Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 19, 2019 1:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Rough one-dollar Channel Master 6510 project...
PostPosted: Oct Mon 07, 2019 5:15 pm 

Hello All,

Been a long while since last radio purchase as there are only a couple left I'm searching for...

Was at the Richmond, IN radio club meet Saturday morning and saw this rough & dirty Channel Master 6510 at a vendor for $5. Wasn't on "list", so passed it by even though I've been curious on how well these sets worked (especially the 6520) as I'd never seen one in person. Was disappointed on how few transistor sets were there and "made the rounds" several times as new sellers arrived. The seller had moved this radio to front of his table and I kept an eye on it as time went by. Finally the "bug bit" and stopped by to look at it once again and seller offered it to me for a dollar ! Just couldn't refuse that offer and got it !

As usual, wanted to see how it worked, so pulled battery cover and discovered that the compartment was clean and battery tube was still present ! Installed batteries and was amazed on how well it performed and sounded, though volume control a bit scratchy and it had some oscillations between stations probably due to bad electrolytic cap(s)---now glad I got the poor thing ! Pulled back of cabinet last night and all looked good & original, just a large accumulation of "dust wads" from years of use...

Front panel has chips and cracks around edges and cabinet has been melted somewhat on top right side, but handle is good and front looks like it'll clean up well.

Sure looking forward to see how it works once those "infamous" plastic-bodied electrolytics are replaced !

"As purchased" pic below...

John

Attachments:
ARF DOLLAR 6510 10-5-19.jpg
ARF DOLLAR 6510 10-5-19.jpg [ 331.2 KiB | Viewed 606 times ]

Post subject: Re: Rough one-dollar Channel Master 6510 project...
PostPosted: Oct Mon 07, 2019 5:49 pm 

I believe those were made in South Korea in the late 60s-early 70s, in the early days of South Korea's industrialized era. I have a radio labeled "Mamiye" that is also BC only, except it has a knob for the middle tone selector instead of a toggle switch. Mine is labeled "kHz" instead of "kc" as yours is. I recently saw a Channel Master at a garage sale that looked almost exactly like yours, and it was obviously a clone of my Mamiye. Once you get the back off you may be startled at how primitive the build quality is. The on/vol pot on my radio is pretty much shot and only holds a station for a short time-less than a minute-before losing contact. The sensitivity leaves a lot to be desired as well-only a few of the strongest local stations for mine. I also got mine for $1, at an estate sale in a rundown suburb of 1960s tract homes. The owner had used it to listen to religious broadcasts-her home was full of Christian religious icons-and when the on/vol pot finally died she stuffed it in a closet. I should get mine out and put up a few pics.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 07, 2019 6:12 pm 

BakeliteManCA wrote:
I believe those were made in South Korea in the late 60s-early 70s, in the early days of South Korea's industrialized era. I have a radio labeled "Mamiye" that is also BC only, except it has a knob for the middle tone selector instead of a toggle switch. Mine is labeled "kHz" instead of "kc" as yours is. I recently saw a Channel Master at a garage sale that looked almost exactly like yours, and it was obviously a clone of my Mamiye. Once you get the back off you may be startled at how primitive the build quality is. The on/vol pot on my radio is pretty much shot and only holds a station for a short time-less than a minute-before losing contact. The sensitivity leaves a lot to be desired as well-only a few of the strongest local stations for mine. I also got mine for $1, at an estate sale in a rundown suburb of 1960s tract homes. The owner had used it to listen to religious broadcasts-her home was full of Christian religious icons-and when the on/vol pot finally died she stuffed it in a closet. I should get mine out and put up a few pics.

I have one of those, and it's a very good performer with excellent sound. The volume control pot was bad in mine, too, and every other similar Channel Master radio - there is a larger version with a much bigger speaker. My larger version has a very severe microphonics issue that I have been unable to correct, so it sits in storage.

Brett

PostPosted: Oct Mon 07, 2019 6:29 pm 

BakeliteManCA---This is made by Sanyo in Japan and is a pretty well made set with air-variable tuning cap and large 1W speaker. I know the sets you are speaking of as I also have a Kitco "Super Silicon Solid-State" which is from Korea and cheaply made though it has neat outward appearance.

Brett---wonder if those microphonics are from an internal IFT cap contact issue ?

John

PostPosted: Oct Mon 07, 2019 7:49 pm 

John, good one for the money. I have the 6520 version with TRF stage. Good performer. Ken

PostPosted: Oct Mon 07, 2019 8:56 pm 

Thanks Ken---as good as this one performs & sounds with original caps, can't imagine how much better the 6520 would be ! Gonna add that one to my list...

John

PostPosted: Oct Mon 07, 2019 8:59 pm 

xrhonda91 wrote:
BakeliteManCA---This is made by Sanyo in Japan and is a pretty well made set with air-variable tuning cap and large 1W speaker. I know the sets you are speaking of as I also have a Kitco "Super Silicon Solid-State" which is from Korea and cheaply made though it has neat outward appearance.

Brett---wonder if those microphonics are from an internal IFT cap contact issue ?

