Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sat 31, 2021 3:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about Regency TR-1
PostPosted: May Mon 31, 2021 12:32 am 

here's a question for tr-1 owners;
while looking back at a few old threads I noticed the TR-1 runs on a 21 and 1/2 volt battery. 'course I already knew this but wondered how a radio could run on that much power as the transistors max out at 18 volts, right? I never really though about it, does it have a special type of transistor?

Henry

Last edited by whfh99 on May Mon 31, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Got Transistor Radio Collections? New Finds? Let's See
PostPosted: May Mon 31, 2021 4:48 am 

whfh99 wrote:
here's a question for tr-1 owners;
while looking back at a few old threads I noticed the TR-1 runs on a 21 and 1/2 volt battery. 'course I already knew this but wondered how a radio could run on that much power as the transistors max out at 18 volts, right? I never really though about it, does it have a special type of transistor?

You ask good questions, Henry. I never really thought about that, as it's never come up here.

First however, lets get the battery voltage correct; they were not "21 and 1/2 volt", but rather 22-1/2 volt cells (which is one half of the old standard 45 volt radio batteries), and designed to be used in the pocket size tube hearing aids of the time. There were no nine volt "Transistor batteries" yet, so these were the closest in size and power that were available.

The schematic for the TR-1 displays that the collectors of each Transistor did indeed carry 21 volts. Regency used house numbers; 100-626, 100-628, and 100-767. These cross to GE 2N169, which crosses to ECG 101. Both the collector-emitter, and base-emitter voltages max at 20, so 21 is well within the 15% normal tolerance level.

BTW, I use two 12 volt miniature 23A batteries wired in series to power some of my sets. The extra few volts are still within tolerance. Here's a scan of one of my TR-1G's. For authenticity, I left the original capacitors in place, and wired new ones underneath the board.

Attachments:
TR-1G inside.jpg
TR-1G inside.jpg [ 315.59 KiB | Viewed 1228 times ]

Post subject: Re: Question about Regency TR-1
PostPosted: May Mon 31, 2021 8:39 pm 

thanks for the info, I meant to post this question when you were showing your regency's on the "new finds and collection" page. but must have been half asleep. lol
I have been starting to collect transistors out of junk radios, or sales off eBay. currently, I have some GE's, RCA's t. Is, Sylvania's, etc.. but hope to get some experimental Raytheon's soon.
along with the transistors that came in this set, collecting transistors is loads of fun I am also working n making a wooden case for them. will post the collection soon.

though at the moment I don't have a big enough wallet for a regency, I hope to find one cheap at a flea market or something. it will be worth the wait.

thanks,
henry

PostPosted: Jun Tue 01, 2021 1:02 pm 

You did post in the "Finds" section but it was removed and became its own thread. The Finds thread is for pictures of finds and collections. Questions and discussions about radios should be posted as separate topics.

Glad you're having fun with your collection. :D

Dave

PostPosted: Jun Tue 01, 2021 9:14 pm 

Regency TR-1 assembly-line video and oral history.
viewtopic.php?p=3019872#p3019872

An mp3 audio clip is contained within in the latter half of the Richard Koch interview.

Greg.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 01, 2021 10:01 pm 

sorry about that dave, must have been looking at member's collections and just posted there.

like the video Greg, I wonder if anyone there knew people would be selling and restoring these decades later. :D

those are texas instruments transistors, correct?

henry

PostPosted: Jun Tue 01, 2021 10:19 pm 

Yup... hand-picked in sets of four...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regency_TR-1

Listen to the recording (mentioned above) by Richard Koch to hear about the trials and tribulations of production of the Regency TR-1

here it is again...
Richard Koch, an oral history conducted in 1984 by Michael Wolff, IEEE History Center, Hoboken, NJ, USA.
https://ethw.org/Oral-History:Richard_Koch

Richard Koch was the engineer at Regency Electronics who headed the design of the first transistorized radio, the TR-1, introduced in 1954

Attachments:
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png [ 41.39 KiB | Viewed 1082 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Tue 01, 2021 10:47 pm 

Greg---where are you finding the audio files ??? Have read this interview, but noticed no mp3's...

John

PostPosted: Jun Tue 01, 2021 10:53 pm 

same here, I just read it though...
understand this came in a couple of different colors, is mahogany the rarest?

Henry

PostPosted: Jun Wed 02, 2021 12:07 am 

The audio content is shorter than I remember John.
https://ethw.org/w/images/3/31/460_-_koch_-_clip_1.mp3

Must be getting old. lol
Greg.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 02, 2021 6:31 am 

whfh99 wrote:

Henry

No, the pearlescent colors are. Mottled Mahogany and Forest Green are the runners up.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 02, 2021 6:02 pm 

fifties wrote:
whfh99 wrote:

Henry

No, the pearlescent colors are. Mottled Mahogany and Forest Green are the runners up.

