwood was a bare chassis, designed for building into walls or other custom installations, they could be got with remote tuners.

I have one from the early 50's, very well built, more like commercial gear than consumer. It still works (sorta) on it's original parts, including a zillion Bumblebee capacitors.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 3:39 am 

The Canadian Fleetwood TV construction quality was generally excellent. I have seen a few Fleetwoods of the 1960 period, and they were point to point wired to almost a military precision.

Would really like to see what the inside of your set looks like.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 12:07 am 

Penthode wrote:
The Canadian Fleetwood TV construction quality was generally excellent. I have seen a few Fleetwoods of the 1960 period, and they were point to point wired to almost a military precision.

Would really like to see what the inside of your set looks like.

Next time I'm at my employer's office I'll see if I can get some pics of the inside. There is a cover on the back of the TV, where those labels are pasted; if I can get it off without damaging it I'll get some photos.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 5:45 am 

Canadian Fleetwoods were made by a company called Electrical Products Manufacturing LTD. later changed to Electronic Industries Limited, out of Montreal. They used to make inexpensive AC/DC radios, often in surplus cabinets, then moved into TV sets, and later marketed Grundig chassis housed in domestic made cabinets, for radio-phono combo units. I don't think there was anything wrong with the chassis in any of their products, but the cabinets were kind of on the plain side, sometimes with wood grained masonite. I'm guessing that the TV chassis were probably a licensed copy of something produced by a larger company. They were kind of along the lines of Electrohome, but with cheaper cabinets, and I don't think the TVs are any more collectable then a Viking set from Eatons.
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 4:39 am 

I used to own a 1962 Fleetwood made TV branded Dumont. The build was not a clone of any other set I recall and the point th to point build quality was excellent. I would put it a class above RCA and other brands of the period and the performance was excellent. Would be interesting to see if the build quality of this set matches it.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 5:09 am 

Penthode wrote:
I used to own a 1962 Fleetwood made TV branded Dumont. The build was not a clone of any other set I recall and the point th to point build quality was excellent. I would put it a class above RCA and other brands of the period and the performance was excellent. Would be interesting to see if the build quality of this set matches it.

The original DuMont, made in New Jersey, was a top end brand in it's day, but around the mid 1950s they were bought out by Emerson, and stopped making distinctive sets shortly thereafter. I'm not sure what the story was with the rebranded Fleetwood you had. When it cam to the smaller companies point to point wired chassis seemed to linger on longer then they did with the big brands, there was a make on the West Coast called "Chisholm" and everything they made was point to point wired, right until they shut down in the mid 60s. I guess the tooling, and technology, needed to produce P.C boards required too much volume production to justify the costs, that and they had lots of problems with them at the time, especially with tube equipment. Apparently this was why Brand Z stuck with hand wired chassis right into the 1970s, they had so many problems with them in the early 50s that they swore them off.
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 11:36 am 

Hi, where you from? :D
There were TV sets sold under the Fleetwood brand in Australia, too.
Have no idea if it is the same manufacturer.
Just the ornament "High Fidelity" was common on Aussie sets.

The chassis, the back or the inner wall of the cabinet will tell us what it is
and where it came from!
Just search for the label/sticker.

Is the info how to assemble legs in dual language english/french?
My picture is not sharp.
If it is a canadian set and your boss likes to sell it, he can offer it to me.
I still have no vintage TVs from Canada.

Regards,
SIXMILLION DOLLARMAN :wink:

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 12:14 pm 

The brand "Fleetwood" in Australia was used by Philips. But that set is not one of them.

And YES! A lot of TVs had "High Fidelity" badges. I guess they were, compared to AM radio!

Some other badges that come to mind:

High Definition (Pye)

Deep Image (AWA)

PostPosted: Oct Sun 03, 2021 4:59 am 

Arran wrote:
Penthode wrote:

The original DuMont, made in New Jersey, was a top end brand in it's day, but around the mid 1950s they were bought out by Emerson, and stopped making distinctive sets shortly thereafter. I'm not sure what the story was with the rebranded Fleetwood you had. When it cam to the smaller companies point to point wired chassis seemed to linger on longer then they did with the big brands, there was a make on the West Coast called "Chisholm" and everything they made was point to point wired, right until they shut down in the mid 60s. I guess the tooling, and technology, needed to produce P.C boards required too much volume production to justify the costs, that and they had lots of problems with them at the time, especially with tube equipment. Apparently this was why Brand Z stuck with hand wired chassis right into the 1970s, they had so many problems with them in the early 50s that they swore them off.
Regards
Arran

This was in Canada. The Dumont name ceased in the US but continued in Canada.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 04, 2021 2:43 am 

Penthode wrote:
Arran wrote:
Penthode wrote:

Regards
Arran

This was in Canada. The Dumont name ceased in the US but continued in Canada.

Dumont didn't cease to exist in the US when Emerson bought them in 1953. The brand continued into atleast the early 70s.
Neither brand ceased to exist or remained unchanged from the merger. Before then Emerson chassis were a hot mess(layering components in a multi-layer rats nest that required desoldering several other things to change a cap, using 4 25Z5 tubes for a full wave bridge, etc), and Dumont chassis were over engineered and over built (imagine a mil-spec RCA 630 in 1952 and you'd get a dumont). After the merger they both used the same chassis and they became something on par with the current RCA and Zenith offerings). Dumonts post merger cabinets got less fancy but we're still more heavily trimmed and upscale than the Emerson equivalents.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 04, 2021 2:41 pm 

Emerson was trying to undercut RCA and Dumont on price. They did make an early 10 inch set, the 545, which had a power transformer, and was almost as expensive as the 630. They then came up with the 571, which was a cheaper design, and had five 25Z6 rectifiers in the power supply. I have one of those, and a few others here have them as well. The 545 is very rare; the price must have held sales down.