John

Hm, it's possible that the Korean sets are knockoffs of the Sanyo sets, at least in appearance. It is also obvious that your set is older than mine since "cycles" nomenclature had largely been replaced with "Hertz" by the beginning of the 70s.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 07, 2019 10:22 pm 

Couldn't get much cheaper than that. Nice buy.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2019 3:29 am 

My Channel Master 6506 and 6515 radios were made by Sanyo in Japan. Both are good radios. Look forward to your restoration of the 6510.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 4:57 am 

Got it completed tonight and it's an excellent performer all across band---but audio a bit too "bassy" even in "HI" tone position (and really "muddy" in "LO"). Noticed C7 (green plastic electrolytic at far right of PCB) was 100 uF and the SAMS schematic and parts list call for 30 uF ! I installed a 100 uF since that was original value... It's the emitter bypass cap on the audio driver transistor and am thinking this may be causing the problem. Does anyone else who has one of these remember what value was in theirs ???

Report and project pics are on the way when time allows...

John

Attachments:
ARF 6510 PCB TOP BEFORE.jpg
ARF 6510 PCB TOP BEFORE.jpg [ 298.62 KiB | Viewed 384 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 7:07 pm 

Hello All,

As mentioned in previous post, completed this radio yesterday...

Took a LOT of scrubbing on the front grille to remove the greasy dirt and what looked like food residue. Went over it many times with toothbrush and dishwashing liquid solution and then "spot-cleaned" remaining crud in areas when dry with toothbrush and Windex. Also took much polishing with Novus-2 to bring out a shine on cabinet after cleaning. Carefully went over gold anodized aluminum trim panels with Mother's California Gold carnauba wax with mild cleaner which did very well.

Replaced all seven electrolytics and was planning to replace the volume control due to reports that they are frequently bad, but since it seemed fairly good initially tried a couple good doses of DeOxit Faderlube spray and slowly rotated shaft from stop to stop leaving at "max" end until solvent dry. Seems to work perfectly now with no noise !

The large 5" speaker is impressive and really pumps out the sound---just need to get the tone quality problem solved...

Minor detail to some, but was impressed by the tiny springs on handle brackets which seem to act as bushings for easier handle "up & down" action---see pic below...

Was fortunately able to "snap" the broken section of plastic at right side of upper panel lip back into proper position by gently flexing top edge---no easy way to glue without possibility of a mess, so leaving as is...

Have made absolutely no adjustments yet and radio performance very good as it is, but will "tweak" the ANT trimmer when back inside to "play" with the audio issue. Hope to find someone who remembers about the emitter cap value on audio driver transistor before I pull chassis again...

Does the audio seem a little too "bassy" to others when in "HI" tone setting ???

Project pics below...

John

Attachments:
ARF 6510 HNDL BRKT SPRNG DETAIL.jpg
ARF 6510 HNDL BRKT SPRNG DETAIL.jpg [ 226.52 KiB | Viewed 358 times ]
ARF 6510 PRTS CLN.jpg
ARF 6510 PRTS CLN.jpg [ 216.48 KiB | Viewed 358 times ]
ARF 6510 SPKR FRT CLN - OLD CAPS.jpg
ARF 6510 SPKR FRT CLN - OLD CAPS.jpg [ 311.19 KiB | Viewed 358 times ]
ARF 6510 CHS CMPLT BOT.jpg
ARF 6510 CHS CMPLT BOT.jpg [ 391.79 KiB | Viewed 358 times ]
ARF 6510 CHS CMPLT TOP.jpg
ARF 6510 CHS CMPLT TOP.jpg [ 377.44 KiB | Viewed 358 times ]
ARF 6510 CAB SECTIONS CLN.jpg
ARF 6510 CAB SECTIONS CLN.jpg [ 244.21 KiB | Viewed 358 times ]
ARF 6510 GOIN TGTHR.jpg
ARF 6510 GOIN TGTHR.jpg [ 365.49 KiB | Viewed 358 times ]
ARF 6510 CMPLT BK.jpg
ARF 6510 CMPLT BK.jpg [ 247.18 KiB | Viewed 358 times ]
ARF 6510 CMPLT FRT.jpg
ARF 6510 CMPLT FRT.jpg [ 309.12 KiB | Viewed 358 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 7:53 pm 

Great project at a great price!

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 8:12 pm 

WOW!! Is that even the same radio? You can work miracles even with something that starts out looking really rough. Amazing result.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 8:31 pm 

Your work is always amazing!

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 8:42 pm 

Thanks very much, Guys !

Just takes a lot of time, patience, and "elbow grease"---along with a ring-lite magnifier...

John

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 9:52 pm 

Looks excellent. Great work, as always.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 11, 2019 12:36 am 

Thanks much, Colin !

John

PostPosted: Oct Fri 11, 2019 1:11 am 

Love it! How I'd the reception? Lol at that antenna!

PostPosted: Oct Fri 11, 2019 2:15 am 

Thanks N4NYY---the reception is very good as it is with no adjustments made so far ! And they even provided a jack for external antenna which I haven't tried yet...

John

PostPosted: Oct Fri 11, 2019 10:04 pm 

Excellent restoration. When I was growing up, a 6510 in exactly that color was my Mom’s kitchen radio. In the mornings, I often awoke to hear it playing WCCO AM. It was eventually replaced, but Mom kept it around for old time’s sake.

Fast forward a few decades, and I am collecting and restoring radios. I happened to find another 6510 just like it. When I mentioned that to her, she said she’d love to get her original set working again. After a little TLC on my workbench, it came back to life, and she enjoyed it for years more. It’s still a great sounding radio. And now we each have one!

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil’s Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 27 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page 1, 2  Next