Peeling aquadag

Share collecting tips/ideas, discuss antique televisions and related items. Ads are not permitted.

Moderators: Mr. Detrola, 7jp4-guy

fineby
Jul Sat 23, 2022 11:07 pm
Coquitlam, B.C., Canada

Peeling aquadag

Post by fineby »

Hello, can advise help me? I have several early and mid 1950’s television sets where the outer “aquadag coating is peeling off the crt’s. I see there are other graphite paints available online but I am not sure if they are meant for this type of service. Are there any other alternatives? My understanding is this coating is meant for grounding the crt, is that it?
bandersen
May Fri 29, 2009 3:35 am
Chicago, IL USA

Re: Peeling aquadag

Post by bandersen »

Slip Plate. Readily available graphite spray works very well. This coating is grounded to form a filter capacitor for the HV anode supply.

https://www.grainger.com/product/1WVK7" -="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kevin Kuehn
Jan Thu 01, 1970 12:00 am
Barron WI

Post by Kevin Kuehn »

Alternatively you can add a HV filter equal of value to whatever the CRT type specified and forget the dag. 500pf seemed to be the most common with early 10BP4, 12LP4 types, and many did have separate caps redundant to the dag.
Scott
Jan Thu 01, 1970 12:00 am
Apex, NC 27523

Post by Scott »

I have used SlipPlate quite a few times. Excellent stuff. Just tape up where you don't want it, and you are done spraying in a few minutes. Makes the CRT look like new. Guess I could have done a better job on the circle :roll:
Attachments
IMG_6006.JPG
Notimetolooz
May Thu 14, 2015 3:15 pm
Dallas, TX

Post by Notimetolooz »

I have a couple of CRT that have peeling aquadag to do in the future. A certain vintage of RCA CRT seem
to have that problem.
I have read that the spray cans are prone to clogging after use. I would be sure to shake the can thoroughly and maybe do all the CRTs at the same time.
Tim
It's not the Destination, It's the Journey.
You must be register and login to post a reply.