The see through chassis according to online info was done for marketing purposes. I've also read these chassis (and others) were used in prisons. Maybe someone knows about this?

Attachments:
images (28).jpeg
images (28).jpeg [ 46.58 KiB | Viewed 1025 times ]
f6f6a1e0817a86e20a7ce253b699a79f.jpg
f6f6a1e0817a86e20a7ce253b699a79f.jpg [ 643.54 KiB | Viewed 1025 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Wed 02, 2021 8:30 pm 

Gorgeous radios!
Betcha they made some see thru so kids could say "look mum, no tubes!" :lol:

PostPosted: Jun Wed 02, 2021 10:50 pm 

I very much doubt that clear case electronics was "a thing" back in the 1960s

Here's a SONY prison radio and a CRT television with a built-in digital tuner!
Be warned, if you purchase any of these clear case (bona fide prison) devices on eBay with an installed speaker, the volume will be permanently set at Minimum. lol

Attachments:
CRT sing-sing.jpg
CRT sing-sing.jpg [ 238.88 KiB | Viewed 998 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Thu 03, 2021 12:47 am 

They sure didn't use the clear-cased mid-fifties TR-1's as "prison radios" !!!

Here are a couple pics of an old friend's clear-cased set he has/had on display at the Indiana State Museum---I've seen and handled this radio. He's a "Regency nut" and has quite a collection of their products. He's also done research and has spoken with some of the Regency guys or family members years ago when they were still living... Regency was only around 15 miles from here back then.

John

Attachments:
clear regency frt.jpg
clear regency frt.jpg [ 138.35 KiB | Viewed 986 times ]
clear regency rear.jpg
clear regency rear.jpg [ 112.63 KiB | Viewed 986 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Thu 03, 2021 1:09 am 

Wow 15 miles! Wonder if the building is still up, pretty sure regency's last sales were CB radios, in the 70s.
I don't think any radios were ever made in my state, though would collect them if so!

Henry

PostPosted: Jun Thu 03, 2021 1:45 am 

Thanks for the info. I like the Sony, but if you can't turn the volume up not much sense in buying one. :cry:

PostPosted: Jun Mon 21, 2021 7:25 pm 

[attachment=0]
egg wrote:
Yup... hand-picked in sets of four...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regency_TR-1

Listen to the recording (mentioned above) by Richard Koch to hear about the trials and tribulations of production of the Regency TR-1

here it is again...
Richard Koch, an oral history conducted in 1984 by Michael Wolff, IEEE History Center, Hoboken, NJ, USA.
https://ethw.org/Oral-History:Richard_Koch

Richard Koch was the engineer at Regency Electronics who headed the design of the first transistorized radio, the TR-1, introduced in 1954

The TR-1 was designed and developed at Texas Instruments in Dallas Texas. After it was designed Regency took over the production of the unit. The project engineer at TI on the TR-1 was Paul Davis. I knew Paul Davis when we were both members of the Vintage Radio & Phonograph Society of Dallas, Texas. He gave a talk on the design and development of the TR-1 at one of the club meetings and he displayed the prototype unit. He talked about how they had trouble finding parts small enough for a pocket size transistor radio. They used a tuning capacitor from a tube type portable battery set, had to wind their own IF transformers and so forth.
Attached is a letter he sent to me along with documentation on the development of the transistor. If I can get the documentation scanned I may post that too. It is interesting reading.
[attachment=0]RegencyTR-1.jpg

Attachments:
RegencyTR-1.jpg
RegencyTR-1.jpg [ 664.17 KiB | Viewed 659 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Tue 22, 2021 12:24 am 

Neat! I would sure enjoy reading if possible sometime.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 22, 2021 6:02 am 

Bill Harris wrote:
The TR-1 was designed and developed at Texas Instruments in Dallas Texas. After it was designed Regency took over the production of the unit. The project engineer at TI on the TR-1 was Paul Davis. I knew Paul Davis when we were both members of the Vintage Radio & Phonograph Society of Dallas, Texas. He gave a talk on the design and development of the TR-1 at one of the club meetings and he displayed the prototype unit. He talked about how they had trouble finding parts small enough for a pocket size transistor radio. They used a tuning capacitor from a tube type portable battery set, had to wind their own IF transformers and so forth.
Attached is a letter he sent to me along with documentation on the development of the transistor. If I can get the documentation scanned I may post that too. It is interesting reading.

The Paul Davis article, published in "The Southwestern Historical Quarterly" can be read in its entirety here:

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531 ... 154/m1/84/

Classic tale of engineering teamwork on cutting-edge tech. An excellent read.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 24 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page 1, 2  Next