Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 17, 2019 7:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Panasonic RF2200 (DR22) questions
PostPosted: Sep Sun 08, 2019 6:26 am 

Hello folks, I'm brand new to the forum and very happy to be part of the community.

I recently acquired a beautiful RF-2200 in fantastic shape, however, there are some issues with the SW and AM bands. Out of the box it received well on AM and SW but suddenly it goes silent. When I switch the knob to AM and back to short wave you hear a crackle and I'll get reception again and then it just goes silent once again.

Taking the back off I saw some years of dust accumulation and blew it out and the capacitors (just by observation) were not bulged or leaking.

Can anyone suggest what the issue might be? I'd like to get it working like new and gift it to my father who has been wanting a vintage receiver like this for many years.

Post subject: Re: Panasonic RF2200 (DR22) questions
PostPosted: Sep Sun 08, 2019 4:53 pm 

See Jay Allen's detailed write-up on RF-2200 switch cleaning.
fyi... there are many De-Ox-It products - - don't get confused!
https://radiojayallen.com/panasonic-rf-2200-2/

IPA (Isopropyl alcohol) is available from...
viewtopic.php?p=3045485#p3045485

Take your time and work carefully (see Jay's warnings). Don't force anything and protect the front of the radio on a folded soft bath-towel.

Ask any question (or post a photo) if you are unsure.

Thanks to Dave, the service manual can be downloaded here...
viewtopic.php?p=2631694#p2631694

Welcome to the hood Jack... :)
Greg.

Posting photos to a forum thread...
The skinny: http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtop ... 0#p2717120

Contact cleaner is for oxidized metal on metal contacts...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_cleaner

PostPosted: Sep Wed 11, 2019 11:50 pm 

Thank you so much for the reply and the link.

Well, I found the culprit! It wasn't the switches for the FM/MW/SW but oddly enough it's the FM/AFC bandwidth switch along with the markers for the 125kHz and 500Khz points (the array found at the center of the unit).

So here is the curious thing. I found ANOTHER at Goodwill! Just got it home today. They said that it only worked on FM. This one had the IDENTICAL problem. Otherwise it's in perfect condition. I couldn't be happier!

I would like to remove the switch box itself but on the 500kHz marker switch it's spring loaded to the tuning control dial. And educated guess is that the switches have simply oxidized. I could just spray in some Deoxit product but I'd like to visually inspect it.

Seeing this is with two radios from different places, I'm guessing this must be a common issue with the Panasonic?

Anyone else run into this :?: I've seen the same swich array on other Panasonic shortwaves as well.

Otherwise I couldn't be more happy with my find. I'll do a total cleaning of both and maybe change out all the caps for argument's sake unless someone suggests I shouldn't bother. One radio is dated to what looks like 1978 and the other appears to be a 79.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 1:02 am 

The date of manufacture is stamped on the inside of the casing.
Shown here December 24 1977

I'm not familiar with your radio or switch!
As a teenager I used to take switches apart - - occasionally I was able to reassemble them... :)

For sealed pots (potentiometers) you can drill one or two small access holes... but you need to be real careful that you do not introduce metal or plastic swarf into the pot.

I moderately blast with a filtered airline - - flush with IPA (isopropyl alcohol) - - exercise pot - - blast again.
Wear eye protection.

Greg.
oh... I have many working transistor radios from the late 1950s - early 1960s that have never be recapped.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 1:13 am 

Did you read Jay's article that I linked to above?
He gives instructions on how to clean the front panel switches. lol

Greg.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 2:28 am 

I use the 100% solution DeoxIT in the needle-dropper bottle on Panasonic and Sony switches. I did it 14 years ago on all of my 2200 and 4900 switches and they've been fine ever since. On the band switches, you need to wait 3 days before reception performance returns to normal.

Dave

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 7:12 am 

egg wrote:
Did you read Jay's article that I linked to above?
He gives instructions on how to clean the front panel switches. lol

Greg.

I did! I actually used it after I posted my second story on the second radio. It was good but a couple things he left out that needed to be noted. I wanted to remove the center levers, which I did. But the write up was a wonderful help.

By this weekend I'll probably make a video on the disassembly of the radio with some still images. Surprisingly, there are none that I could find on YouTube. I saw a couple where they took the back off to show the variable capacitor but that's about it. One, oddly enough, was a guy dressed in a furry head. Called himself Jack Frost. That was just, awkward.