Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 26, 2021 12:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Superadio Question
PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 12:48 am 

I picked up a Superadio II in excellent cosmetic shape, however the pots will need to be cleaned and the tuning knob seems quite wobbly/loose, anyone else have this issue or know the possible cause of a loose knob ?

Also doesn't the Superadio II have a dial light ? My dial does not light up at all.

I plan to tear it open soon to clean the pots and see what the issue is with the tuning knob shaft.

Post subject: Re: Another Superadio Question
PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 1:09 am 

Most battery radios with dial lights have a momentary contact switch to depress. If you find one, let us know... :wink:

No, no dial light. You'll have to open it up to see what the tuner issue is. Be very careful when disassembling, so you don't mess up the on/off switch wiring.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 1:42 am 

fifties wrote:
Most battery radios with dial lights have a momentary contact switch to depress. If you find one, let us know... :wink:

No, no dial light. You'll have to open it up to see what the tuner issue is. Be very careful when disassembling, so you don't mess up the on/off switch wiring.

Thanks for that info...one less thing to worry about fixing. :) I've successfully opened a Ruperadio III so hopefully it isn't much different in regards to the power switch.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 2:08 am 

As Richard says…
The power switch is fragile, and a real bear to fix if you break it, so be VERY careful here.
An added momentary switch + dial-lamp modification is also discussed here…
http://www.davidmoisan.org/radio/supera ... app_A.html

Google…
momentary push switch - - or - - tactile switch

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 2:24 am 

egg wrote:
http://www.davidmoisan.org/radio/superadio/gesr_app_A.html

Thanks egg, lots of great info there

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 2:34 am 

The knobs on my SRII were very tight. In the process of removing one of the tone control knobs, I cracked the resistive element.

Some choice words were uttered.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 2:46 am 

Gosh darn?

:) Greg.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 3:00 am 

Mikeybc wrote:
. . . and the tuning knob seems quite wobbly/loose, anyone else have this issue or know the possible cause of a loose knob ? .

Take a look at this thread: https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=314938&hilit=+superadio

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 6:19 am 

Hondo wrote:
Mikeybc wrote:
. . . and the tuning knob seems quite wobbly/loose, anyone else have this issue or know the possible cause of a loose knob ? .

Take a look at this thread: https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=314938&hilit=+superadio

Thanks for the link My searches never revealed that thread. That clear tube idea looks like a good option if i don't see anything wrong inside, i did pull the knob off and its the shaft itself that seems to have all the play. Other than that it tunes well and the AM dial is pretty accurate except for around the 1030 area. WBZ is closer to 1010/1020 where wLW 700 is dead on.

As for contact cleaner on the controls, are they sealed or is there somewhere to spray it inside the control ? Or let it simply run down the shaft with the radio lying on its back ?

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 12:40 pm 

Mikeybc wrote:
Hondo wrote:
Mikeybc wrote:

Thanks for the link My searches never revealed that thread. That clear tube idea looks like a good option if i don't see anything wrong inside, i did pull the knob off and its the shaft itself that seems to have all the play. Other than that it tunes well and the AM dial is pretty accurate except for around the 1030 area. WBZ is closer to 1010/1020 where wLW 700 is dead on.

As for contact cleaner on the controls, are they sealed or is there somewhere to spray it inside the control ? Or let it simply run down the shaft with the radio lying on its back ?

You could try this method. If the noisy controls are the only issue, you might be able to avoid opening up the radio. Contact cleaners seem to work there way into even the smallest openings so this could work. Rotate the control back and forth after applying the cleaner.

After allowing it to dry, try the control and see if it operates quietly. If the noisy operation is gone, you were successful. Try not to apply any more cleaner than necessary.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 11:03 pm 

processhead wrote:
After allowing it to dry, try the control and see if it operates quietly. If the noisy operation is gone, you were successful. Try not to apply any more cleaner than necessary.

Thanks, I'll be looking at it more closely tomorrow.

Here's a before pic of radio

Attachments:
E9A86D6B-AC41-4392-B854-EE3804866665.jpeg
E9A86D6B-AC41-4392-B854-EE3804866665.jpeg [ 406.42 KiB | Viewed 590 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 11:44 pm 

Ok, I pulled radio apart, contact cleaner worked very good on the controls, they now work like new.

I removed the grill it and gave it a couple light coats of black satin paint, cleaned the black plastic and chrome under it, cleaned the woofer and tweeter dust caps. The Superadio badge came right off after scraping off the glue on the backside then pulling on it with a piece of masking tape.

Attachment:
E185D424-64DE-447D-857E-0944DF272832.jpeg
E185D424-64DE-447D-857E-0944DF272832.jpeg [ 1.07 MiB | Viewed 589 times ]

The tuning knob wobble seems to be in its design. It's a one piece plastic shaft that is split on the backside and clips into a plastic tube.

backside of knob where it clips onto tube pictured below

Attachment:
1FDB95C7-A40F-44A5-8CDD-EE8FFC01F7A0.jpeg
1FDB95C7-A40F-44A5-8CDD-EE8FFC01F7A0.jpeg [ 582.96 KiB | Viewed 589 times ]

Finished ! Thanks for all the input.

Attachment:
A5F159B0-3CED-451E-977A-541573C7A37E.jpeg
A5F159B0-3CED-451E-977A-541573C7A37E.jpeg [ 958.67 KiB | Viewed 589 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 12:38 am 

Great job---looks excellent !

John

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 3:58 am 

^ Agreed! You are now a radio restorer (or something like that). :wink:

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 6:27 pm 

Yup, my SRII has tuning knob wobble also, must be the design.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 8:16 pm 

1988bluebird wrote:
Yup, my SRII has tuning knob wobble also, must be the design.

I don't think so.
I have owned an SR1, SR3, and still have my two SR2's, and none of them had any problem with tuner knob wobble. I have also been to several SR2 specific sites and have seen nary a complaint in this regard.

I would chalk up the malady to rough handling by the previous owner.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 5:57 am 

The only thing I can think of causing the wobble is that the shaft is cracked where it splits inside the tube that holds it, or it's been turned so much the plastic parts are totally worn out. I don't feel like de-stringing it to find out :( My SR-3 tuning knob is very solid.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 11:48 am 

My SRII tuning shaft has a bit of a wobble.

For all their good characteristics IMO, these radios were not designed as a piece of precision high end equipment. Many of the mechanical and electrical systems are basically just one step above adequate as a consumer grade radio.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 01, 2021 1:47 pm 

In the future, if you need to lube or clean the volume and tone controls, you won't need to take the radio apart. Just spray some Deoxit or cleaner down the side of the shafts. There is enough play in the shafts themselves to allow cleaner / lube through. I do this probably 2-3 times a year with my Superadios, if / when when needed.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 05, 2021 1:40 am 

Renton481 wrote:
In the future, if you need to lube or clean the volume and tone controls, you won't need to take the radio apart. Just spray some Deoxit or cleaner down the side of the shafts. There is enough play in the shafts themselves to allow cleaner / lube through. I do this probably 2-3 times a year with my Superadios, if / when when needed.

Yes, I discovered that when I did it, I didn't have Deoxit but used that Nexxtech Contact and Head Cleaner I found at the Source, not sure if it has lubricating properties in it or not. Will invest in some Deoxit soon.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page 1, 2  Next