Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 17, 2019 7:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Arvin 65R58 10 transistor mystery symptoms
PostPosted: Sep Wed 11, 2019 12:38 am 

xrhonda91 wrote:
Hey Dalton,

Spray the cleaner/lube into the wide gap in metal cover just above the volume control element and rotate knob stop to stop slowly. You'll probably have to flex the spray tube to get it in there. If you have an extra tube, you can carefully heat it near end and bend it for easier application. Will only take a very short spray so cleaner won't run all over area...

John

WOW!
Thank you so very much, this is exactly the information I need!
Will let you know how I do!
: )

PostPosted: Sep Wed 11, 2019 12:41 am 

electricboyo wrote:
RE: Contact and volume control cleaner spray:

For most items I use “Deoxit D5.” It’s mostly cleaner, with 5% high-grade low-viscosity lubricant.

The “fader” version of Deoxit contains a different lubricant which works better to preserve the silky smooth “feel” of linear slide controls, such as in recording studio mixing consoles.

At one time Deoxit had a motto on the can that said: “The less you use, the better it works.”
I believe that. I try to avoid “overspray” that lands outside of the control or switch I am cleaning. It helps to have a light and quick touch on the spray can valve. A long flexible extension tube is also quite useful to prevent excessive application.

-EB

Grateful for the helpful information, will be picking up a can on Amazon!

Great information!

PostPosted: Sep Wed 11, 2019 2:54 am 

xrhonda91 wrote:
Hey Dalton,

Spray the cleaner/lube into the wide gap in metal cover just above the volume control element and rotate knob stop to stop slowly. You'll probably have to flex the spray tube to get it in there. If you have an extra tube, you can carefully heat it near end and bend it for easier application. Will only take a very short spray so cleaner won't run all over area...

John

John,
I just followed your directions, sprayed a small squirt of cleaner into the gap as indicated, and no more sticking, cutting out or scratching!

Your help is much appreciated, and not only added to my enjoyment of this historic radio, but gave my confidence working on my radios a boost as well!

Thanks!

:D

PostPosted: Sep Wed 11, 2019 4:10 pm 

Glad it helped !

The main thing is to rotate control slowly stop to stop after application---used to do it quickly thinking it would help clean resistive surface and ruined a couple pots !

Would be best to get a cleaner and lube specifically designed for potentiometers---some regular contact cleaners will remove internal lubrication and possibly damage the resistive element. I use DeOxit Faderlube spray which will work just as well for rotary controls as it does for "sliders"... Found mine at Guitar Center---was best price years ago...

John

PostPosted: Sep Wed 11, 2019 9:44 pm 

xrhonda91 wrote:
Glad it helped !

The main thing is to rotate control slowly stop to stop after application---used to do it quickly thinking it would help clean resistive surface and ruined a couple pots !

Would be best to get a cleaner and lube specifically designed for potentiometers---some regular contact cleaners will remove internal lubrication and possibly damage the resistive element. I use DeOxit Faderlube spray which will work just as well for rotary controls as it does for "sliders"... Found mine at Guitar Center---was best price years ago...

John

Thanks, John!

Mission accepted!

:D

PostPosted: Sep Wed 11, 2019 9:51 pm 

xrhonda91 wrote:
Glad it helped! The main thing is to rotate control slowly stop to stop after application---used to do it quickly thinking it would help clean resistive surface and ruined a couple pots! Would be best to get a cleaner and lube specifically designed for potentiometers---some regular contact cleaners will remove internal lubrication and possibly damage the resistive element. I use DeOxit Faderlube spray which will work just as well for rotary controls as it does for "sliders"... Found mine at Guitar Center---was best price years ago...John
I haven't tried that fader-lube before, but I'm going to follow your advice and get some now. Deoxit-D5 sometimes removes the "smooth rotational feel" of old controls. I've never damaged a control with Deoxit-D5, however. And I've been using it for at least 35 years.

Does the fader lube, by itself, do an adequate job of cleaning?
Or do you apply it after using a "thinner" cleaner (like Deoxit-D5) to get the control working?

-EB

PostPosted: Sep Wed 11, 2019 11:15 pm 

EB,

Below is recent pic of the Faderlube spray that I'm speaking of. It is a thin, spray liquid which is designed to clean and lubricate resistive controls. I use it by itself. There is plenty of info available on-line...

John

Attachments:
faderlube.JPG
faderlube.JPG [ 114.57 KiB | Viewed 33 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 4:00 am 

xrhonda91 wrote:
EB, Below is recent pic of the Faderlube spray that I'm speaking of. It is a thin, spray liquid which is designed to clean and lubricate resistive controls. I use it by itself. There is plenty of info available on-line...
John
Thanks! I will order a can of that tomorrow.
-EB

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 68 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4