Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Mon 10, 2021 10:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: GE NO-7-2990A tuning "bump"
PostPosted: Jul Thu 30, 2015 1:46 am 

Hi Folks, my name is Matt and I am in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I bought a GE NO-7-2990A at auction, mainly because it looks cools and reminds me of the shortwave set that I had as a kid. This radio features the cracked gear in the tuning mechanism which creates the "bump" which is annoying but it still tunes. Otherwise it is very clean.

Apparently there is a fix for the issue, does anybody here know how to apply this fix?

At the same auction I also picked up a KLH-82 tabletop FM receiver. This is a sweet radio! It's replaced the Philco on my side table for now.

Thanks,
Matt

Post subject: Re: GE NO-7-2990A tuning "bump"
PostPosted: Jul Fri 31, 2015 3:54 am 

What if you use Crazy Glue to fix the gear?

PostPosted: Jul Fri 31, 2015 5:42 pm 

DO NOT USE CRAZY GLUE!!!

I have a detailed procedure to fix this problem. I have repaired 20+ radios with this problem and had 100% success. PM me your e-mail address and I will send you a scan of the procedure. Its very detailed.
Regards, Bob

PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2017 4:55 pm 

I came across one with the same issue, could you send me the instructions for the fix too?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2017 6:20 pm 

I still have the procedure if you want to PM me with your e-mail address. Its to comprehensive to post.
Bob

PostPosted: Sep Thu 27, 2018 7:37 pm 

Bob I sure could use those instructions too. I got a good price on one but I expected it to have the tuning issue and - yeah, it does.

I can't see any way to PM you as requested - it looks like you have all your communication options for PM's, email etc. disabled. :cry: If you go to my profile you can access my email address though.

Rick

ETA: And... post the message and Bob's PM button reappears. Nevermind.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 28, 2018 12:28 am 

My PM works.......I had two today!!
Bob

PostPosted: Feb Fri 22, 2019 11:21 pm 

I took the radio apart and saw the little gear has one tooth broken off and cracked. Is the gear reusable? If not where is the best place to get a replacement that's closest to the spec?

Kevin

PostPosted: Feb Sat 23, 2019 1:16 am 

If a tooth is broken off, I know of no way to fix that. If the gear is just split due to the excessive press fit stress then it can be reused. I know of no source for a replacement gear or anything close that will allow the tuning to work properly.
Good Luck!!

PostPosted: Feb Sun 24, 2019 2:50 am 

Thanks for the great repair guide, Bob!

With a missing tooth, I managed to put the cracked gear together around the copper shaft with JB weld epoxy. It sort of worked (bumping along the way due to a missing tooth) but at least moves the dial left and right. However, it does not reach to the end of the dial in each direction (e.g. FM 89.7 and 107.4 are the farthest it will go). But I think that covers more than 90% of the frequencies and I'm happy that the radio goes back to work again!

Kevin

PostPosted: Feb Mon 24, 2020 5:01 am 

Hi there. I recently inherited a GE shortwave radio 7-2990A that has the dial gear detents. Saw you said you had a fix for them. Still have the instructions? You said it's a 100% fix, and I like them odds!

Thanks ever so much.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 25, 2020 6:19 pm 

Hey to everyone who has this small gear issue:

I have it too. If someone can get me the specs on the gear itself that's broken, I'll make a file that you can take to your public library and have them print a 3D gear as a replacement. My library charges 15 cents per gram for this. This is a super cheap, exact replica fix: exactly what 3D printing was made for. My gear is in pieces so I cannot get those measurements. Who's got a decent one they can measure from (and maybe send me some pics as well?)

-greg

PostPosted: Jan Sat 30, 2021 7:09 pm 

I have a GE General Electric Model 7-2990A Portable 6 Band AM/FM Shortwave Radio that I have owned for 30 plus years. It also has a tuner gear issue. Is there a procedure to properly dismantle he tuning gear assembly to attempt a fix? thomephan

PostPosted: May Tue 04, 2021 8:39 am 

Hello everyone. I hope this thread isn't too old to post my questions. I just picked up a nice working GE 2990a on eBay. All the bands work and the set lights up. It has the annoying tuning bump symptom of a broken gear.

I would like to fix this by printing the gear on my sons 3d printer or just make one out of brass. If I'm sucessful I will post the results. I could use some help and advice so I don't mess anything else up.
A repair guide would be very useful. Could someone send me a email with file of this repair guide.
I just downloaded the service manual from UK Mods and I am looking forward to working on this set.