Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Fri 07, 2021 1:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: TO 7000-1 Transistor Measles
PostPosted: Jan Sat 26, 2013 12:36 am 

My thirteen dollar 7000-1 Transoceanic stopped working last night. I traced the problem to one of the transistors in the IF strip, then substituted with the ubiquitous 2N2222A and the set came right up.

When I examined the transistor I took out I noticed some bright places around the leads. Examination under magnification revealed lots of tiny bright spots all over the insulator between the leads and the case. Cleaning these deposits off brought the transistor back to life and made the radio happy.

This phenonenom is the transistor version of the infamous silver mica disease and was found back during the space program. Apparently it was not yet fixed when the transistors for this TO were made. Now I can wait for the next infection.

RRM

Post subject: Re: TO 7000-1 Transistor Measles
PostPosted: Jan Sat 26, 2013 1:57 am 

Interesting & thanks for posting... What did you use to remove the conductive "spots" ?

John

PostPosted: Jan Sat 26, 2013 2:05 am 

The tip of an exacto knife blade.

RRM

PostPosted: Jan Sat 26, 2013 6:04 am 

Retired Radio Man wrote:
My thirteen dollar 7000-1 Transoceanic stopped working last night. I traced the problem to one of the transistors in the IF strip, then substituted with the ubiquitous 2N2222A and the set came right up.

When I examined the transistor I took out I noticed some bright places around the leads. Examination under magnification revealed lots of tiny bright spots all over the insulator between the leads and the case. Cleaning these deposits off brought the transistor back to life and made the radio happy.

This phenonenom is the transistor version of the infamous silver mica disease and was found back during the space program. Apparently it was not yet fixed when the transistors for this TO were made. Now I can wait for the next infection.

RRM

That's very interesting! Hadn't seen that one before.

Brett

PostPosted: Jan Sat 26, 2013 11:19 pm 

Sounds like the "tin whiskers" problem.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 27, 2013 2:31 am 

...now, this makes me wonder if the transistors in the (a few years later) D7000 series were also subject to this phenomenon...something to watch out for, for sure...